Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sew first, ask questions later

 This will be filed under, "what to sew when you don't know what to sew but want to sew now" discussion
See the pile of little scraps all in shades of purple??

All of them represent old projects, favorite fabrics, and possibilities. It feels good to me to make something from scraps someone else wouldn't think twice about tossing away.

Today I needed a break from the decisions about my challenge quilt but still wanted to sew.

My plan was to sew dark shades about the same length, together in a row. Didn't worry with grain, or straight lines too much.
After I had four strips, all wavy and messy, I put them side by side til I liked it. I then used free-form curved piecing techniques to sew the columns together. It needed something... I tried several items, insert circles, smaller finished quiltlets, single fabric inserts, then decided to be influenced by nature and cut a raw edge flower out of one of the little scraps. Layered it, used a bias strip left over from the mermaid quilt. A little quilting, a little paint, a few beads and it'll be a cute little project. I had fun, and that was the purpose.

You don't always have to know what you want art to be, when you make it! 

Linking up to http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/  and http://www.mollisparkles.com/
LeeAnna


9 comments:

bearbuster said...

I really like how perfectly you picked up the green from that one purple fabric for the stem of your flower .... where do you find the time??? Great little project! Pat

LA Paylor said...

I actually changed the green stem to a softer one. This piece took, start to finish about 3 hours. Not long really. Of course it's 8 X 12.
I'm considering making it into a sketchbook cover.
LeeAnna

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
Looks like you had fun! Would make a great sketchbook cover!
Take care,
Joanne

Val's Quilting Studio said...

sew first, ask ? later....definitely my style of sewing!!

Sweet Pea said...

What a great piece of art. I know I will take inspiration from it. I love your raw edge flowers as well as your choice of colour.

Snowcatcher said...

I LOVE your scrap play! Once I finish a couple of my WIPs, I want to start playing with scraps again, and this block is so inspirational!

Rachel said...

Great use of scraps!

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Even the tinniest piece of fabric can participate into an artsy creation. Just what you did! An a sketchbook cover would be a great used for this one.

Julierose said...

I hopped over from Quiltncards--and I LOVe your little purples piece--what fun, hugs, julierosequilts