Thursday, April 27, 2023

I Like Thursday # 347

 

welcome to this week's list of likes.... it's a short list this week so let's get started...

I liked having plantain chips again, even if they are a bit thicker than the ones from Trader Joe's. 

I like the books by Ellery Adams, I finished the audio book from last week, and am on the final one in this series, 

I got into one of my kindle books, 

Halfway to You: A Novel by [Jennifer Gold]

after not liking the last 2 I started from the library, but now two books I had on hold at the library have come in... shall I put my good one on hold while reading one of the library books? of course I had to wait for them so when I don't finish them in time I'll be waiting for them again. oy. 

friendship

talking on FT or zoom with my friends, Cindy and Joy

watching on tv

PBS has a terrific series (available on Prime) called My grandparent's war and I want to go back and find the two episodes missed. In depth history of 4 British celebrities grandparents time during WW2

we like the great british baking show junior edition, hilarious!

I've liked sewing this week, finishing up some projects, and drawing a few things... more on that Saturday, on creative week round up

General

I liked sleeping in one day this week, catching up on some sleepless nights... sleep is restorative

 watched on youtube 

I watched this interview with Eva Longoria and there was much to like about her life views... she mentions re-framing how you speak to yourself,  instead of I was so busy, say I was so productive,  or I get to go home to my kids instead of I have to go make dinner now


this warmed my heart... I love cows, and animals in general


 our prompt this week: what languages do you like?

"Do you speak more than one language? What was is like to learn it? Is there a language you'd like to learn, please tell us why.

are there words in other languages that sound fun to you, or even English words that you like and make you happy? "


in High school I studied French when 90 % of college bound students studied Spanish. I loved the romance of French and how the words sounded flowing. I continued studying French when I lived in Canada, and met lots of other expats in class from so ,many countries. I cannot say I know much even now however since I seldom use it. My husband is studying French through work, and will have to be our interpreter if we move to France! 

I taught English at Berlitz for a while, as a 2nd, or was it 3rd job, and one family I taught was Japanese in America on business. Husband, wife, three sons. They insisted each time on providing snacks and tea. I asked during these breaks for them to teach me some words in Japanese and they tried! I studied German while working there too. 

I used the bit I learned, when I traveled in Europe alone. I also thank the people who upon hearing me try to use their language, switched to English out of kindness. 


When I discovered  my birth Father was Italian, and I love how that sounds, DH and I took Italian lessons at the community college together, Italian 1.... twice

My favorite word was lorologio   (watch) Loro-LO-shee-O. I feel I learned a lot and could get by reading it if we moved to Italy. Plus I really want to learn.

My Nephew's father is Mexican, (he teaches at the U of Mexico) so my nephew is bilingual. I asked him to teach me some words and he said, Aunt Leela you are saying it in Italian not Spanish! and gave up on me.

I admire people who speak more than one language. I love the sound of French but mostly love Italian now, and want to become fluent.

It's a pipe dream.

In English I like the word perambulate, twilight, and exquisite. I just like the sounds. 

Milo's Moments

Milo: I am a native canine-ish speaker and had to learn to understand English when I came to live with my pawrents...

I understand most of what they say, just not all of it matters to me. I keep track of the mama's moods and can tell when she's upset or happy. I know a lot of words though... like "out, eat, cake, ears, big-bed, toys, ball, chicken, cheese, come, sit, quit!,  and  

Milo, be quiet and inside voice, stay, wait, fetch, drop good-boy, Uh-Oh, look down, lots more,  and my favorite words in English, said with a singing voice from the mama...

" I LOVE you!" 

please visit these fine folk to see what they liked this week

grammajudyb.blogspot.com

https://www.mmmquilts.com/2023/04/gratitude-74.html

friday smiles at a stitch in time  




 

16 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

we are glad caninnish is international and if we bark all dogs of da world understand ;O))) the mama has an on-off relationship with french... it can be super tricky LOL

Sara said...

I grew up hearing my paternal grandparents speak French when they didn't want us kids to know what they were saying. My HS only offered French when I was in HS, although my senior year 3 of us were given permission to walk a block to study German with a retired teacher. I studied both languages in college, and then taught HS French from 1984-2022. But I must honestly say my skills had diminished greatly over final 20 years as I only had year 1 and 2 students. So, I felt pretty fluent at one time but certainly not now.

Cloudia said...

Sleep is restorative!
I try to use the Hawaiian language as often as I can.

Angela said...

