Friday, April 18, 2014

State Flower of...

  When I get stuck doing a challenge piece, and I'm stuck real good right now, I make a component.  I made the paper-pieced pineapple blocks. I made the willy-nilly pineapple itself. I made the sun.
 I am still figuring out the central figure and background fabrics, how large it's to be, etc.
 I'm in a panic.
The State flower for my challenge piece is the hibiscus.A YELLOW hibiscus. Not red as some adverts would lead you to believe. Just so happens this flower was one of my faves while living in Florida.
The pieces in the two above photos became this:

 I pieced little batik scraps into petals.

Whee!! What fun! sewing! Colors! Curves and straight line sewing.( I needed that)

They were cut into hibiscus shaped petals. 

The yellow hibiscus might  look way too much like my sun.... however, there is no threadpainting yet. No leaves or stems.

In my mind it looks very exciting and pretty and funny and cool. I'm still in the "I can do this! I can make this cool quilt and finish on time and it will come out just like I see it in my mind!" phase. I haven't hit the phase where I think I just wasted countless hours and yards of fabric on this but it almost always comes in the middle of the process. Then by the end, after threads, beads, paints and binding I love it again.
This is what the petals look like, un painted, not quilted without leaves and possibly too large.
I think they look very painterly right now. I can just imagine them all quilted! Keep scrolling down to see the other components.
LeeAnna

18 comments:

bearbuster said...

Wonderful! Not too much like the sun ... the sun is lighter, brighter and has rays. Can't wait to see the finished creation!!! Pat

Micki @ 2 Dogs Studio said...

Very nicely done...I love the colors.

Regina B Dunn said...

I think you've got it. Looks like a yellow flower, not like a sun. Going to be good!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
Looks like flowers I would love to have in my garden! And then when they are quilted! Wow! That will be something! Not too large at all!
Joanne

The Inside Stori said...

So you and so lovely!!

Marly said...

To my mind you've captured hibiscus flowers perfectly. This is going to be a stunning quilt.

Kathy said...

What a wonderful way to create some beautiful flowers--and they will be stunning! Great start!

Lori said...

Fabulous! I, too, am a former Florida resident. Thank goodness we got to get all up-close-and-personal with hibiscus flowers--they're great for quilts! This is going to be wonderful--keep going!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Beautiful flowers! Thank you for linking up to my Weekend Link Party too.

Go-Go Kim said...

I wish I could see these in real life! Very cool! Thank you for linking up to SEWjo Saturday!

charlotte said...

Love the Hibiscus. Such pretty colors.

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

Beautiful shading on the petals, Wow!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love dimensional work, your hibiscus are just stunning!

newsurfiegirl said...

Wow what stunning flowers! I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Quilter Kathy said...

Loved reading about the process :)
Enjoy playing with the scraps!

Deb A said...

Your hibiscus is stunning right now, I can't wait to see how they all look together. This looks like such a fun project. Thanks for sharing the process with us.

phxquilt said...

Those flower are gorgeous! I'm looking at th hybiscus here in Maui right now and they fit right in!

Fort Worth Fabric Studio said...

Your flowers turned out great! I looked at the other components, and am looking forward to seeing it all put together!

Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
-Lindsey
Fabric Frenzy Friday