Sunday, March 5, 2023

second creativity post this week... stay at home round robin with 3-D pinwheels! whee!

Creativity Post part Deux!  The prompt for Stay-at-home-round-robin this week is pinwheels... Perfect for my spring quilt! whee!

I used this tutorial to make my blocks..

.https://scrapdash.com/tag/how-to-make-a-3d-pinwheel-quilt-block/

started with pinwheel fabrics cut 3" two sewn together on diagonal on either side of a center line, cut apart, makes two little blocks


 you'll need four background pieces cut at 2.5" as well 

they are just the most adorable 3-D blocks!!!


I didn't figure out the tricks til I was on block 4... you must trim the beginning triangle units down to 2.5"

 


 before folding them inward (wrong sides together) and pressing into a finished edge triangle unit. Then put it on the background block, fold over, and baste in place. 


time to baste them to the background squares,

folding them in


and sew them together. There is a lot of bulk so go slowly

the blocks are so cute, just really thick in the seam allowances and hard to press. They will be impossible to quilt I think. 

in a little line....
 

ooooo, what if I put the peeps bunnies in there?

this is the last prompt so I'm starting to design this top already...

My plan is to applique little "sticks"  to the bottoms of my blowing spring piunwheels when I put the whole top together kind of like this... stuck in the grass

I have a while to finish this top, and admit I'm tired of pressure of doing this challenge plus project quilting all at the same time. After all, I have painting and writing and baking to do! crikey!

I always want to put it all in one quilt, and have to let this one be with only a few cute fabric additions to help frame the blocks. It was a fun challenge, and will take a lot of effort to quilt. 

thank you for looking! Tell me what you think!

Linking to

SAHRR

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/ 

 



10 comments:

Laura K said...

I think it's wonderful - so creative.

PaintedThread said...

Those pinwheels are so cool!

The Joyful Quilter said...

It will be interesting to see how your SAHRR comes together, LeeAnna. LOVE those 3-D Pinwheels!! You made the most of the block by using value to its fullest potential. Thanks for sharing the tutorial link!

Joanne said...

This is looking so fun and Spring like !

Kathy said...

So many challenges have been mastered! It all goes together so well--just give yourself a bit more space around the elements so each can be enjoyed separately as well as part of the whole picture. Your work is always so surprising when you put all your pieces together! Those pinwheels are great!

Helen said...

Love these pinwheels. They're going to be my favorite part, I can tell!

Quilting Gail said...

I LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! your 3 D pinwheels!!!
Fantastic creativity!!!
Thanks for linking to SAHRR #6!
quilting gail

grammajudyb said...

It’s just the most creative piece of arty-ness! I love all the parts, flowers, birds, bunnies! I even spy a watering can!! It’s going to be wonderful hanging in your home to welcome Spring! If she ever shows up!!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Simply adorable! Love the fabrics and the design choices you've made. Hope you can manage to get it quilted for spring. How fun to see it hanging up during the season! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Such a lovely new row! Your pinwheels are very creative, and fun! They play very well with little bunnies ;)
Thanks for sharing the how-to, and linking up!