Thanks for sharing the youtube! I really was encouraged by Eva!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those are good thankfuls today. I studies German and Spanish in college but nowadays I mix them together LOL! Milo, just so you get some treats you can bark in whatever language you like. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Babajeza said...


My first foreign language was Latin which I think is very helpful to learn Indoeuropean languages. I'm fluent in English, not so much in French anymore (I had to teach a class today though). I also studied Spanish in School and later again.

I love going to other countries and attend a language course. It's a great way to meet people and have time to get the city or country to know better. I went to Halifax, Montreal, Rome.

I really want to study Russian when I retire. However, it is complicated and even reading is a challenge.

As Switzerland has four official languages, every child has to learn a second language. For us in the east it has always been French. But since not so lang English has become the first foreign language to learn. At our school we teach Spanish and Italian besides French and English. So not all students choose a third foreign language, it's not mandatory.

We have students from many different countries, most of them eastern European. I think it is nice to see where they come from. So my husband and I learn at least four words: hello, good bye, thank you and please.

:-)


LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I tried to learn Spanish when I was teaching, but when the teacher would ask a question in Spanish, I could only answer it in French, lol! It's good to understand canine, too. I know Milo appreciates it!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Spanish is definitely much more popular right now. I can understand it a little bit but not too much. I've always wanted to try plantain chips. I think Milo understands you perfectly. It's the language of love!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thankfully, I was never required to take a foreign language, as I can't roll my rrr's or anything like that!
Where did you get those plantain chips? I sorely miss the ones from the Cuban Sandwich Shop that I like to visit in Tampa. They were tasty and delicious (and super thin and crispy!)
Look at that! I made your list of LIKES this week. :o))

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

French seemed to be the usual extra language we learnt at school though the words differ so much in the UK that there are some places where I don't understand what should be the English language. Different counties can sound completely different even though they are speaking English and I often wonder if they can spell the words they speak. In the county where I was born and brought up H's are never included in words such as House and Horse and only a few miles away when people speak the words are all joined together there are no individual words. Colloquialism is an interesting subject. Wishing you a very happy weekend and enjoy your chips. Hugs, Angela xxx

Annie said...

I did French at school and can still get by when we visit France. I also did Latin and all I can say about that is....why??? We used to say a little rhyme...Latin is a language as dead as dead can be, first it killed the Roma’s and now it’s killing me!! I also had a few Russian lessons but alas I didn’t get on with that although I can still say thank you and you’re welcome 😀
Hugs,
Annie x

PaintedThread said...

I like your little wagon! My ex loved the word zygodactyl - mostly because of the spelling (but it sounds pretty cool, too).

Linda said...

Do you not have Trader Joe's nearby? I rarely visit it, but I want one accessible to me! Do you think you might move to France? Does Milo sometimes cock his head when you speak? I love when they do that.
In my post I forgot to mention our Spanish teacher in high school. She was "eccentric" and dramatic and loveable, and she walked around the room picking up objects and naming them in Spanish, then we would say it as a class. I remember her holding up a pen and saying "la pluma" in a sing-song voice. That was almost 60 years ago - eeek!

Lisca said...

Languages. Where to start? I was brought up bilingual Dutch-English My dad was an English teacher and had bet with a colleague that children could learn more than one language (this was early fifties and people thought it would be detrimental). My dad won the bet. Later at school I started French at the age of 8, then at secondary school we had to take all modern languages: Dutch, English, French and German. As my school was a classical school, we took Latin and Greek too. Later I switched Greek for ancient Hebrew. In my gap year I wanted to go to Israel, so I started to take evening classes in modern Hebrew and then spent a summer in Israel.
After traveling quite a bit, I met who would become my first husband and I quit university and moved to Italy. There I had to learn Italian quickly and within a year I was working in the local hospital. So now I have added Italian to my arsenal of languages. I spent 15 years in Italy, eventually divorced and met Graham. Lived in UK for 20 years, then we decided to retire to Spain. I thought learning Spanish would be a doddle. I forgot that as you get older it becomes more difficult. It took me several years and now I am fluent in Spanish too. I get confused when I try to speak Italian. That will be fun when I go to Italy this summer. Although I think i'll be OK after 24 hours.
Favorite Spanish word: madrugada (early morning) favorite English word: serendipity.
Have a lovely Bank Holiday weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Kathleen said...

Sleep is so important. I am learning Spanish again...Duolingo. I took 7 years but never have really spoken it. I can a little. We hope to go next year...so that is my goal. Milo is clever in that he knows all he needs in another language..and then a bit more!

media said...

I love British and try to learn words with Wordle UK