Saturday, April 15, 2023

My creative week hearts and flowers, sewing and painting

 

it was a week of hearts while working on a border for my 1930's fabric quilt from rainbow scrap challenge last year.  More about that quilt when it's done, but I had a fun time looking through my more traditional blocks books on how to border and sash quilt blocks. 

these were the blocks done last year... and since it's purple month again I will show that one! 

all the blocks are now arranged and sewn in a way that creates circles to be quilted... and the center section is 32" X 42" and I'd like it to be big enough to cover me, so some borders are called for. How about that pretty yellow scrap left over from another 30's style quilt? I think there is barely enough left to do an inner border. More next week hopefully!

when I pieced the hearts, I had a few teeeeensy little half square triangle blocks about an inch big. Too tiny to use right? 

well this bag of 30's style scraps won't hold one more thing 

so I put those little blocks into 2" pinwheel blocks not worrying about them being even, just sewing as they were so small... and then the pinwheel blocks got trimmed to 2", set with 1" scrap strips into this

it was 7.5" and I used a pieced bit of batting from some other project in it

sewed around and turned right sides out, then quilted it. 

It snowed Friday, and I finished all the heart blocks for my big quilt border, so why not? 

On the drawing/painting front... my friend Cindy sent me a pic of her recently planted spring deck pots 

 

so while I had my morning coffee, I grabbed a scrap of copier paper and painted this... I like it! It taught me a bit about perspective, how to capture color and decide which details to include. 


I've been trying the sketching tutorials from 

The Creative Cove on youtube 

this is from her grasses video




and this was from one on birdhouses





I added in a bit of color, she just uses black ink

and if you want an easy to follow way to sketch check her out!

since I am going to hold off on showing the big quilt, that's it for me this week! 

ooo forgot about my hand sewn hexi flower... 

I was sewing the big petals together and dh said, that brown one (made during brown month at rsc) is wrong with all the others... so back to the scraps, this time in blues, turquoises and purples to make a last petal to include in my big hand piece.
 

happy art-ing!

 Linking with


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

finished or not

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/ 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/














16 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love that 1930s quilt and was surprised by the HST you used that were so tiny. Well done you! Your sketches are wonderful, love that one of fern grass. Have a great creative week (and hopefully no more snow!).

PaintedThread said...

Those tiny pinwheels are adorable!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super sweet PURPLW blocks and a darling mini, too!! Your painting from Cindy's photo turned out great and you put so many more details in your birdhouse drawing than I did. Mine was a "down and dirty" sketch!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving the quilts and you watercolours too. Your weather sounds very strange. We've had sun and rain but that is typical at this time of the year here in the UK. Have alovely weekend. Hugs Angela xxx

grammajudyb said...

So many scraps! And look at that fun mini pinwheel quilt that happened. I’m anxious to see your 30s project and the big result from those little hexies!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Just had a read of your delightful posts. Your posts are always so juicy! Your stitched items are lovely. I can now pick yours out in the linky parties...they shine, LeeAnna!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Love the HST project and the inspiration behind it! I enjoy too that you share your creativity with drawing/art. You captured the perspective perfectly!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely tiny little project! These scraps are very small, and I love your mini quilt. Pretty hearts too.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Love the little pinwheel quilt! Looking forward to seeing the other quilts finished, too. Your sketches are charming! x K

Michelle said...

LOVE the canoe on your table. What a little treasure. That looks like Milo on the cover of that book. I hope you had a great weekend. Thanks for linking up.

Kathleen said...

The hearts and pinwheels are sweet. Sorry about the ones you must remake. I always love seeing your paintings.

Ann said...

Your little pinwheels remind me to consider sashing. Such a cute quilt.
You’ve been very busy with art. We’ve been inundated with home work.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

That pinwheel quilt is so adorable! What a great way to use those scraps. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,

Thanks for including rulers and fingers to show the size of your art work!
Those tiny pinwheels !
hugs,
take care,
Joanne

Gillena Cox said...

Beautiful sketches. I'm always bliwn away by your fabric craft.
Have a nice weekend. Thanks for linking to AFFF

Much💖love

My name is Erika. said...

I really love the honeycomb squares. Also your drawings LeeAnna. You have plants outside already or is that a photo. Give Milo a scratch for me. hugs-Erika