Saturday, August 26, 2023

creativity round up for the week...

 

the addition is an improv flying geese row at top

I spent my creative time in my studio  this week

When I want to spend time in my happy place but If I can't focus on sewing, I sort... this time sorted paper piecing pattern copies collection.

 I looked through three books to come up with border ideas for my sunflower piece. I wasn't excited by any of them though...

I looked through my stash to choose fabrics to set off the sunflower piece. 

I googled medallion quilts for ideas on how to set my sunflower piece...! All those great quilts on one long page of images! Me with one unset sunflower block!

the improv geese came from the scraps making the sunflower itself...

I know they look like bits to throw away!

add in some tiny blue sky bits

then since I didn't know what to do next, I stopped and moved on...

I listened to two creatives on a podcast talking about women's value.... my takeaway was

first

when you find yourself lacking, who are you comparing yourself to? Is that right/smart/helpful? 

second

when you say to yourself, "I'm no good at "insert skill here" could that be changed to 

"I'd like to be better at "insert skill here" instead 

can you relate to self talk like this? 

I finished up an old EPP project, tumbling blocks done with scraps. I thought the edge might be floppy when finished like this


 

so I cut some large half hexagons, and basted them to insert into the edge

I safety pin them in place so I can sew this at night in front of the tv
 

 the color of the month at RSC is yellow. Use those yellow scraps...

I got out an old pattern, not realizing just how small the blocks were going to be, and chose 9 soft yellow prints to make some pears


If I had more energy I might have chosen hand dyes to make these, and will in future I think. 

this time I wanted to quickly make a couple blocks to try the pattern. I chose quickly and cut without dithering, and there is a lot of satisfaction in getting something done. 

I'm more known for saturated colors, so this will be a different experience. I should have taken more time and chosen green pears, some orange ones, maybe in batiks or hand dyes but not this day.

It's all good, I love fabric, patterns and colors


this was a new to me method for joining binding at the end. Mostly it's a video for beginners but the end had a fresh approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onjcpIz4xgo
 


linking with

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

off the wall Fridays 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/


11 comments:

Gwyned Trefethen said...

OK, you know I couldn't resist watching the YouTube video to find out what might be new. Excellent instructions. If I made utilitarian quilts I might follow them. But never will I forgo bias binding. It takes more time, however it wears much better. If you get a slight tear or wear at the edge of the quilt, if your binding is on the straight of the grain one thread on the edge of the quilt will open the full side. Not so with bias binding. The tip I recently picked up, in this video, too, is to shorten the length of the quilt by folding and pinning the quilt. I always "fought" the quilt in the past.

Those pears are so precious. I could imagine them done in the all the colors of the rainbow.

Creative Publish said...

I really like your creativity
Thanks for the effort

Helenchaffin said...

tumbling block quilts are one of those that you just wantta touch at quilt shows to see if it lays flat🤣 luv the pear blocks!

Sara said...

The tumbling block quilt is gorgeous, especially in those colors. The pears will be delightful in those soft yellows.

PaintedThread said...

Love those little tumbling blocks.

Sandy said...

Whew....you make me tired, lol. Seriously you move from project to project. I think your brain must work overtime to be so creative. LOVE the sunflower piece and the border looks great with it.
Traveling Suitcase

Kathleen said...

I love that Sunflower....maybe revisit some of the Stay at Home Round Robins for some other ideas for borders but the flying geese look great!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your projects are very creative. They are giving some inspiration! Thank You!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your Sunflower block is so gorgeous! And I'm loving the Tumbler quilt in progress. Good idea to finish the edges with large half hexies. Those mini pear blocks are adorable! Can't wait to see how you put them together. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/08/30/wednesday-wait-loss-343

Susan said...

So wonderful to see all of your creativity! You are on a roll!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

The sunflowers' border looks great! I love the EPP project too, and these cute pears are fun!
Thank you for sharing your projects, and linking up ;)