Saturday, May 13, 2017

Leaves of green

Continuing on with the Rainbow Scrap challenge this year at http://superscrappy
the color of the month is green.
My scrap bin of green is so full of all shades and tones and variations of greens...

 When I want to do this month's block, EPP applique leaves I have many choices. Every fabric I choose for a leaf takes it out of the mix for future projects so I have to decide if that fabric will look best in a leaf shape or saved for another time.

I made 16 this time, stitching while the baby napped at my feet.

I tried them on different backgrounds and in different arrangements... compare the impact of them here...








 Background tone makes a difference doesn't it? These are both saturated browns
three different brown backgrounds... and you can note the difference when photographed more than with the eye.
(That brightly colored one may transition to another group when it's all said and done)

Note all the patterns and tones in the leaves. It's my belief more is better, excess is never enough, use it all, all tones can mix together like it does in nature. 
These look like a scientist's study of leaves to me...
 I really like the three-d aspect to these, and because they are on paper and have "body" I can play with them...
And isn't that what it's all about??
linking to among others
http://www.sewcanshe.com/
oh Scrap Sundays 
 slow stitching Sundays

25 comments:

Joanne said...

Yes! That's what it is all about!

Edith said...

Lovely photos, looks like you are having fun, so pretty.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Playtime DOES matter!

Kathy S. said...

Fun fabrics.

Cathy said...

The green leaves are inspiring! Wouldn't it be fun to do a quilt of all varied, wild leaves with flowers popping out everywhere?! Can you tell that I just watched a nature show on the jungles of Africa?

sonja said...

T see the many many leaves of bamboo flickering in the breeze, softly, in your future. Oh, green is my basic black!

Sara said...

Lots of possibilities and they are all pretty, no matter what they become.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love all your different greens, and the fun you have playing with the leaves! I have a box full of greens like that, and have struggled a little bit with using them all togther, but I will remember your mantra!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

yes play :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

I prefer the first or second brown background option and LOVE all of the GREEN scraps in your leaf pile!!

Angie in SoCal said...

Beautiful pile of leaves ready for a new project - what a great idea.

Kaja said...

Play is always good. I love that these work so well in 3-d.

PaintedThread said...

Pretty! I like the wreath layouts. Fun.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice leaves in such a variety of colours!

Robin said...

Love the first photo of the fern-like leaf appliques. It's so interesting to me how greens always go together no matter the shade.

Quilter Kathy said...

That was fun to see all the arrangements!
Green is such a wonderful colour!

Jenny said...

I like the spray of leaves best. But of course it all depends on what you plan to make with them.

Ivani said...

it sounds you have so much fun playing with the green leaves. ♥

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks for sharing your pretty green leaves with Oh Scrap. I really like those wreath layouts!

Nann said...

Thanks for showing how one simple shape can make so many different wonderful designs!

gayle said...

Yes, play really is what it's all about! Play on with your beautiful leaves!

Theresa Morgan said...

Your Playtime has inspired me! Never thought of the combinations you came up with??? I've just purchased Leah Day's grp of leaf templates. Loving the ideas.tThank you sooo much......blessed day

Susan said...

Oh my - that's a tough choice! I like all of the layouts! Congrats on getting 16 done while the new 'baby' slept. Thanks again for sharing!

Rebecca Grace said...

I know exactly how you feel about those green scraps! There are so many treasures in my scrap bins, long-since-discontinued fabrics that I can't get any more of ever again... I love finding a way to use them again, but it's still sad when a favorite fabric is ALL GONE FOREVER! Your leaves are lovely, and I agree -- more IS better!

Glenda said...

As usual a great lesson in colour, I think you need to think about writing a book on colour. Years ago I did a border in green leaves only there were 100s as my challenge was only one leaf from each fabric I son ran out of greens so I sent out an SOS and so many quilters helped me complete my challenge , interesting of all the may be 200 tiny scraps I never doubled up in those fabrics sent to me. Hugs Glenda