Saturday, September 2, 2023

gotta create! nothing finished to share but ... progress counts!

 

one set of drawers for threads
As happens in the life of a creative type, this is a week where lots of progress is made but nothing finished. The drawer unit above sits in studio one, the main sewing room. I got the little magnet of Emily Dickenson was bought years ago on a trip, the felt peeps wait, the artists model holds the requisite tiaras. 

I worked this week on my tumbling block quilt, sewing in the half hexies along the side, two to go, then time to quilt. The new color of the month at RSC is aqua,,, yum! here is a pic of some aqua scraps

see the half hexie pinned in place awaiting hand stitching

 

My pears quilt captured my attention and effort... I finished all the pears, set them and followed the pattern to make tiny checkerboard borders. It's all being quilted at the moment but I don't like to show things just before they are finished. I did some walking foot straight stitch, and some vines in free motion. I think I'll round out those pears with some free motion too. It's very straight and flat, the pic just distorted it

there are 9 pretty pears

 


I've decided that right now, while I'm still in a lot of pain from my body, I'm going to use my patterns. Mostly I work originally but there are times to just relax and follow a pattern, saving decisions for fabric choices. 

I'm taking a painting workshop but so far unable to actually take a class yet, hopefully Saturday I can learn Tam Laporte's butterfly painting techniques. The free 5 day session is through Art Soul Gathering. 

I got some fabric and my neocolor crayons out, since I want to try them on fabric with a portrait


Celebrate with me as I found my long lost-to-me sock knitting supplies. I feel like knitting despite the nearly 100F temps we are dealing with. 

While in the studio I am listening to audio books, and find it keeps me in there much longer. 

I have been creative in the kitchen, one of my recipes was on Thursday's " I Like" post, and soup this week to use an aging Leek in the fridge. All the vegetables soup. 


 a short video find this week

 want to join two skeins of yarn in a knot that holds but it small? 

in case you can't open it: link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1lJZtH0a5s

an upcoming workshop I've liked in the past:

 rebecca page is doing a free quilting seminar... I have been quilt making since I was about 7 but I'm taking it, just to see if there is something fun.... starts in September

REGISTER FOR FREE TODAY!  

linking with

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

off the wall Fridays 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/


 

8 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Been with you here for a while as I had to read your past posts and catch up. Ned still goes to his crate sometimes too and Petey absolutely loves his, but that might be because he is a little anxious and it soothes him somehow. Anyway, love those pears and the quilting lines. Great looking homemade food at your house too. Audio books are my favourite in the sewing room but haven't made it in there much lately. Ok, gone on enough. Milo will probably have his manly smell already. :D

Sara said...

The pears will be so cute. Can't go wrong with a checkerboard border. That tumbling block project is beautiful.

Helen said...

I signed up for that class too. I'm not committing to do every lesson, but I did do Tam's butterfly. She makes it look so easy! Mine looks okay, but I end up "fixing" what I mess up with watercolor with colored pencils. I want to try the leaf girl one. Looks interesting.

Kathleen said...

I really love the way the pears turned out. It makes sense to use patterns to ease the process and have the quilting be more therapeutic for you and I am sure you will add some touches of you as you go along. Love the tumbling blocks.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

The tumbling blocks are wonderful all together, aqua is such a pretty color! I love the green and yellow pears, and the border. Creative quilting too!
Thank you for sharing, and linking up ;)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the look of your pear quilt! Looking forward to seeing the whole thing!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

So sorry that your pain continues. You are an inspiration, pushing through the pain to create such beauty. I'm loving the quilting you are doing on the Pear quilt and can't wait to see the finish! So beautiful. Your hexie project is coming along quickly and just shimmers with color. Love it so much! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/09/06/wednesday-wait-loss-344

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those pears are SEW darling, LeeAnna! Thank you for the workshop information. I hadn't seen info on either of those. I'm sorry that you are still in a lot of pain. :o((