Saturday, March 25, 2023

My creative week was full of color!

 

I remember now! I love painting! 

I have enjoyed a week of Sketchbook revival video lessons this week and it continues with terrific teachers.... I won't share it all this week, but opened with one lesson in freeing yourself up to color that can be used by any artist. 

I will share some of my quilting after this because I enjoy many mediums... 

The teacher for that project is Helen Wells. 

>Draw an organic blobby shape, >then over that a zigzaggy shape. >then draw a line from top of page to bottom, and one from side to side. Look at the shapes created, color them in (I used tombow markers and colored pencils) trying out color mix, colors next to each other, leaving some areas white, outlining others, and then see if there is a shape you like to use later. 

Otherwise just have fun and warm up for other art...

I had to contend with several body failures this week but in between the issues....

I returned to my pineapple ruler (G. Fitzgerald) this week and to my box of green scraps for Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month, and made 6 blocks in greens, each one is about 8.5" square

My green scraps are not particularly pretty, but all the prints mixed are! 

so far I have made these with that pineapple ruler, and might, just might, have figured out how to use it

but not how to arrange them all 

lots of colors to come, no pressure, but it's a good way to convert raggedy scrap strips. I have been changing the method to suit myself. She has us using 1.5" strips and I often cut squares on the diagonal once or twice to use instead. Very little waste that way. 

also decided to make a " table scraps" piece for next week at Thejoyfulquilter  

Mostly this week, I am immersed in painting, drawing, and color on paper though... I do a small portrait of each teacher, this is the list so far...

so far I've painted beautiful portraits of dogs, people, fruits, in so many different ways, and quite like all of them. I've learned to paint a portrait just adding in shading in all colors! (post next Friday)

my husband says I should just paint, it's less dangerous than quiltmaking but you understand don't you? All art making is good! All of it informs the others. All learning is good too, and fun. I will do a special post of these lessons next week, because it's been such a learning tool. 

I am especially focusing on shading and creating depth for myself. That should help also in art quilts. 

each teacher leaves us with a nugget of their wise words, but most say be bold and have fun as well

Today I am hoping to use my stick pen, a crystal flamingo used  to dip into ink and make lines. I have had it a year and not used it. I don't think it's a fear exactly but doing something very different like using a bottle of ink, a hard glass pen, to leave lines is unusual for me. 

do you purchase supplies then not use them? I want to stop doing that! (gouache, here I come) I'll leave you with something silly you can do too...

paint blobs of paint, then find images in them

don't dither, just do it

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but it's always stimulating!

from the lesson with Mike Lowery

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

finished or not

11 comments:

Mari said...

I love the pineapple blocks! When you put them all together at the end they will look cool and tropical. Have fun with the painting!

My name is Erika. said...

So much fun color and also some great art too. The quilting is as lovely as ever, and your drawings are just fun! I love the smiling teapot and your faces are great. Have a super rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika

Kathleen said...

That first sketch is a lot of fun. Might follow your instructions, as I never do anything like this. Was thinking it could be fun on fabric with those Derwent pencils! Its kind of a Picasso moment if you ask me. Love your pineapple blocks too. Nice when we do figure out the tools we have. Sorry for your physical things this week....prayers for a better one for you this week.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

It's good to have a mix of art forms in your tool box. . .Love the teacher portraits! Your use of colors inspires me every time!

Helenchaffin said...

your painting scribble lines reminds me of my childhood, my mom would draw something similar to this for us to color as opposed to a coloring book,luv the quilt blocks as well!

Helen said...

I love that you're taking part in this creative class. Learning from different teachers opens up new directions for our art. The blog-zigzag seems like one I'd enjoy.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Such pretty pineapple blocks! I think I like the organized layout, but that's not me so I'll probably like the random when there are more blocks. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

Ann said...

My sister has been making pineapple quilts recently and now you. How do you like your ruler? I can't decide whether to use one or just go on my own. But you both have me salivating over the blocks. Lovely.

Rebecca Grace said...

Just your week was full of color? Your whole LIFE is full of color! That's why we LOVE YOU so much! Your pineapple log cabin blocks look fabulous!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I love your enthusiasm and the joy that shines through in your quilts and artwork, Leeanna, even despite your pain. You are truly an inspiration. The first abstract is wonderful, and I love the technique you were taught. Your quilting is so intricate - I really love the green. All of your little portraits are wonderful, too. I can see the personality of each person come through. And yes, I do buy supplies that I don't use, but eventually they get rediscovered and used in some way, but not for the original project! Hope you have some sunshine this week to make you smile. xx K

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

oh I love your painting too - so bold!
Loving those pineapples!!!