Saturday, October 26, 2019

sewing Saturday...snowballs in brown and Halloween

Welcome to the sewing round-up for this week!
I've had a grand time in the studio sewing on my rainbow scrap challenge snowball blocks and this year's Halloween quilt.
Hey! Stop looking at that wall and look at me!
First the snowball blocks... in brown not my favorite color but they are really attractive together, no?
 I included some multi-color on black background fabrics as neutrals.
I have making them down to a science! I wonder if there will be any more colors suggested this year? This is only 10.
The Halloween quilt was so much fun to make, and started like this


... with some little applique owls in cute halloween prints. Out came the scrap bag of fun prints and leftover blocks.
The process for me was to fold the owls to approximate size, and start adding in little blocks, and squares, bits of fun color or motifs. Add a strip, then piece some blocks, make a paper pieced cat and a hat.
The top is all ready to quilt now! 32" X 52" -ish
Add more, take away, this area needs a big piece, this one needs blue, a skinny strip of green, or a row of little pumpkins will fit. Hee hee! What fun! I kept adding til it turned itself into about three long rows, then made them into the same basic size.

So the whole thing is so cute to me. I love:
the prints
the fence that comes and goes

the words boo and Halloween

tiny witches
 
the way the cat glows
The rayon florescent thread around owls

and the general fun it was to make.
Now time to quilt it!
All that and some left over blocks as a starter for another project

linking to
wendysquiltsandmore peacock party (quilts)
http://frombolttobeauty.blogspot.com/
off the wall Fridays
can I get a whoop whoop Fridays  
http://emsscrapbag.
design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays
oh Scrap Sundays 
 scrap happy Saturdays

21 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Adorable Halloween quilt, and I love your snowball blocks!

Ann said...

Those are the cutest owls. I love the way you pieced them together. eautifully random.

Cathy said...

I can just imagine what creative bliss it was to piece this wonderful, happy quilt together. It’s so cute!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Fabulous design wall! Love the Halloween quilt and the snowballs!

Sara said...

Love that Halloween quilt - it's even cuter than I was imagining. 10 colors are all she is planning to do this year. I added coral as a final color. I'm with you in not being overly fond of brown, but I must admit it adds some richness to quilts.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I'm in love with your owls!! Wow! Pretty snowball too!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Halloween quilt is wonderful! I can see that you had fun with it, too!

Laura said...

So much fun. The whimsy has made my day and has reminded me that I don't have a Halloween themed quilt! Have a lovely weekend.

Julierose said...

Really adorable Halloween piece! And i like the brown snowballs--hugs, Julierose

Tails Around the Ranch said...

That Halloween quilt is as colorful as it is cute!

MissPat said...

Great Halloween piece. Creativity at its best. I used some multi-color on black background fabrics this month, too. And I did some some brown's that had character so I used those in the chandelier blocks. October is the last color month, Nov and Dec are supposed to be for finishing. So if you need more, go wild and do your own thing.
Pat

PaintedThread said...

Those are adorable!

JanineMarie said...

Fun Halloween quilt—not scary at all. I envy your process, as improv piecing is a challenge for me. Your joy on it really comes through. The thought of brown snowballs (you know—the leftover slush at the end of winter—is not appealing, but your fabric ones are so pretty. We need a new love affair with brown—it really is a worthy color.

Mari said...

I love your Halloween owls! (FYI-- this year there are only 10 RSC colors. November and December are for finishing.)

Molly the Airedale said...

Love both of your quilts!

Susie H said...

Wow! I can just picture you whirling about adding a bit of this and a dash of that! I'll just bet it was fun for you! Turned out adorable -- thoses owls are so darn cute!

Deb A said...

I love how that owl wall hanging came out! How fun.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Loving all the details in your Halloween quilt. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I absolutely LOVE how you cobbled together a Halloween Quilt that is SEW much fun!!!

Sarah said...

I love your Halloween quilt! And the little add ons are great.

Turid said...

Such lovely and cute owls. I love all your colors.