Saturday, April 29, 2023

my creative week

 

this was a week of sewing, writing, and watching video lessons... with one drawing 

hand sewing hexies, tiny quiltlets from scraps, and one drawing
 

the sewing primarily was "middle sewing"  involving a lot of putting blocks together, basting a quilt, finding appropriate fabrics, making design decision that take time but don't show well in a round up.

I now have completed the squares for two RSC block sets made last year... I added an entire row of black and white squares to go with the colorful scrap blocks done last year, but like the first set I'm reluctant to show it until it's done, but here is one

and each time I made one black and white block, I cut away little triangles, which I then decided to sew into hourglass blocks. No measuring, just sew odd shaped triangle to odd shaped triangle,

until I had a lot of them. I don't know if this is considered improvisational, but it feels that way.

I played with arrangements but when I noticed this fabric left from my big blocks...

just a fat quarter (of a yard) and saw the musical cats, I decided to set the wee blocks (2" square) into a frame

yep, that's cool. They were not tidy nor even, but I didn't let that get in the way of making this for my husband, the guitar player who loves cats 

finishing about 7" square

for table scraps... he's playing "notes"

no scrap too small, no scrap wasted. I miss being part of a quilt group in Maryland that gave me bags of what they considered too-small scraps. These came from making the large person sized quilt on the wall

the hexie project is together, pressed flat, layered with batting, with felt as backing... I'm quilting it now, and went through two discarded thread choices before settling on gold metallic. So far I've gone around the finished edge twice with straight stitch, after unpicking the buttonhole stitch I tried in the beginning

I wanted to be finished with the quilting before sharing it but it was part of my creativity this week. 

I trim the felt close to the edge as a finish. I've gone through several choices for quilting the center but think I've decided on straight lines radiating from a center point, maybe. 

Making art is not linear. 

there are many decisions, all the way to completion. 

I've never liked the phrase, " it's not over til the fat lady sings" having battled with weight all my life, but it's not over in art-ing til the last detail is on and the artist is satisfied. 



 this little lady is my true triumph this week. I LOVE her. She came from my heart, my mind, my spirit this week, a woman secure in herself, wearing a daffodil in her hair. 

It is much MUCH more difficult to draw with pencil than paint, IMHO. Drawing is intentional, one must look closely, and call the shot before putting down a line. Paint can spread, move, blend by itself, it is often impressionistic in my world. I could paint the idea of a portrait, but this black line on white paper is strong. 

I did an initial drawing, then went back, layer by layer, additional flick of a pencil, an erasure, a blending of graphite to shadow. Another layer of hair added... and she had slightly different eyes that felt somehow wrong to me. 

After looking at her through the week, between sewing blocks, as I passed by, I erased one tiny area of her eye changing the shape slightly, rounding it just a millimeter more and suddenly she looked different. 

I've grappled with noses, and lip lines. I like hers. I am always learning about shadow. Clothing and shoulders are often challenging. Not having a picture to go by is challenging. 

I love this bit so much...

Her necklace. I want one like this, gold with three drop pearls. The face has been my go to design for years. I painted large now framed art with stars like this in the past. I'm glad I could give this to her. 

Even now, in this photo I see I should remove some shadow along her chest line. 

Isn't it wonderful to learn by doing? 

I " spaved" this week with threads. 

These are daily functional  3 ply cotton threads 50wt from "connecting threads"... and they are a great price from the online store. I find them to be smooth, strong, and gorgeous colors. If I were going to quilt stores I might purchase Metler for daily piecing but these are great and to me, in my usage, stronger than the aurofil the young quilters seem to favor but I find breaks too often.

I was visiting the blog (https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/) and she recommended these threads for hand swing EPP. I ordered the set right away from amazon, a great price at only $3 per spool in the 6 spool set of gorgeous colors

they are called cottonized poly, are 80wt so thin as a hair almost, very very very strong for pulling repeatedly through epp pieces, smooth, disappear in the stitching but the colors are wonderful. I'm glad I risked getting them sight unseen!

as a video treat, and I haven't tried this yet, I leave you with this

..... a cool method of joining the final binding ends

 https://youtube.com/shorts/F2N6QelobsQ?feature=share

 

 

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

finished or not

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/ 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/

 

25 comments:

PaintedThread said...

I love all the little hexies. The black and white cat is pretty cool.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely hexies, the two quilting lines are great, beautiful finish. I love the musical cat, fun and cute! Well done with the little lady, charming.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your rainbow hexie star is beautiful! I love how you're finishing it with the felt backing. The little cat with a guitar looks perfect for Drew, too. Fun projects this week!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
So much creative inspiring energy !Thank you !
Your drawing is so good ! All the fabric creations look great !
Well done with creating with black and white ! Great idea !
hugs, take care,
Joanne

The Joyful Quilter said...

