Saturday, September 3, 2022

My creative week... painting a quilt, sewing a quilt

 

I watched this video lesson on how to draw and paint this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4QQqg0fi80&list=TLPQMjgwNDIwMjJec36i-sddtg&index=7

not as easy as it looks. I had to figure out how many motifs fit on my paper, set the compass, know what intersections to place the point in and how far to circle. Whew! but I was motivated and haven't done this before. Then paint the little centers

Take a big rest... think about it... I used my pointiest smallest brush, and my kuretake gansai tambi watercolors which have a sort of shiny cast to them and vibrant color intensity. Played with how much pigment to use. Time to paint in the rest of the areas with a watered down version of same colors...

and mix up my Fine Tec metallic gold paint, get out a tiny brush, steady my hands and paint the gold lines over each section! Take another rest! 

I painted it in my watercolor flip book, and it's really pretty. I might just frame it for the studio!

I painted two more portraits, this one to test drawing with staedtler watercolor pencil in brown, then using a wet brush to pull color into shadows

another done on index card... I really love how she came out. Again, draw with watercolor pencil, then wet the paper near the lines and pull shadows from them. 

I started a workshop called art soul gathering and did a lesson with Melanie Rivers. I do lessons in my regular sketchbook. She wanted us to verbalize what we feel like when seeing moonlight...

written in pencil

then draw a woman over the words

oooooo I Like it!!! The halo is a moon image behind her... then the teacher used acrylics to paint an abstract but I actually liked it as is... often I like my paintings more than my drawings. Drawing takes a lot of thought, effort, and technique that I'm working on, so if I like my drawing I stop there. I ended up adding some fine tec metallics in two shades of silver

added in some stars and let it be

as to real sewing this week... I copied a pattern for a fall quilt from CanadianNeedleNana to start next. 

 Then I spent sewing time this week making more X blocks, in the color of the month at RSC light blue

Apparently I am just obsessed with this little block, so easy to make using small scraps.

I may move some blocks around but not forever. Tweaking the colors a bit.

Scraps are lovely to work with, the odd shapes and patterns, the serendipity of how one works next to another like on "chalice" from last week. Finding the cup shape in my scrap box, I laid it onto the strip set and my mind started swirling with "what if?"

that has to be followed up with some sewing just to try it, then some decisions, and actually finishing it.


  I decided I could do many things with this but am going to just sew the blocks together and quilt it. As is... with one more row across

After all tomorrow is another day, there are no lack of scraps to use, I can make the cross stitch poodle later, or do some kind of mix with plain fabrics. Later.... because done is better than planning!

I am actually signed up for three workshops that overlap, running concurrently. We'll see how that goes but I am always learning. Imagine what I could do if I weren't worried about the climate, covid or the possible loss of democracy. 

enjoyed this man's videos this week

here's to living the creative life!

Linking to

https://thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com/2022/08/august-2022-table-scraps-challenge-link.html

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

 









16 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your drawn and painted quilt is gorgeous! Looks like a fun process. And I love the X blocks - all that fun color!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Here's to a beautiful week, LeeAnna! You definitely had one filled with painting, drawing, and sewing!! Kudos on getting those Light BLUE X blocks done this week. Love, love, LOVE the colorful things happening in your studio!

Kathleen said...

WOW! I love the drawing turned to painting - it is glorious. The gold leading is perfect. I really like the colors you used. The moon drawing is a fun process….like where it is going.

sonja said...

defiantly frame that color masterpiece quilt on paper. perhaps make a greeting card version for those old school hand written and stamped letter moments! AND your drawn and painted faces keep getting more beautiful and pensive!!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Love the painting! You definitely should frame it and enjoy it.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a beautiful painting. I love the sheen it has. Definitely frame it and hang in it in your creative space!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Always enjoy seeing what you are up to. I have started mentoring a middle schooler and some of your projects have worked great for us to work on as we talk. Gosh, kids are so creative! Thanks for linking up your lovely projects with Oh Scrap!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,

Yes ! Frame it for the studio or anywhere in the house !
The x quilt is looking os cool!
Haaave fun with all the colorful lessons and Autumn quilt !
hugs, take care,
Joanne

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The quilt painting is gorgeous! Takes lots of patience to do the things you do! I admire you!

Susie H said...

Your painted quilt is BEAUTIFUL!! Definitely hang it in your studio. The best of both your creative worlds!

Ann said...

Your paintings and your quilt are both lovely. Great colors.

DVArtist said...

I just love this quilt. The colors are fabulous. The face is wonderful too. I always enjoy your post and art. Please take a minute to link Friday face OFF to your list. https://beadwright.blogspot.com/2022/09/friday-face-off-9922.html Thank you and have a great day.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

The painted quilt is gorgeous. Just the right touch of gold. I would frame this as you say. Lovely art! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, the painted quilt is gorgeous, and yes, it deserved to be displayed on the wall! I love your writing, drawing then painting process, it's inspiring.
Your X blocks are pretty too!
Thank you for sharing your inspiration and work.

Fundy Blue said...

Your geometric piece is beautifully executed, Leeanna. I've never done a piece like that. I imagine it takes a lot of patience. Have a good one!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is super cool watercolor!! I can imagine all the ways your eyes could interpret it! I love what you did - it could be a quilt, or stained glass - it gives off that vibe.