Friday, February 9, 2024

creativity round up for the week... three challenges achieved and more

 

let's start with my ongoing  EPP project for rainbow scrap challenge... in reds the focus color of the month

look at the little chickens, and that old 2000 fabric scrap
I cut my own templates for this but got the idea from https://thecraftycreek.com/2023/07/16/owl-and-hare-hollow-hqal-2/.

This shows the challenge work done this week, (and the green EPP from last month)

stay at home round robin (SAHRR) top left, Project Quilting under the red EPP

The Project quilting challenge prompt, was "inside out" we are to design make and finish a quilt in one week. She described the prompt to include raw edges, unfinished bindings... and I made this:

I pulled narrow strings from the scrap boxes, from 1/4" to 3/4", 

 

wove them 

slid paper under it to transport it to backing and batting, fused on a heart shape, and quilted it
with these threads. Willy nilly, not concerning myself with stray threads and widths, just back and forth

the backing and batting were cut smaller so the outside edge fabric is just raw uneven fraying strips

the back with batting peeking out

I was surprised at how tidy it looked finished, how sturdy and secure and well, pretty it came out!

it will be this year's Valentine quilt, I have about 30 of them by now. 


Now for SAHRR, the prompt for this row was to use Triangles

remember this improv flying geese border I made when I made the sunflower block?

I love to use tiny scraps not worrying with sizes and making it curvy. I made the center strip, then sewed it into a blue scrap... and had it hanging around on the design wall for months. I chose two fabrics to make quarter square triangle blocks as a buffer between the center and geese

I cut 3" squares of both fabrics, face to face, sew both sides of center diagonal line, cut apart and have two half square triangle blocks. I put those face to face opposite colors over each other, sew the other diagonal lines cut apart and end up with two of the blocks above. Make a line of them to sew into this quilt.

I figure I'll applique dragonflies over the join to integrate it more, in the quilting process. 

SO happy that this is getting turned into a quilt not languishing in a ufo colletion! lol

I made this little cute container in a free sewing workshop last year, so when I wanted something to hold an assortment of pens/brushes, and markers while I painted I brought it down. 

I had pulled this out to use, then decided to tuck it into my handmade container

and it's just adorable holding my stuff

you know if you don't corral in your stuff it travels... 

sorry to overwhelm you with photos this week, but I do better doing just two posts a week. Thursday is for the list of likes, and Friday or Saturday for creative works, This is a busy time because of so many challenges at the same time. 

I've been doing little Valentine paintings  on torn watercolor paper... Some of them are on yesterday's post for Likes, please check them out. I like how they turned out, and the small size. 

Next up, beading. Now that I organized my beads, I want to do more bead work, and have started a necklace...

 
 

18 comments:

JanineMarie said...

Love the variety of projects you’ve been working on. The sunflower quilt is fascinating. It’s telling its own story of a magical garden.

PersimonDreams said...

love your project! I played around with weaving a bit too ;)

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Always fun to see what you are creating! Love the openwork of the red design, and LOVE the woven piece! The watercolors are very sweet and the tool holder is so cute and handy. Hope you have a fun and creative weekend! xx K

PaintedThread said...

Beautiful projects all around. I am sooo far behind on my PQ challenge.

grammajudyb said...

Fun Inside Out piece! I like it a LOT! Great improve geese strip too! And last but not least, the EPP is awesome! Do you call it a wheel, or mandala or what? It’s so pretty!

Deb A said...

So many fun projects! I love the EPP one.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that paper peiceing looks so difficult - but you got a spotted Chicken in there - I love it!!!

Your strips for PR is amazing!!! I like how you wove the fabrics.

time4stitchn said...

I am absolutely in love with your fabric weaving. Oh my goodness! I love the raw edges and the wonderful variety of strips used. Great blend of colors and then topping it with the Heart!!!!!!!Plus I like your EPP. You are so darn inspirational. Thank you!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fabulous array of projects this week, LeeAnna. LOVE your take on the PQ prompt of Inside Out and that Sunflower SAHRR is coming along beautifully!!

Sara said...

Those paper pieced "wheels" are gorgeous!!

Deb said...

You have a wonderful variety of projects underway. Love the red wheels and the beaded project is pretty.

Emily said...

I love those improv geese! So glad you found a place for them to call home!

Tigger's Mum said...

That little quilt of woven strips is fabulous (I feel inspired by it now - scrap bag here I come)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

The story of that voeven strip quilt was amazing! I wouldn't have thought it would have been stable at all!

Sara said...

I had to come back to look at your "inside out" project, and was totally fascinated that I missed those edges the first time. That is such a clever idea! The weaving of strips was what caught my attention the first time. That is an awesome little quilt.

So you have a gallery spot in your house for your beautiful mini quilts?

Susie H said...

Oh your RSC blocks are so pretty! That looks like a nice necklace you're working on too. I haven't done much beading but have enjoyed it when I did. So many ways to be creative!

Marsha Cooper said...

So full of the cutest ideas here. I love the weaving....who knows, I just might have to give that a try!

Nikki said...

Love your PQ15 weaving. I am making placemats out of my challenge entries for Meals on Wheels. I might try your technique just for fun!