Saturday, August 7, 2021

Sewing Saturday

 

I have been mostly sewing on the kaleidoscope quilt this week and would rather wait to show you the top finished. So.... these are two little sweaters in the color of the month, sort of since it's hard to identify. I think Angela at rainbow scrap challenge said turquoise or aqua or something between blue and green. 

When I looked it up, I read the color cyan is a mix of blue and green and there is talk of it here

https://colorpsychologymeaning.com/color-turquoise/

My favorite shirt falls in this color range, and I love turquoise  in general. The page above says if one really likes this color :

"They’re more interested in doing their own thing and self expression rather than trying to fit in with or follow the crowd. Even though they’re bright colors that stands out, a wearer would probably not be looking for attention, simply wishing to express themselves without looking for the approval or opinions of others.You have an ability to see things clearly and objectively, you don’t let personal biases affect your decisions or way of thinking.

You find focusing on one task at a time boring, you prefer to undertake multiple tasks."

which brings me back to this week's post! 


 

While making decisions about the direction this would go, and it's difficult sometimes to make a choice as it then limits the choice making! Does that make sense to you? Until I make a choice it's all open to me... but I also love to finish things so after a lot of auditions of different blues, 

they all have a different tone... and this isn't all I tried!
 I chose  two to look like a bright autumn sky, and think I want the border pretty simple so I can focus on the center. 

 while pondering these decisions I started sewing leftover strata together for fun

My little bin is AQUA too!

for instance when cutting out the strata for one piece with a dash of bright yellow, these little shards were left. 

Of course I kept them!

note their size against the 1" grid above. I kept sewing them together til that ADORABLE little flower like thing emerged. This might me my favorite surprise. 
they aren't all the same size but I just sewed them together and loved seeing the fabrics in larger amounts. Ricky Tims Kaleidoscope pattern requires that you let go and let the pieces fall where they may, and enjoy the ride. I was sad that some pretty fabrics came down to a splash of color however the whole thing on my wall is breathtaking to me! Can't wait to show you the top finished! 
 
when looking at the cutaway leftovers, I decided to trim some down to a diamond shape, and wanted them all the same angles and sizes so I got out the temporary tape to tell me where to cut

 

not sure what this will be yet but I like the way this looks for something.

so I basically move the bits around til I get a little excited feeling from them, and sometimes sew them without plan, sometimes trim into a shape like the diamond. They will turn into something for sure.
 

I have 25- 60 degree diamonds to turn into a runner, a lot of small wedges like above to turn into starlike fans to put into something, three  improv  pieces that could be mug rugs for fall. 

 I have sandwiched the purple mountain piece, the 9-patch runner, and the green and purple floral improv so they are all waiting to be over-quilted! I had to do the kaleidoscope this week since the class was going on (I think you can find the sessions on youtube now) but there's a lot of fun ahead. 

It's still very hot and summer but fall will come eventually and I love those colors too

wildflower seeds in a big pot

So this week was one of using my stash of larger fabrics in the strata, then one of using the "new" scraps from that piece, plus getting ready to quilt some work from last month. I listened to two books on audio while sewing this week so I'm "reading too" and caught a good bit of Olympics as well. 

Did you see the artistic swimming? Now the bizarre rhythmic gymnastics is going.

Women multitask

                                                                     Linking with
patchwork Sunday                    
oh Scrap Sundays 
                                                                scrap happy Saturdays

9 comments:

MissPat said...

I love the partial blocks that are coming out of the kaleidoscope scraps and I'm sure you will turn the into a wonderful improv piece. I still haven't looked at the videos for the QAL and it's going to be hot again this coming week so no sewing time except the two afternoons I get to go visit friends with AC.
Pat

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have lots of fun little scrappy things going on in your studio! I'm looking forward to seeing the kaleidoscope project!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

A mere 45 days and counting until the magic season arrives, aka autumn. 😊 Color me happy about that!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your pretty scraps from the kaleidoscope project are now beautiful new blocks! Looks like you have a lot of fun assembling them!
Thank you for linking up today 😊

Sara said...

The little sweaters are adorable as usual. But I'm especially taken by the shade of blue you added to the Kaleidoscope. Late in the fall we see that dark blue sky above the harvested fields. And that pop of blue is perfect in with the fall colors - in fact it feels like it was needed and in just that shade.

QuiltGranma said...

So good to see you playing with your fabrics, I think you are trying to inspire me to do something quilty too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fun sweaters for the RSC, LeeAnna!! I'm glad you got a lot of sewing done last week, as I did none. Looking forward to seeing how those Fall-like colors come together into something interesting!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your sneak peaks are so enticing! Can't wait to see what develops. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Susan said...

Very pretty stars!