Saturday, April 2, 2022

sewing saturday new blocks and hand embroidery

 

welcome to this week's quiet sewing round-up! After finishing three big challenges last week, and doing two posts on the finished quilts, I enjoyed tidying up the studio, and making a few blocks. 

this block is from the AQS (maker Gyleen Fitzgerald) newsletter as a free block. It's not easy to piece together, and there us a bit of distortion. I'm making mine in Rainbow scrap challenge colors of the month, this month is pink which I love

and I decided to use my 1930's scraps if I can... I love these whimsical little prints and have made some bed sized quilts from those prints. This pattern uses templates, ewwwww, and insert seams. For my non quilting friends, this means sewing precisely stopping and starting at intersections, continuing on after repositioning the fabric angles. 

I like the look of this so I went on to do previous month's colors of red, turquoise, and yellow

I also pulled out my fabric collage started with Textile Artist workshop. Draw/paint on fabric, then cut it up and overlap pieces, then hand stitch... this is the main piece ironed to shirt tailor, that I hand stitched

you don't seam the bits, you hand stitch over raw edges. I played. I used a variety of threads, stitches and buttons

buttons

so much fun to do... must do this more and with beads next time. I think I might make a paint journal with this as the book cover


we saw a book binding/journal making video at the start of Sketchbook Revival this year... now I want to try my hand at that but with a fabric cover... 

I'm behind in the video lessons but loving and learning from each... imagine having a small journal of special drawings or paintings to keep...

 saw this and thought I'd pass it on to you all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHDhjk3v31s
Linking with

RSC

patchwork Sunday                    
oh Scrap Sundays 
 slow stitching Sundays

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

Midweek makers wednesdays 

off the wall Fridays 

finished or not 

 

20 comments:

Sara said...

Beautiful fabric collage! And if you make it into a journal cover you can enjoy it each time you use the journal.

PaintedThread said...

Oh, wow those outside pieces on the blocks are one piece? They look great, but that must be a pain to cut and sew together.

Sara said...

I had forgotten about that MS video from earlier in March, but went back and watched again this morning. Now I want to make some of those folios!! LOL

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fun with PINK and with Sketchbook Revival, too? Go, you!! Thanks for the video link, LeeAnna.

Ann said...

Such pretty colors. You have lots of fun with your paintings.

piecefulwendy said...

The quilt blocks are lovely, and I love what you are doing with the journal cover! I'm off to check out that MSQC video!

Joanne said...

So multi talented with textiles LeeAnna !
You sure have created a lot of wonderful projects in the studio as well as the kitchen during the pandemic ! Keeping it going with all the ups and downs ! Super !
Thanks for sharing and inspiring !
hugs, take care,
Joanne

AnnieO said...

Love the 30s fabrics too. Lots of color and thread play in your stitchy life.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful projects you are working on! Happy stitching!

Kim said...

I love the way you play, LeeAnna! Your collage is brimming with fabulous creativity. Oh those blocks....they do look a bit tricky to sew, but how fun they are in those whimsical 30's prints.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such sweet blocks and love the fabric collage pieces. How creative

grammajudyb said...

I love how willing you are to try new techniques, new ways of doing something. And your ability to put the pieces together and the results are fantastic! I agree, your fabric collage would make a great journal cover. I’m going to watch the video when I get into my sewing room today! Thanks!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Cute pink blocks.

Rebecca Grace said...

Your 30s prints are perfect for those blocks, and I think they came out great! I love the idea of using your collage piece as a book cover, too. No creative experiments wasted in your studio!

Judy Hansen said...

Those blocks look difficult, but are sure pretty. I love your collage work - so inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us, Hugs, Judy

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Love your RSC blocks, and the new one is very pretty! Cute pink fabrics, they suit the pattern I think. Beautiful collage and painted project too.
Thnak you for sharing your inspiration, and linking up!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

That workshop piece is amazing! Love it. What a perfect cover it would make for your journal. Thanks for sharing it on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Susan said...

Pretty blocks and a great idea to do them in the RSC colors

Sandy Panagos said...

30s prints are so sweet! Your fabric collage is fun.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those pink blocks are really pretty!