Saturday, April 22, 2023

Stitch by stitch, block by block, a mini improv quilt and some paintings

 

just a test of my posca pens

I've been sewing, painting and sketching this week. This is my little round up of each.... 

I got stuck working to turn a set of 12 RSC blocks into a person sized quilt this week, so I took them off the design wall and put up another set I did last year, and loved them! 

however I found only 10 blocks  so I quickly made two more in colors I like, 

yellow/gold

and

purple for RSC color of the month of April

and began to think of how to make these 9.5" blocks into a person sized quilt too.... and those blocks were so much fun to make (pattern at https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/) I decided to make some in black and white... 

then I liked it so I made 6 blocks, 3 each  for the top and bottom of the layout. But... I now need side blocks, 12 of them for the two sides, and they are cut out but not finished yet.

18 blocks finished so far, 12 more to go!
I am reluctant to show too much before I reveal the finished quilt, but it's really cool! I need to decide whether to separate the blocks with sashing, and what color, or to join them so the points touch and they create circles like the OTHER quilt! 

The problem with my other quilt is it's all done in reproduction 1930's fabrics but needs a big border and none of my prints are large enough for that. I want the borders to be quiet since the center blocks are in all colors. I'll find a yellow that will do in my stash...

 I cut away some triangles in  making these blocks, and well you know me, waste not so I did this one day

and with the black and white cut off triangles I made this wee improvisational geese quiltlet

HEE HEE! I love this tiny quiltlet! I suppose it could be a leeeeetle coaster but right now it just makes me smile seeing it!

from tiny triangles cut off the blocks on the left

this is the back

so the pinwheels came from cut offs last week, and the geese this week.  Improv can be small, y'all

as to painting....

I followed along with this tutorial  

to make this in my tiny copier paper journal of nature sketches... I wanted to learn how to draw a folded leaf....



my tiny 5" X 6" sketchbook

I follow a blog about two  scamps, weimaraners in France, and Katy shared a cow  photo one day. I tried to sketch it in black and white, but couldn't help adding the yellow! just a morning sketch while having my coffee.


trying to learn how to create depth and shadow with just pencil lines

 I've been watching an organization workshop too this week, with lots of ideas and videos about managing your paper/ scrapbooking supplies. I have a lot of paints, paper, stencils and stamps and supplies can take over your home! It's called "paper crafters get organized" 

I am stitching away on my hexie project during nightime tv watching... 

I'm sewing the big "petals" to each other now

there are 47 hexies in each "petal" and it's amazingly fast to sew petal to petal although it tires my hands a bit. Anyone else have trouble getting a needle across the folded edges without missing the fabric now and then? I love hand sewing!

Okay, two big quilts in the works, painting and learning to sketch, and looking at other people's tidy studios... it's a busy creative week! 

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

finished or not

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/ 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/




20 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Those are cool looking blocks. I like your wee scrap quilts!

Sally Langston Warren said...

I think Milo would be offended that you chose to honor a PINK poodle!

Joanne said...

Love those black and white blocks ! So Cooool !

Susie H said...

Sew many fun things happening in your creative space. Love the mini-improvs and the cow drawing is really good! I'm feeling a lot of happiness in your space!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your black and white blocks, your RSC quilt is going to be stunning! Cute tiny flying geese, and the cow is fun too!
Thank you for sharing your projects, and linking up.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Look at you with all those improv tiny quilts!!! LOVE them!!!

Helen said...

I am loving the look of the black and white blocks!
Also... isn't YouTube great when you need a painting lesson!

Ann said...

A person-sized quilt uses lots of blocks. Isn't it great to move so many along? I love your black and white flying geese. Adorable.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Super roundup of your week! I like the RSC blocks, and the additional B&W blocks will be great to mix in with them.

Kat Scribner said...

Love your RSC star blocks, Leeanna. I don't know the name of that block but sure it has one. Can't wait to see what you plan to do with them. Hurry up, eh?

grammajudyb said...

Brilliant idea to use black and while for some of the necessary blocks to build your person sized quilt! Anxious to see the finished top!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I think you've mastered the folded leaf and those hexie petal pieces...wow!What a wonderful post, lots of happy creative projects, LeeAnna. Love to see what you are up to.

Christine said...

Nice art!

DVArtist said...

Wow! You are so busy and so amazingly talented. Those quilt blocks are gorgeous, especially the black one. Nice to be able to work on things in your livingroom while watching TV. Now for the cow. I love cows. I think they are so cool. I love the drawing. Also the flowers and the folded leaf, perfect! Thank you for sharing all of this with FFO. Have a lovely day.

peppylady (Dora) said...

What beautiful fabrics.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Gillena Cox said...

Oh wow; oh wow. Just fantastic.
Thanks for linking to AFFF

Much💖love

My name is Erika. said...

Your posca pen test came out great. I love the idea of a pink poodle. And your daffodils look fantastic. It looks like a fun play journal. And of course, your quilting is really lovely. have a great weekend, and give Milo another scratch. hugs-Erika

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Busy is an understatement ... You are pumping out the artwork like a machine, only much prettier and hand sewn. I love the RSC color of the month piece. I would love to see a quilt done in all purple colors ... sound interesting? I long to see the finished product and I smile at your little geese quiltlet. Is there a reason they are called "geese" quiltlets? Your daffodils with the folded leaves is awesome as well. you are clearly a quick learner :) And, I assume there will be more to come on your Hexie project ... can't wait! Happy Spring La Paylor :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You always have so much goodness in your posts... but today.. the cow
You stole the whole show with the cow... love it!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love that little improv flying geese quiltlet. You're so clever with scraps! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.