Friday, July 10, 2020

paint party Friday... whimsical tree study

more about this later!
Welcome to "Watching paint dry" with LeeAnna!
Sitting on the porch this weekend, I decided to paint a tree in my sketchbook. A sketchy undertaking as the paper is too thin for watercolor, but...it's the place to experiment
and this happened
I started with brush leaves... press and lift a round brush. Lots of colors! The more the merrier!
then I added in a trunk
and some mushrooms and hidden places and lots of sketchy lines with pigma pen
I used an almost dry brush to hint at a background color, and love the way it looks! YEA!
Still in the sketch book I went for an analagous color scheme on the leaves but kept the method. 
paint leaves then fill in with trunks
isn't it interesting to see how it looks cropped in photos?
the next day, I pulled out the watercolor paper and just started again with leaves, then trunk, then background and lake.
almost a dry brush, created highlights on the lake, and underbrush around the lake... I like it. Then I added in dots of white and black.
I have to mention it's eye-opening to see these in photos. When seen in person they are quite small and less detailed from a distance
on display!
this one was to be more abstract, the trunk was implied with words
Ahhhh Cropping is great!
start with a wide flat brush dipped into two colors and swiped across the page
Then..."just keep going... "
(I liked how the farthest back tree came out)

As I was writing Thursday's list of Likes, and thinking of how I felt about some friends, I sketched then painted this
then put in a background color of yellow

which warped the paper and messed it up... so I drew this over the yellow
finally,

I like this quote by Jean Cocteau


"Listen carefully to first criticisms made of your work," he advised writers and artists. "Note just what it is about your work that critics don't like — then cultivate it. That's the only part of your work that's individual and worth keeping."

Linking to
https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/

20 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

I love your way to bring so much positive things in everything you made...

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Catching up! I don't know why but I love words combined with paintings. The opening credits of Anne With An E had words written on the tree branches which I found very effective. I looked up Preeti's post. Thanks for mentioning. And you always have such wonderful likes. How nice to meet puppies. Tony keeps talking about one but I'm not sure how Miss Murphy would handle it and I don't want to hurt her feelings. Good luck with your flowers and the growing of seeds.

Sara said...

I would never have thought of starting with the leaves, then building around them. So clever. Looks like you are having some fun with these.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Beautiful pictures with trees and the falling leaves. Great drawn with the distance and hearts touching each other!
Greetings Elke

Molly the Airedale said...

Your artwork is always so beautiful and so inspiring.

Shannon said...

I love all your tree interpretations, especially the one with the river and winding road. You've captured the feeling of depth well and I like the three different trees together. fun!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your trees, especially the colourful ones, they remind me of autumn, my fave season. Happy PPF and have a great weekend, Valerie

lissa said...

I like the way you shaped your leaves and your use of colors. I didn't realize you work in such small sizes but isn't it nice when you can zoom in when you turn your art digital? Good studies with trees.

Have a lovely day.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Especially love those adorable little mushrooms. 🍄

Linda Kunsman said...

fun and whimsical- what's not to love-especially your trees!Happy PPF!

Gillena Cox said...

All resulting pieces speak of fun. Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday

Much🏜love

MissPat said...

I like all your trees, but especially the words as trunk one. I would never think of painting the leaves first, but then mine wouldn't even look like trees.
Pat

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Lovely trees

Deepa Gopal said...

Your variations of trees are quite lovely! Nice to see the experiments! I sometimes add lettering/writing to my works as well. Sometimes I write my intentions in the base and then paint over it!
Happy PPF!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Always good to have some practice paper to hand and always a bonus when we can create outdoors, Beautiful work, studying nature is so rewarding. Happy PPF Tracey

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love the trees. I wish I was an artist.

Barbara said...

Here are the trees Ive been waiting to see!! They are nothing short of awesome. So inspiring to try one of something new each day. Thank you!

Words and Pictures said...

Leaf shapes are so satisfying, aren't they?! I love your doodled outlines and the fabulously gnarly tree trunks. Lovely! Happy PPF!
Alison x

DVArtist said...

Oh Leanna I love your colorful leaves and the tree. All of your art this week has a wonderful happiness to them. Have a great weekend.

Ira said...

Full of positive vibes. lovely!