A very creative week, LeeAnna! Your hexi project came together beautifully. Love the way you made it sparkle with the color placement! Such a lovely drawing and a fun NOTE entry for the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge. Thanks for thinking "outside the box" to find a way to make DH's new mug rug work with this month's letter prompt!

Kathleen said...

Love your hexie project - the colors are just beautify. I love the jazz cats and what you are doing with them. The wonderfil thread looks fun. I have used some cotton-ized poly and like it allot. I think I tried it a long time ago for hand piecing and wasn't thrilled, but I think it may have "improved" since then. I have to look at the joining video. I have a good way, but old dogs can learn new tricks!

grammajudyb said...

Such a Cool Cat for your DH! The improv hourglass border it’s very graphic and just perfect! I really do like your drawing of your lovely lady. So delicate.

Helen said...

I'm usually a full color person, but I am drawn to your black & white. I love how they look!
Good job with the drawing. It is good to try and learn and be satisfied with the outcome.

CathieJ said...

I wish I could draw. I really like what you drew. I like your mini cat quilt and your hexies. Enjoy all of your artistic pursuits.

Miaismine said...

I absolutely love your star made of hexagons! This week you inspired me with “not afraid of color” at my nail appointment – my nails are half orange, half yellow with glitter! So much for the French manicure, the pastel colors and traditional red!
Your squares are lovely – love those pops of color on black.
That guitar playing cat is precious! How thoughtful of you to make that for your husband!
I loved how you spoke about art. This morning as I spread my afghan on the bed for the picture, it hit me: I designed this afghan…me…your writing about art was perfect to read this afternoon. Thank you.
Your portrait is amazing. I enjoyed reading about your process and the closeup shots.
I use a thread conditioner my daughter showed me for my hand stitching and hand embroidery. I need to find it and share. I’ll check out the threads you purchased.
Thank you for a great post!

Helenchaffin said...

I admire people's patience to do hexes, the ole saying killing 2 birds with one stone use to make me think why would you wantta kill a bird in the 1stbplace🤣

Linda said...

The hourglass and guitar kitty turned out so well. Your creations just seem to flow! Your pretty-eyed lady is lovely. I have always envied anyone who can draw or paint, either from memory or mind or photo.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Those hexies are gorgeous! I love how you are finishing them. That cat though is my favorite. So cool in black and white and so perfect for your husband. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Always such a treat to read these arty roundup posts of yours. I love the hexies too but it is the hand drawn lady that shines here. She is wearing a wonderful expression as captured by you. You are so right about the importance of shading. They spend a lot of time on just that aspect in art schools.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi LeeAnna, what a great mini! I hope that your husband loves it :-) I like how you're finishing your hexies. Your lady looks lovely. Take care.

DVArtist said...

Hi LeeAnna. First I am so impressed with your quilting. A quilted frame!? Brilliant. However, the face you drew is spectacular!!!! She has so much character and life. I simply love her. Thank you for sharing her with FFO. Have a lovely weekend.

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! Your quilting is awesome and your sketch divine ~ so talented ~


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Gillena Cox said...

Bravo another set of fabulous work.
Thanks for linking to AFFF

Much💖love

Beth B said...

The hexie star is great and I admire the felt making and edge stitching.

Your drawing is so good. I believe I would like to meet her.

Keep creating!

My name is Erika. said...

I love that multicolored star. It's beautiful. And I have some of that thread, but not that collection. I love the colors in your set. Have a great weekend LeeAnna. hugs-Erika

Deonn said...

What a wonderful post of your creativity! That black star block really catches my eye. Can't wait to see the rest of your blocks. The scraps made for a perfect little mug rug for your musical honey! And I adore the details you shared about your drawing. Thank you for linking up at TGIFF today!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

You have combined to of my favorite quilt obsessions in one adorable block: cats and black and white fabric. Most impressive is your drawing.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your sewing is exquisite and way over my head. I did a lot of sewing when my children were young, but I never did quilting. I don't know if I have the patience for it, but you certainly do. And, I love your lady too ... she is charming and I too think I would like that little trinket around her neck. Maybe you should start designing jewelry ... yes? Your posts are always fun, Leeanna and full of bright ideas:)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Yaando said...

https://infogram.com/le-meilleur-site-achat-en-ligne-maroc-1h7j4dvpjgz0v4n?live

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The cat with a banjo!!! LOVE it!!
your hexies are super pretty - all those colors together and gorgeous!