Saturday, August 19, 2023

and still I must create.... sunflowers

 


this was a perfect project for this week. Paper piecing pattern, extremely well done and organized! 

I  copied the actual patterns, cut them out, arranged them and put dabs of tape so they wouldn't confuse me

I used colored pencil to make general color notes by scribbling in the sections. 

one by little one I made the sections according to my ability to concentrate this week. After they were pieced, I put them back in place.

re-taping them to the whole

Saturday I sewed the small sections together, according to the organized list given by the pattern maker, Quilt art designs

then before I knew it, it was all together, much smaller than I thought 25 sections should be, lol

I used hand dye and prints for all of it but the background green , and yellow scraps are the RSC color of the month, 

the whole thing is only about 12" finished... but pretty. I took the image on the first border I think I'll use, but I could use your help... I'm rubbish at choosing borders and think this needs some... unless I use this for my SAHRR next year... 

nah! I'd love to hang it up this year in September... so help me decide what pieced borders to put around it Please!

this is the pile of scraps after doing paper piecing ... heh no scrap left behind...

shall I do some improv geese?

linking with

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

off the wall Fridays 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/








13 comments:

Sara said...

The paper pieced sunflower is beautiful. Unless the paper piecing is fairly simple I also end up taking a colored pencil to the papers to mark the sections. It's so easy to get confused.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is beautiful, LeeAnna! I love sunflowers and have made a few in fabric and embroidered, but nothing as intricate as that. You should definitely finish it to hang it up this fall!

Erin the Cat Princess said...

Bravo, that turned out really well. Love the colour and contrasts in this. You could maybe play around with different fabrics to get a series of such blooms, the same yet different, like an Andy Warhol design.
ERin

Mari said...

I love your sunflower! How about a skinny yellow border followed by a wider green? If you used a 1 inch yellow and a 2 inch green, that would make your finished piece 18 inches, just right for a wall hanging. Love it no matter what you choose.

Susie H said...

Doesn't look like you have enough scraps for much of an improv flying geese border. Maybe take up Mari's suggestion of the green & yellow borders with a few of the improv flying geese scattered in the border? Your call but it is really pretty!

Sharon Kwilter said...

It turned out beautiful

PaintedThread said...

Love how it looks! So many pieces!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Incredible, LeeAnna!! I really like the idea of it being the center of next year's SAHRR, but it would also be lovely to finish it off for next month. Best of luck deciding on borders!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful sunflower!!! Are you thinking of wonky improv borders? I can!! A gentle curve would be fun. You could also go with black and white so it was more of a frame. . .a checkerboard border would make the block look more traditional. . .so many options!!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your sunflowers are beautiful! A border would be great, I love the suggestion made by Mari, maybe nothing too busy to not distract the eye from the sunflowers. Whatever you choose will be pretty!
Thank you for sharing your wonderful block, and linking up.

Twyla said...

you must be a very patient sewist. The sunflowers are just great. Hope you are feeling better.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

What a lovely block! Took a lot to sew that one I know. And the result is so pretty. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/08/23/wednesday-wait-loss-342

quiltingbydawn said...

Lovely! Who doesn't love a sunflower! Your color choices are fantastic! I would put a narrow border on it to make it the correct size for a frame or stretch over a canvas. Proudly hang it up in the fall!