Saturday, July 3, 2021

Sewing Saturday just beachy!

 Welcome to this week's creative round up! Painting + Fabric + Sewing! I will start with my playdate on zoom this week with Joy

I got out some stamps, ink pads, and several ink pens and pencils for fabric. That's how the images looked stamped on muslin


using these. I stamped the face image (Jane Davenport) and used two leaf twigs around her head strategically to look like hair. Colored the image in 

prismacolor pencil plus fabrico markers

and she's so pretty!!! The Laurel Birch stamp (from a scrapbooking convention years ago) of a dog and cat was colored in with these inexpensive fabric pens available at JoAnn's

and I didn't like the harsh colors despite blending... til time passed and the colors migrated to fill in and blend in a lovely way by end of evening. We'll see what comes out of these two pretties...

Now for the real work done this week on my cabana's quilt. My calendar page this month is a beach/cabana scene, which made me chuckle as I was really into the piecing this week.

remember the Moda Row by row book? and snail's trails?

I made more snails trails using the color of the month at RSC, blue again, and my scraps, but decided to set them differently in my quilt. I got out my cute candy fabric collection to make cabana's along with so cute footprint beach fabric, seagull fabrics and pretty beige prints


The pattern is for a long skinny row, and I thought, that's interesting for over the mantel. Then I decided 8 houses were too many, so I removed one. Instead of one long skinny row of snails trails I put them over each other but offset a bit

and added in some cutie pie fabrics from my ocean collection (I used to live near oceans). It was a week of decisions, since by now I had totally abandoned the pattern. 

I began thinking of what might be on this beach and cutting out fun motifs like seagulls, shells, umbrellas, fat ladies in inner tubes. 

Just before I stopped for the day, I had most of it put together including the biplane that flies over beaches trailing banners,


 and maybe some happy little flags fluttering over my cabanas, just scraps stuck up there at the moment, and two girl friends wading by the edge...

 in honor of my beachy quilt work on cabanas this week, enjoy this 1899 enhanced film of the French beach with cabanas!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mi9YNITDjs

also, enjoy this video I found a 1926 film with college girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNGSNeTLvbQ
 

Linking to:

https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/


25 comments:

dq said...

The beach house quilt is ADORABLE! I love those little houses so much!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Those snailtrails are such a challenge at a " normal size " never mind a mini version ! Thanks for the photo with your finger :)
Love how the beach houses are so colourful ! Fun decor as well :)
hugs, take care,
Joanne

Sara said...

Love, love, love the beach themed project!! And it reminded me that I have a beach themed quilt in storage that I could be enjoying. Time to hand it up in my dining room!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Loved our Paper/Craft Party this week, LeeAnna!! Your stamped pieces turned out cute. Those cabanas? Adorable!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The beach cabanas in such fun, happy colors is cute as can be! I love how you think of all the perfect details to include.

MissPat said...

Your cabanas are so cute, but my those snail's trails are tiny. I like the colorful Laurel Burch dog/cat motif, too.
Pat

grammajudyb said...

I’ve not spent a lot of time at any beach, but your cabanas remind me of a day spent on Princess Cay while on a cruise in the Caribbean! The little beach houses looked a lot like your mantel quilt! Fun!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your beach houses are incredible. I love the attention to detail you used. This is stunning. Makes me think of the beach houses I see in photos from England.

Years ago, I bought some Laurel Birch fabric because of the cats. I love her quirky whimsical art and I love you created her stamp on fabric.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Your Laurel Birch stamp is adorable. I haven't had much success with the one I picked up at that convention but your post has inspired me to try again.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love your beach scene...so colorful and pretty. Have
a great day!

Ivani said...

Beach cabana is lovely, so cute. Love also the painting fabric.

Robin said...

What a delightful little quilt. I love the flags on top of the cabanas. So much fun!

Turid said...

I love your beach quilt. So happy colors.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your beach scene is so much fun! You never disappoint. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Kris said...

Ooo looks like you are having fun painting and sewing!

Angie said...

Wow, LeeAnna, it makes me want to go to the beach and have one of those little cabanas all to myself. Oh, and maybe a drink with a little umbrella in it!

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

Those beach cabanas are so adorable! I want to go to the beach right now. So glad you're able to have a playdate on Zoom. They are a lot of fun. Happy quilting! -Andrea

Scrapatches said...

Beautiful work! The beachy themed quilt is looking sew nice. Cute cabanas. I think I did not realize how small those snail trail blocks are. They look wonderful in your ocean row. All the little details are amazing! ... :-) Pat

quiltingbydawn said...

The beach cabanas with the flags flying are adorable and I like how you added all the fussy cut details. The use of snail trails is great for the water!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Loving your Cabana quilt! So cute. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your projects are so creative and fun! love them :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

what pretty beach houses/cabanas!! that is a great quilt pattern and those peices look so so little!!!

Rebecca Grace said...

I love your beach houses and cabanas! Very cool to see how you've combined all of those different techniques and mediums in the other projects you have brewing. It sounds like you had a fun and productive play date!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

One of my struggles with online classes, especially for surface design, is the set up. Your picture of how you set up your tablet has me thinking.

Love the sense of humor and fun you are bringing to the beach scene.

Susan said...

Adorable beach scene!