Saturday, May 27, 2017

The challenge to work with GREEN

I am working with green scraps this month with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
I limit myself to working with what is available in the scrap bins. The above hand pieced ( EPP) hexie star is my version and size of a free pattern, please look back through my hexie star posts to find the source.
 I love the center fabric and have used it in several projects, and the shamrocks are from this year's St. Pat's day quilt.

The daisy fabric is also in my abstract and in person is a nice rich shade of green, very usable.
If I had any time this week to sew it was used on my abstract.

A friend of mine told me once she thought artists just knew what to do.

Bwaaaaahahahaha


Creating is a series of choices
I knew I wanted to border this with squares set in a background. Like little fancy garden squares in a rock bed. I chose this drab olive/tan organic fabric with variations. My thought is to quilt it with a light colored tan thread in little pebbles. I chose 2" raw squares because of the scale of the !!%.%" X 17" center, and I had a lot of that size in the scrap bin.

The outside border fabric is an emerald green with metallic gold shot thru, altho it looks darker here. It's just a possibility to return to some green after the squares are inset

See the golden bunny? It's paper, bought in Boulder on our pre-pup trip

Here it is with the poodle in too
I still am bothered by the center join and am not sure how I want to handle it. I may cut it somewhere again... stay tuned.

"Creativity is forging a path where there was none, then going down that path to see what's there!"  LA Paylor 2017
                                                                                         
linking to
sewcanshe Saturdays
oh Scrap Sundays 
 slow stitching Sundays

30 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the earthiness of the greens and browns with the surprise bling of the golden bunny! Delightful!

Cathy said...

Your improv/abstract piece is more gorgeous with every addition!

Pamela Arbour said...

just love your greens and your abstract. You are really coming along nicely with it.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Your blog teaches me a lot about using color to create interest and just letting my inner artist show thru. Your green improv block is very interesting. When I first look at it, I too see the horizontal line. Maybe slicing thru it and adding some of that border fabric would be nice as it would break up that line and incorporate the border. Gosh, it's fun to watch how you create these art pieces.

gayle said...

I like that the poodle now has a bunny to dance with!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Totally love that poodle cut-out. An original of yours? Much like the quad set of paws now gracing your studio? 🐩

sonja said...

good quotes are the ones that RING TRue, just like yours!
I love love green, just mentioned to someone it is my(and mother nature's) basic black!!! And it's not nice to fool mother nature!!!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great creative quilt.

Deb A said...

I love seeing and hearing how you create your works of art. I'm sure you will come up with a great solution to make you happier with your pretty piece of art.

Nell's Quilts said...

Ah! The creative process - all the trials and evaluations before a final decision is made. Seems that a few have had the challenge this week.

PaulaB quilts said...

Your green pieced pointed blocks are so delicate. I love your blend of greens there. The art piece keeps evolving and growing. It is very organic.

PaintedThread said...

What fun. I love how this is turning out.

Angie in SoCal said...

Your abstract is coming along nicely! Love the star.

MissPat said...

Hi, I'm back! (My comment problem was totally self-inflicted but I did figure it out.) I love the hexie stars.
I'm not much help on your improv piece. I really like it especially the border addition. Could you soften the line across the middle with a piece of tulle, maybe cut with some curves? Maybe some day I'll be brave enough to try some improv, but I have trouble doing wonky anything.
Hope Milo is making progress. He is a cutie.
Pat

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your abstracts are so fascinating to me, LeeAnna! Like other commenters, I see something different everytime you share something new you've done!

Joanne said...

Love the abstact garden! I'd add in a snail....but you know me!
Will be adding your quote to my blog, if that's ok!?

easyweimaraner said...

green is great, it is a little like symbol of life... and I love how clever you added the bunny... he makes a secret eyecatcher somehow ;o)

Kaja said...

I love watching you puzzle out your art pieces; you have such an interesting way of working.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love see your process! That bunny is the perfect touch!

Miaismine said...

Your work is so lovely - I love how artists play with fabric! The EPP is a nice combination of greens! Thank you for sharing!

scraphappy said...

Enjoy the creative process. So many fun choices to make.

CathieJ said...

You projects are looking good. I love the poodle and bunny.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I really like those hexie stars you are making. In that bright green they are really pretty. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Quilter Kathy said...

Another lovely hexie star! It's fun to remember the projects that the scraps originally came from!

Jeannee said...

Very Pretty Pattern!
Jeannee

Rebecca Grace said...

You know, your comment "creativity is a series of choices" really got me thinking about the difference between artists and people who say "I could never do that." Maybe it's not so much a difference between having talent and inspiration and not having those things, but a difference in having the courage to make choices -- to set off on one path, forsaking the others (at least for the time being). So often getting STARTED is the hardest part, making those first choices about where you want to go and how you'll begin. Lovely star block, by the way.

AlidaP said...

Lovely piece! You have a special sensibility in creating balanced and interesting pieces! And the poodle is just the perfect addition! Thanks for sharing your ideas and your process!!

Susan said...

Great piece LeeAnna! Love the bunny with the poodle - thank you for sharing them on Midweek Makers!

Teresa B said...

It's lovely, I really admire your work. Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned!

quiltedfabricart said...

I love your abstract! I want to try one using the improv curve method you showed me.


Using only fabric from the scrap bin is not only smart it is a good challenge to use what is there in new and different ways.