Saturday, August 28, 2021

sewing saturday scraps, and table scraps


47 half square triangle blocks!! The coaster is 6.5" square

 It is small but it goes on a table, it's a coaster. I made it from the cut away triangles after making the bats and boos block, so when the tiny sparkly triangles are sewn they make a 1.25" square block to use.

tried lots of concepts with them...

 this is my table scraps offering this month... two finished coasters and two runners for fall in progress

I used a turquoise scrap as accent. Turquoise/teal/aqua is the color of the month at rainbow Scrap Challenge, and I worked on two other turquoise scrap projects this week. First another in the goddess series

but I wasn't sure whether to add in this lovely batik for borders, to be sewn with freeform curvy edges. To me it's artistic, the colors leading you to more distinct piecework inn the center. A friend suggested I insert a coral strip, maybe... 

I sewed some narrow strips together to create a pot. I have a wildflower pot on the porch, and drew a pic of it in my calendar. That inspired me to make a banner quilt...

where I think it's headed, but longer... 

the week started with these three, and one by one they grew...

you saw the goddess with border fabric. This is the one on the bottom right with chosen borders.

It was smaller til I added in the sunflowers on the left and the red fossil fern leaves on the right... satisfied with that I then found the batik to put around it to make it into a good sized table runner for fall.





as for the little abstract on the top... I couldn't decide what to do with it... til... I thought how about a row by row style??





I have chosen these fabrics so now I just have to pick sizes and sew it. I see it on one of our pillars to decorate for fall... 

I finally chose border fabrics for my bats and boos, and for the kaleidoscope. 

Always something fun to do in the studio that is small but mighty!

linking with 

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays

patchwork Sunday                    
oh Scrap Sundays 

https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/ 


19 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

Well, I think you have used it all in these scrappy pieces, LeeAnna. lol Have a great week.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much AQUA/TEAL/TURQUOISE fun going on in your studio, LeeAnna!!! Thanks for linking up with the August 2021 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge. I always enjoy seeing what you've been up to!

Sara said...

You had lots of fun with these bits and pieces!! The little coaster with all of those tiny HST is awesome!

PaintedThread said...

Your coaster is cute! I love all your scrappy projects.

MissPat said...

Between painting and fabric scraps, you have been keeping very busy. Some fun things to help you forget the chaotic world around us.
Pat

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Lots of colour and creative filled posts ! That is a lot of photos to keep track of and post !
Love the big blue pot ! Looks great!
have a great weekend !
hugs,
Joanne

Michele McLaughlin said...

You are the scrap queen! I'm so impressed with how well you use your scraps!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your 47 tiny HSTs put me to shame - I burned out after 20. The scrappy bits make amazing art in your studio! I love the piece you're working on that is inspired by your pot of wildflowers!

grammajudyb said...

So many things to admire! Wowza! I’m interested to see where your wildflower pot will end up! It’s great! Yikes, tour HSTs are too cute! A friend would say, “ it’s stinkin cute”. It means she loves it!

sonja said...

like your color combos mucho! the b/w zig zagy blocks do remind me of the optical migraines i get occasionally. lucky for me without pain and result in a 20 minuet rest. i 2 love making scrappy pieces into little works of art and perhaps a start of something else...

Tails Around the Ranch said...

That blue coaster is quite pretty. Love the blue with the black and white.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

All these scraps have a pretty new life! I love the vase, so pretty!
Thanks for sharing ;)

QuiltGranma said...

What a darling pair of minis! You have been productive!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE that you use your scraps in such a creative and unique way. These are all quite stunning. Most impressive.

Ann said...

These are so cute. I thought they were larger. Funny, how we always see "our personal scale."
You combine fabrics in such a sophisticated manner.

Angie said...

LeeAnna - I lean toward straight lines and geometric shapes, so I was drawn to the coaster on the right. All the more impressive that it's 47 half squares!! Wow!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

It's like visiting an art museum each time I read one of your posts. Lovely projects! Thanks for sharing them on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Scrapatches said...

Sew creative. I do love your use of color to make these improv quilts like the blue pot and the goddess series. I have my bats and boos scrap triangles collecting in a pile. Maybe I will feel inspired to make something pretty with them. Maybe they will go in my scrap triangle stash. Time will tell. Need to get the big quit done first. Thanks for linking up this week ... :) Pat

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Perfect table scraps offerings!!