Saturday, February 17, 2024

my creative week... challenges met: SAHRR & RSC, a beaded necklace finish and a painting!!!

 

pattern from the book,Precisely Sew

 I'm getting faster at piecing these large blocks (can't remember, they may be 16.5"

and it's fun to dig through the box of scraps for a variety in red prints and solids. I was surprised that with all the fabrics, the star just looks red from a distance!!

On both the red, and green one I chose to repeat two fabrics for the center to be more graphic. The tula pink fabric I chose to use for background (I use plain white for foundation piecing around the feathered star points) is busy but cute. Here are this year's two blocks done for Rainbow scrap challenge

each color is done by piecing 4 blocks, then putting them together to make one big block. For this block I ended up making a cutting template to use for background pieces, and another for the odd triangle shape next to the feathers... not fancy but pre cutting the white pieces makes it all go together better. Same with that elongated triangle around the outside. 

Now for the stay at home round robin... the prompt this week is square in a square on point. 

as always for me, how to incorporate the prompt into my little sunflower garden theme... hmmm

hmmm a row to showcase a different scale of sunflower. I used a vintage print by Valorie Wells, cut 4" blocks, having no idea if they'd fit with the previous part. I know I can make it work. 

let's see, do I want them like this? with one fabric on the inside?  

 
 

how about this? I knew after piecing the blocks, that they wouldn't fit right into this row
 


When I cut 4 " blocks of the cute sunflower green print, to cut once on diagonal, then piece around my flower blocks turning them into the S 'n S blocks needed, they were smaller of course! shall I insert  cute trellis fabric ? yes! fussy cut of course...

I ended up with this... waiting a bit to sew the already sewn row to the base quilt...

I love how I can keep my theme going while following prompts, and that the prompts and challenge have helped me create a place for my original block! Thank you!

I finished my beaded necklace this week... and it felt great to bead again, turning this

into this: I think the sparkly crystal beads look like diamonds in it!

I have been writing a lot of essays this week, but felt a need Friday morning while having my coffee, to paint something...

I used tombow markers (that are water soluble) and a water brush to make this. I was watching a video by an intuitive person on what being attracted to a color meant... ( soul manna)  I was drawn to two, of course, turquoise and silver. Equal attraction, so I head both readings and they really applied to my two sides. 

Her reading of silver attraction really fit me,  ... don't try to fit in, you shine like the sun 

So that's my share for this week... 

plus a drawing done for a friend who collects hedgehogs



linking with

Songbird designs


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

 




19 comments:

Sara said...

Oh my - you had a brilliantly colored week of creativity! Gorgeous blocks!!

JanineMarie said...

Super projects this week. I’m loving that Tula Pink background with your stars. And the sunflowers! Squeal! I thought of Valori Wells as soon as I saw your blocks. I made a sunflower quilt with my daughter years ago from Wells’ book Everything Flowers and used fabric like that never guessing that maybe it was hers. I absolutely love how you’ve kept your theme going with the SAHRR having no idea what the prompt would be each week. And to even have that trellis fabric!

Mary R. said...

The RSC blocks are beautiful! I love how the printed background looks.

piecefulwendy said...

Your RSC blocks are gorgeous, and I like what you've done with your SAHRR border (clever you)! You are getting a lot done, as usual.

The Joyful Quilter said...

OMG! That garden gate is SEW perfect!!! I'm loving your RSC blocks, but know that I don't want to make them for myself. I have an aversion to making Feathered Star blocks. Fun artwork and a very cool necklace, LeeAnna!!

Astrid said...

What a colorful week you've had! Love all your projects! The RSC are beautiful. Clever idea for the Sunflower Garden.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Those big blocks are spectacular and you SAHRR looks great. It's nice to see some more sunflowers :)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Fabulous red block, pretty scraps in there! I love how your SAHRR project is growing, this new border looks great!
Love the drawings too, the hedgehog is very cute!
Thank you for sharing ;)

Kim said...

'Sew precisely'....indeed! Goodness, such a lot of tricky piecing. Your blocks are looking amazing! I'm loving how you are playing with your SAHRR and the sunflowers. The inclusion of the picket fence and trellis is inspired! Love it!

Tigger's Mum said...

extraordinarily productive and creative week - all I managed was the sketch a day and one knitted sleeve! I love your original sunflower block by the way. I need to study that and how you achieved it.

quiltingbydawn said...

Beautiful work! Your RSC block looks great but complicated! Your SAHRR sunflower quilt is coming along very nicely! I really like the fussy cut square in a square block. It is like the sunflowers are peeking out. Love your painting too! I'll have to look up Soul Manna.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I love seeing your SAHRR grow with each prompt. So clever. And your RSC blocks are gorgeous! What a lovely quilt that is going to be. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/02/21/wednesday-wait-loss-368

Marsha Cooper said...

A week full of creativity!

Kathleen said...

Love your RSC blocks but I really love your SAHRR. Well, I don't want one to overshadow the other as each are beautiful in their own way! And then the little painting - just gorgeous. I love seeing what you are up to!

DVArtist said...

Wow! This quilt is amazing. I so love the red. You have been busy. I love your drawing too. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a lovely weekend.

Hubblebird said...

I love the stars.

Fundy Blue said...

My goodness, you are full of creativity, Leeanna! And the hedgehog is darling! I'm wowed by the intricacy of your piecing in your quilt squares. Have a fulfilling week!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love your festive RSC blocks!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

WOW!!! Those RSC blocks are gorgeous!!!