Saturday, April 9, 2022

Sewing round up and one painting... in pink

 

For this week, I have several projects to share, some in progress, one finished and one painting. 

I have many creative interests, assuring I will always have something fun to work on! I am deeply into painting this week but took some time out to make some Twinkle blocks for rainbow scrap challenge. 

I made the smaller size of the twinkle star but wanted a larger one. The tutorial is  HERE 

While I was at it I made one in each color of the month so far


The focus color of scraps for April is pink... yea! 

Continuing on is my painted fabric hand stitching collage... I stitched it mostly while zooming with Joy this week, the tine flew by as it does when you are in the company of a good friend. I once said I had become despondent about ever seeing friends in person again, and Joy said, we ARE together. 

It's true, she is on the east coast and I'm in Colorado, so this is THE best way to share our lives when so far apart in physical distance... 

This piece is about 10 square, and painted fabric bits laid over each other, then hand stitched down with various stitches...
 


A while back textile artists had us paint fabric, cut it up and hand stitch. I got out my painted fabrics scrap box and made two (and a half, that's another story) pieces from the scrap box and like them a lot. 

the edge treatment is a buttonhole stitch with some beads attached in one corner and on the bottom

see the cute buttons? cute with french knots and straight stitch

It is meditative and soothing to hand stitch for me. No plan, just seeing color appear on the surface with pretty hand dyed threads, feeling the texture develop. wondering how it would look with a button or bead. 

I think it's an exercise in letting go really. If it isn't to my liking I add more and keep going. Kind of like life itself... and I'm using my supplies.

for a break, while finishing one audio book (cooking with picasso) which was awesome read to me complete with French bits, then starting a wonderful new audio mystery 

I mindlessly put together some batik triangle shaped scraps with some black ones into this...

Don't know where it's headed... but it was soothing to make.I lost track of time in my book... which means I lost track of worries and bodily pain too... which is a side benefit of creating

Mostly this week I painted. I am trying to explore all the lessons in Scrapbook Revival before they disappear, and have learned so much this time. The top lesson is to take the lesson even if it seems not relevant to your style... each time I have gone ahead and done the exercise I have learned and grown

I painted this not from a lesson but because the supplies were out, I wanted to see pink, and I felt beaten up by all the violence by humans in our world this week...

All the colors get along, each one enhancing the whole. And there is room for gold to sparkle on top

an intriguing video for you... combining junk journal making with sewing tool storage


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cacuC8XsryQ

Linking to

patchwork Sunday                    
oh Scrap Sundays 
 slow stitching Sundays

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

Midweek makers wednesdays 

off the wall Fridays 

finished or not

20 comments:

Sara said...

Your hand stitched piece is a work of art! Wow! The Twinkle Stars are so fun to make. I did just one this week but have some scraps set aside to make a couple more pink ones next week.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much to comment on this week (and a sweet PINK painting, too!!!) Congrats on getting your RSC blocks made. Love, love, LOVE the painted and stitched art piece you created!! I'm wondering where you are headed with that new geese piece. Fun!!

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - love those stars. And those batik triangles. So pretty!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The Twinkle Stars are so fun - thanks for linking to the tutorial! I read book #1 of the Ruth Galloway series a few weeks ago, now waiting impatiently for book 2! I enjoy seeing all the different places your painting and sewing take you.

Needled Mom said...

The art quilt is beautiful…so much to see there. I also love the Twinkle blocks. The colorful geese will make a spectacular quilt. I admire your painted flower. Mine would not look like a flower.

Laura said...

Love that star block. Thanks for posting the link. I also love to see your little multi media works. Hand stitching intuitively is fun.

piecefulwendy said...

So many fun projects, but I love those Twinkle blocks!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Love your painting. My sister says "Practice, Practice, Practice" the things she learns in her art classes. Your geese are interesting as are the stars and your painted art square. Thank you for such interesting projects and the link back to the pattern.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Such beautiful projects. That pink flower with the word 'Peace" is exquisite.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such beautiful projects... the pink peace is captivating!
And your collage is also amazing!
Thanks for sharing your creativity with us!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful projects you are working on. Love your collage and the pink peace! Hope you have a great week!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely new star blocks, the pink one is cute. Beautiful textile art too, fun attached beads! You are very talented, all your art is beautiful, and this painted flower too.
Thank you for sharing and linking up!

Kim said...

Mankind is atrocious to one another. Your Peace flower is perfect. The Twinkle blocks are so pretty. As for your collage it is playing in the very best sense. I love the thought that this piece helped to soothe your mind and body as you creatively stitch each element. So, so much loveliness for the eye to rest upon. Your beautiful piece has created much happiness♡

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I always enjoy seeing what you are up to. I find your art so inspiring! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

MissPat said...

I made one Twinkle Star the year Angela used them for RSC and cut pieces for several more, but stalled out and never returned to them. Yours are looking good.
Pat

CathieJ said...

Your Twinkle Stars are beautiful. I love how you are embraceing som many different forms of art to soothe your mind and easy your body. I find it does the same for me. I have yet to try my hand at painting. Someday...

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Hey LeeAnna! You, colorful creative woman! I may not visit often but I do think of you when I’m working on something new and colorful.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Love your twinkle quilting and your painted fabric collages! So creative - and the beautiful painting of the pink flower. I think it is true that being creative soothes the soul and focuses the mind on beauty instead of the cruelties of this world. You are inspiring. x K

time4stitchn said...

Your blog has remained on my screen at the top of my tabs. I am so taken with your work. I have seen your work many times over the years and am so impressed with how you have evolved. The beautiful floral piece painting is amazing. And your hand work/ collage piece is also fascinating with all its details. Truly love your work.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Those RSC blocks really twinkle! Love your handstitched piece. It looks relaxed and easy but so full of detail and beauty! Love it. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.