Wednesday, May 17, 2017

The "Choice"

"The Poodle's Choice"

On entertaining a puppy

1. Have  a LOT of biting toys to avoid being chewed on yourself. Those teeth aren't going to waste!

One morning I placed the array of toys in front of Milo to do a VERY SCIENTIFIC TEST

Which toy will he choose? (this morning that is)
Each of these toys has made the cut, they are all happy times for him at some point each day. He could spend SECONDS on each and every one.

I mean SECONDS at a time! Strung together!
Sometimes as much as 60 seconds in a row, with a nylabone!

That means 60 seconds when he isn't eating
1. Dirt
2. Rocks
3. Table legs
4. the wall
5. shoelaces
6. rugs
7. our feet

Which leads me to the VERY SCIENTIFIC TEST 
2. place toys around the poodle perch...

Milo:  "It took SUPER-POODLE reserve to watch the mama place all the fun toys around my home base...
And when she said, "Okay Milo! All done!" I jumped to action!! and chose first.... drum roll please.... the squirrel! 

"I've been working on those ears for a while now. AND the annoying tag! I hate tags and take great pains to remove all tags I see from everything in my reach!"

(Mama: What??! Not the monkey? That monkey with all the legs is fun to shake around!)
(Milo: "not this time. The monkey is asleep Mama, now the squirrel is teasing me!") 

"See that mouse? It is my second favorite!

 I spend a lot of time with that tail and the ears. I've been chewing and chewing and Mama says one day I'll chew them off. I don't know about that but they are sure fun to chew and the mama doesn't yelp like when I start on her fingers so that's good"
yum yum yum!
 " I really like all of these toys but when a puppy needs to really chew  there is nothing as good as a nylabone. The Vet said to use soft ones so as not to break a tooth, but I heard Mama say if he hasn't broken a tooth on Daddy's foot, then they are pretty strong!, hahaha. (where is Daddy? )
I have a chew toy in both sleeping crates. One night Mama put on her sleeping skins I went in my sleeping crate in the bedroom and Mama started to read her book. I wasn't ready for sleep yet, as my pre-bedtime nap made me very not sleepy.

LeeAnna: I was reading, Daddy was snoring, Milo was quiet and then....
Squeak!

Squeak! Squeak! Squeak!

Squeaky-squeaky-squeaky-squeaky-squeaky-squeaky!

Milo found the little chicken in his bed and decided squeaky toys are fun!
Oh, good.

Well, that is the end of the VERY SCIENTIFIC TEST for now.

Milo: "All toys are my favorite! I've taste-tested each one and they all pass the test! "

" Whew! Working so hard is exhausting.
 Better take a quick nap! I'll get to those drapes later, -gator! "
(you know I will)





18 comments:

Unknown said...

The more toys the better! Teddy and Luna like nylabones and benebones too!

Unknown said...

And I'm personally quite pleased you chose squirrel first!

PaintedThread said...

So many choices! Looks like all that chewing is exhausting work. (I never knew puppies were so taste-test happy.)

Sara said...

Just like many human babies - everything is worth a taste or a swallow. My daughter's golden retriever puppy is a poop eater. We have lots of deer, bunnies, turkeys in our back yard and he likes to snack on the wildlife poop he finds. It has even caused a couple of vet visits and meds.

Lesley said...

Milo is very cute!

M. K. Clinton said...

the boys have too many toys too! They definitely have their favorites. Thankfully, Bentley's favorite has a silent squeaker. LOL!

Dorothy said...

I am so happy to know that you have a new poodle pup !

Unknown said...

Oh, the energy of puppies. There's really nothing quite like it! I'm so glad you're enjoying these times. They sure don't last long! (And I second the bit about soft chew toys. Sinead lost 3 molars at the dentist today, all cracked on toys!)

Jean from Welcome to the Menagerie

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I loved your Portrait of a Poodle and reading about the making of that piece. Such a good eye for balance and combining interesting fabrics..etc.
Ahh, the chewing of pups...been there. Murphy ate three of my library books which cost $20 each in fees. Never mind all the other stuff.
At this stage, it is very hard to find toys that they can't destroy in five minutes. Those nylabones and giant kongs can keep for a while.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Milo, you can munch on the real deal squirrels once you've had all your shots of course at the Ranch. They will keep you plenty entertained and save your mum and dad from being the appetizer of the day. 🐩

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm loving your stories about Milo, LeeAnna! You are such a smart mama to have so many choices for him, and to help him learn!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
I was going to ask about squeeky toys! I kept reading....know I know!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
I was going to ask about squeeky toys! I kept reading....know I know!

Brian's Home Blog said...

A puppy sure likes to be busy!!! Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Jackie Bouchard said...

Good to be able to keep the puppy busy! Rita hates tags on her toys too!

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

(sigh) you probably will chew the ears off. Fenris eventually kills his toys although the older he gets the longer the toys manage to live. The latest toys have made it for an entire year.

eileeninmd said...

Cute post on Milo and all his toys. I do not think with all those toys he could be bored. Adorable Milo photos. Thanks so much for linking up your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

Gina145 said...

So cute. It's a long time since I've had a dog and I'm missing out on a lot of fun.