Saturday, March 18, 2023

my creative week number two.... spring bunnies and little hexies

For part two of my creative week, I have two things to share. The first is my Stay-At-Home-Round-Robin quilt, "Spring Bunnies" is finished! Yea! 

I made this into a spring theme this year, figuring out how to adjust prompts to fit into that!

"Spring Bunnies" 39" X 47"

We have had 6 prompts, and I've posted that week's blocks each time, with pattern sources and close ups. This week I will just share some close ups of my choices

The first prompt was "spool" blocks, and mine is in the image below... I did one with flowers as a vase

This image also shows the   star blocks mine are flowers), and pinwheels too


 

square in a square blocks hold precious mousie fabrics

below are two bird blocks done as square in a square too









hourglass blocks are done in sky fabrics

more flying geese form a butterfly

it was a puzzle to figure out how to piece all these blocks into a unified whole top!








The star "flower" blocks have a sun button in them

I added in cute little appliques to make me happy... see my snail smiling? (for Joanne)

I made the "sticks" for my 3-D pinwheels with metallic braid appliqued in place. Two fabrics per blade, folded and caught in seams... pattern is in original pinwheel post.. Note two different greens used as background for interest. That adorable tiny daisy fabric makes me happy!

All that and a dancing bunny....

this was very heavy and difficult to quilt on my little sewing machine, and my shoulders hurt now...the binding was one of my fave fabrics,

wee little purple blossoms before it was turned back and hand stitched to the backing fabric. Another lesson learned... I used a pink with leaves batik for my backing. It was nearly impossible to hand stitch the binding through it! I added in the sleeve before the binding, catching it in the seamline.

I decided next time I do one of these, I'm doing rows. Simple rows.

this is like a recipe that has all good ingredients but the final dish doesn't taste great... I like all the components but not the total thing really.... live and learn and move on. 

hanging in the family room...


 

Things I like, those pinwheels! my center bunny! the spool block as a vase, and those birds.

Next up, my hand stitching hexie scrap project is growing!!!

47 hexies in each petal!

5 petals sewn on my tiny hexie project... following colors of rainbow scrap challenge... this month's color is green...

I posted on Part One of my week, my finished Project Quilting quilt... the prompt was "fears" so I made this in one day

the post, with two paintings as well, is   (HERE  ) or just keep scrolling down. Please visit and tell me what you think....thanks!

All in all, two finishes in one week is a lot for me, I'm taking a rest while I do Sketchbook Revival next week and focus on drawing and painting!

SAHRR

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

finished or not

 

16 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love the Round Robin quilt! All those bunnies, pinwheels and such whimsical fun! What a delight! How big is that quilt? Are you going to hang it somewhere (you should it is such a fun celebration of spring). I love your hexies!!! Have a great weekend!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

A Happy quilt, that is a lot of work piecing it together. The smiling snail is adorable.

Helen said...

I'm going to have to remember your thought "like a recipe that has all good ingredients but the final dish doesn't taste great." Sometimes I have a painting that feels that way. There are so many wonderful little parts to this quilt... the pinwheels, the spool vase, the star flowers, the robins. I bet it makes you smile to see it on your wall.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So many fun details in your round robin finish! I love the way you made your pinwheels, and also the appliqued bits you added. Enjoyed reading about your FOMO project, too. I always think you have the best scraps!

Sara said...

Every little addition to your spring quilt just brings a smile. So whimsical and adorable!!! Your artist eye sure makes the quilt come alive. Wowza!!

MissPat said...

What a delightful little quilt. I'm sorry it didn't please you in the end. I've been amazed at how the round robin participants have adapted the idea and used creative alternatives instead of just adding one border after another. Yours is one of the best of this year's crop.
Pat

Helenchaffin said...

Beautiful Spring quilt!

Maggie said...

What a gorgeous quilt with all the most creative ways to follow all the prompts. Beautiful, love the hexies. Have an amazing weekend.

Joanne said...

Great job ! Beautiful ! So creative how you can bring that round robbin together !
Hexis sure is growing ! FOMO ! That's a winner !

Susie H said...

I think you did a great job on all the SAHRR steps to do as you pleased. I was at a local quilt shop last week and saw your darling bunnies fabric in 2 (or was it 3?) color ways. They were on the Sale Table. Want me to go back and get you some more? *wink*

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on your freshly finished Spring-themed SAHRR quilt, LeeAnn!! You packed SEW many darling details into this project. Enjoy displaying it this season (and for years to come!)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Congratulations on the two finishes! I love your SAHRR, an ode to Spring and a lot of cute blocks to spy. These pinwheels are my favorites too ;) What a clever way to add sticks! I'm going back to read about the other finished project.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

Deb A said...

What a fun SAHRR finish! So many cute elements all incorporated into a fun spring quilt.

Kathleen said...

Two finishes is an accomplishment for most of us. I love so many elements of your SAHRR - the bunnies, the pinnies, the thread vase, and the square in a square blocks. I am sure there is more…. Sorry you aren’t in love with it. I wonder if you can find an artistic way to enhance/change what you don’t like. We are our worst critics.

Quilting Gail said...

Your SAHRR is very clever. I enjoyed reading about how you made the prompts fit into your Spring quilt!
Thank you for linking to the SAHRR '23 Parade!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your SAHRR is full of so many beautiful things! Love it. And those bunnies make me smile. The colors in your hexie project are divine. So luscious! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell linkup, Wednesday Wait Loss.