Saturday, April 8, 2023

My creative week...another quilt finished and a couple paintings

 

"baby it's cold outside" size 30" X 40" 

At the start of this week, having just finished the last challenge piece, I decided to pull out all the sweaters I made for rainbow scrap challenge one year. I think I just googled coloring book image of a sweater to draw one to use as a template. 

 They were all just cut out with fusible on the backs when I started this week. I played with a lot of ideas for setting them, kind of wanting a feel of a poster of mine

auditioned different background fabrics, decided whether to add sashing and if so what color, tried many possibilities

in the end I asked my husband, he said the pretty solid pastels. I decided on cutting those 6.5" and fused on the sweaters. While chatting with my friend Cindy on FT, I machine stitched a buttonhole stitch around each one with matching thread (there was enough going on, keep it simple). 

Then came the placement decisions... wait! while looking through my stash I found this bright bit

ooooo if I carefully fussy cut strips it could look like a fair isle sweater!  Lots of decisions, where to cut, which color to go in what location. I sewed the pretty blocks to each other on horizontal lines making 4 rows of 5 blocks. Then pieced in the strips to look like a big sweater behind them! 

it's all in how you look at a fabric isn't it? 

giggling as I sewed... and thinking of how to quilt this. I found a cute fabric I could piece to be large enough for the backing

I got this cute fabric about 25 years ago to make a kid quilt for my niece, fussy cut out some motifs, and never followed up. Now it's cute clothing is on the back of my sweaters quilt! (the stash is just as full with it gone) 

after it was ready to bind, I did what I used to do and added in the sleeve before the binding. 

I cut the sleeve fabric (since I'm not entering this in competition I just cut what I had, a strip 5". Baste the right side of it to the right side of the top of the finished quilt. A running basting stitch along the pressed line through just the open sleeve and backing fabric by hand. Fold it up so edges meet along the top making a finished encased sleeve, baste, and when bound it is all done. 



it's ready to hang in our walk in closet or the laundry room... but you know I want to embellish it!

wouldn't you know I have little hanger charms?
and tiny bright buttons

the hangers got lost on this so did those wee buttons. Maybe some well placed crystals? Excess is never enough. 


 

So finishing a rainbow scrap challenge block set is like finding a unicorn so I'm chuffed to get this done. The project bag is now empty. I'm sure it will get filled again soon. 

how do you feel with something is finished? I love that feeling! 

now for some things painted...

a background done quickly with watercolor, painted quite wet and allowed to blend on the paper. 

now the stress of drawing over it... what shall I do? really close up large flowers? a bird painted over the scene in acrylic? a landscape sketched in black ink? 

Lately I've tried to capture an image of my friend's dogs who have gone to Heaven before us... 

this week, I tried to paint Kathleen's boy Percy, which was a daunting task. I really just draw and paint what I see, what I can, and it's not professional. I worry that it's inadequate... but it's painted with love from my heart to theirs. 

life is a journey, learning and experiencing and doing what we can to share love with one another. 

I believe that's our task from God

I enjoyed these tutorials this week

 mind blown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Zr2rSIDBs


I love this woman's work, drawing with scissors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZVxVuhBaA

 Linking with


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

finished or not

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/ 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/ 

22 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

Oh I luv your sweater blocks!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That sweater quilt is adorable! So fun to look in close and see all the fun prints you used. Great finish, LeeAnna!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your sweater quilt is SEW darling, LeeAnna!! Congratulations on finishing it up. Have fun with the embellishments!

Helen said...

Very nice watercolor blending. I struggle with watercolor. You've got it!

Vireya said...

Your sweater quilt is fantastic!

Sara said...

Every single thing about the sweater quilt just warms my heart! It is so fun and cheerful. Great finish!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Fun quilt, I love these little sweaters, and the sashings are perfect! Congratulations on the finish too!
Thank you so much for sharing, and linking up!

PaintedThread said...

I love how your sweaters turned out.

Susie H said...

I love your sweater quilt! How lucky you were to find that sashing fabric too! Great paintings too. Happy you share those with us also. Have a good week!

Robin said...

Your sweater quilt is absolutely delightful. It's too bad you couldn't use those hangers - they were darling. I feel a mixture of relief and freedom when I finish a quilt.

sonja said...

like those cozy sweater quilt!
really like the pinkly/green painting!!
hope you can make a copy of the original before next step....
mostly, thank you for all your colorful creations!!!

Marsha Cooper said...

that sweater quilt is just too cute....and a cute idea too.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Adorable sweater blocks! Love, love the fabric you found to set them with. As you say, it reminds me of a Fair Isle sweater. It really is all about seeing the fabric, isn't it? Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

Angela said...

I love your quilt! It is so happy!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love the sweater quilt! Well done!

DVArtist said...

You are just amazing! This quilt is brilliant. Your painting is luscious too. Those colors!!! Thank you for joining FFO. Have a lovely weekend.

Gillena Cox said...

Your fabric art is so beautiful. Thanks for linking to AFFF

Much💖love

Gwyned Trefethen said...

The strips between the rows of sweaters are perfect. They pull everything together. Such fun.

Jill said...

Too cute! It should be entered in a competition and/or quilt show so others can enjoy in person.

My name is Erika. said...

These sweaters are adorable. I love the variety and the details LeeAnna. Very nice. hugs-Erika

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You are full of surprises ... your quilt is beautiful and bright and lovely. You must have a great deal of patience to be able to create in such detail. Percy's painting is adorable and I am sure appreciated from afar ... now for your background. Will we see what you decide to put on it next week ... or next year :) I enjoyed your videos as well. Always love to learn new techniques. Not sure I could master either, but someday, I will try :) Thank you for this wonderful post ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Baby its cold outside!! PERFECT name!! and what a great piece!!!! I agree with your backgrounds - they look so great!!!