Monday, April 14, 2014

some yellow

Guess what I'm making?
Finally moo-ving forward on my guild challenge quilt. The challenge is to represent a State. I knew what State. I knew what elements I wanted but not how I wanted to lay it out. There are many decisions to make when working  on an original design, how many of this, how large to make that, what fabrics, what to do with borders, etc.
   I saw this advert in our local magazine and loved the sun behind the wording. And the palm tree fronds.
You never know where inspiration will come from.

 I wanted to use an idea like this behind my focal point. So I got out my wedge ruler and some of my gold and yellow batiks.





 Aren't they pretty? I have collected a lot of yellows over the years. Some people are reluctant to use yellow or orange but I find them stimulating. I once did a very traditional basket quilt with trapunto and lots of quilting almost all in yellows. It showed in many quilt shows and won a lot of prizes despite my friends saying I couldn't put all that yellow in one quilt.
My problem is not in using yellow, but in allowing myself to cut into fabric I love!


  I haven't done a sketch this time but started with one little element.
These:
I made 8 of them, unfinished size is 3.5 inches each.
I plan to put them somewhere in a border. Getting an idea what State yet? No, not that one.

I made them from teensy little batik scraps. The flamingos are less than an inch, perfect.

Once again, I am working under pressure to meet the deadline. This plus the pollen giving me a headache. Plus the recent change from cold weather to hot so that I had to take three hours yesterday to change out the closet from winter to summer clothes so I wouldn't melt on walks!
Wish me luck in finishing!
LeeAnna

11 comments:

Turid said...

Something yellow for Eastern, great. I love your pretty block!

bearbuster said...

Well I WAS thinking Florida, but I guess that's too obvious, huh? Maybe Texas? Or Hawaii? Or is it really a state as in the US of A or is it a state of mind ... hmmm. At any rate, I'm happy you are moving forward and making progress. Can't wait to see the result. Yellow is a great, happy color! Pat

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
Can't have too much yellow I say! As I sit here in a house with a couple of yellow walls and yellow tinted tiles in the kitchen!
Wow 3.5 x 3.5 and the flamingo is less than an inch sqare! Well done!
Take care,
Joanne

Marly said...

It's always a pleasure seeing you creating. Thank you for sharing a glimpse of the process.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

You and your mini work never cease to amaze me!! I read your post, look at my ruler and shake my head :) I love yellow and orange - quilting an all yellow and orange quilt right now :)

Sue Daurio said...

Love the yellow, sunny and bright! that flamingo block is stunning!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks beautiful so far, can't wait to see more! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Anonymous said...

You must be doing Florida! I love what you have so far!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

This will be super cool for sure! I'm totally in with the flamingo blocks. :)

I often find things I like in fabric patterns at restaurants on chairs and such. Weird, I know.

Wendy said...

it's funny where inspiration strikes. I have no idea what state, not being from America, but I think it's going to be a great quilt!

bearbuster said...

I think Hawaii now! Pat