Thursday, September 15, 2022

I Like Thursday # 315 Crafting!


welcome to this week's list of likes! In honor of our prompt this week "crafts" I am showing a piece I made years ago for the studio. It's sitting on top of some drawer units holding fabric, the multi color background is my own hand dyed fabric, it's quilted, stretched over wood, and wooden letters painted by me are sewn to the background.

 A few likes aside from our prompt....

a video:  this woman has a dream kitchen I originally saw on my organizational workshop this week. This is another of her videos...


speaking of food Fine Dining

I tried my first fritata, and used egg whites, spinach mushrooms and onions. Not bad, not very flavorful either but it was done on top of the stove (too hot to bake) 
I made broccoli salad again, and am always amazed how good it is! Recipe is next to it, from SugarSpunRun
https://sugarspunrun.com/broccoli-salad/

home made dressing, broccoli, cranberries, onions, sunflower seeds and cheddar

reading

on audio... just finished this in the series... so good.... mystery solved by Aunt niece and friend


and now listening to, and also very good on audio, the library is about to reclaim it sadly before I'm done

 

 a success story, baking soda and scrub brush cleaned our shower floor. Now...

Our prompt this week is crafts we do or have done. 

Not the same as hobbies although craft making in general is a hobby, but we'll cover those another time. 

1.Crafts I still practice: 


quiltmaking and sewing crafts , knitting, drawing, painting on paper and fabric, beading, felt crafts, embroidery, calligraphy. 

a painting combining watercolor + zentangle

sometimes I do some of several things each day such as painting in the morning, and sewing in the afternoon, or go through obsession stages of only doing one for weeks at a time.

I always return to sewing crafts though. 

tiny knitted sweater

2. crafts I want to learn or do again

bent wood furniture, micromacrame jewelry, bead loom work, book binding, screen printing and gelli plate print making

3. a few crafts I've tried but didn't keep up with

pottery mug of a face with fierce eyebrows!
 
stained glass, tole painting on wood, needlepoint, cross stitch, ceramics, pottery (wheel work plus hand built)  wool  rug hooking, felt making, origami, appalachian basket weaving with reed, art doll making, clothing construction, loom weaving, silk painting, grapevine wreath making, Fimo clay, refinishing furniture... for my first house, I found a kitchen table in poor shape (cheap!) and refinished it with white enamel paint everywhere except for the top, that I refinished with stone effect spray like this:

Tutorial: A Granite Spray Paint Table Makeover | Apartment Therapy

 

I decorate most useful things too.... shoe boxes in quilt wrapping paper

as a little girl, 

I was always making things. I had a crayon melting tool that made pictures with melted crayons! I had a lite brite, an easy bake oven, I took lessons in needlework, painted ceramic Christmas trees and figurines, glued fake gemstones to jars, wove potholders, colored countless coloring books, made Barbie clothes, created little cities with a towel dropped on the floor and mother's costume jewelry pieces,  I would cut out cartoons and glue into a book of humor.

 

sewing rolling caddy with a reminder to make art (my original painting)
I used to belong to a craft group called stichery bitchery and we all showed up with whatever we were making at the moment... I almost always was making tree ornaments as I gave those as little gifts to friends every year. I've just about tried every craft from paper ribbon angels to art quilts. 

Milo noticed the mug when I moved it forward for a picture!

Milo's Moments

Milo: I notice everything moved, new or out of place. I especially like faces. I chew faces off my toys! I've been waking up every night for weeks now and want my people to get up and go outside with me. 

I think the doggie cookies are calling my name waking me up, what do you think?

please visit these folks to see what they liked this week, won't you?

rosie and the boys nature pics  

24 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

i love the broccoli salad... that's someting I have to try..

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Lite bright ! an easy bake oven ! How big was that cake ? divided by 6 servings ! Don't forget the icing :)
Crayola 64 crayons ! and a huge box of broken bits of all crayons !
We melted crayon shavings between wax paper with a warm iron, maybe between sheets of newspaper ?, and cut out shapes of leaves for the Fall .
Thanks for all the fun memories of crafting and trying new things !
hugs, take care,
Joanne

Susie H said...

I'd love to try broccoli salad but not sure if my family would approve. I guess I just need to make some and see how it goes. What recipe are you using?

Sara said...

Your broccoli salad looks great. One of those things I enjoy but my husband detests. So I only make it when I know I'll have help eating it, like holidays.

I've always enjoyed crafts of all kind too, as a kid and still now. I get enjoyment from the tasks, but also it keeps my brain on an even keel. Unfortunately I'm working so many hours this week I haven't had much time for anything creative. Lots of work hours expected until the Sept 30 deadline for the grant applications I'm tasked with. I just keep telling myself that it's money earned for Christmas shopping and fabric shopping.

Rebecca Jo said...

That frittata. YUMMM!!!!
I have tried so many crafts & gotten so INTO most of them... but I fade out. It takes so much SPACE in your home to keep up with supplies.

Cloudia said...

I love your whole creative attitude. I guess my main art on my blog would be my photography and choice of captions. I sure hope you enjoy them

Cloudia said...

https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2022/09/once-deeply-knew.html?m=0

Lea said...

Pretty crafts, and I am always interested in food and books!
Hugs to Milo!

Sandee said...

Oh the food. Yummy.

It's always good to see Milo. He's handsome.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. ♥

Kathe W. said...

I love to make baby quilts and I love to cook also! Cheers!

Angela said...

I just made a brocolli salad similar to yours for our dinner tonight. I loved lite brite and my easy bake oven as a child! Great memory!

Brian's Home Blog said...

We always enjoy the beautiful things you create. The food looks yummy too. Milo, I didn't know you were into Facetime pal! Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Crafts? You really HAVE tried them all!!! That heart painting/zentangle is so pretty, LeeAnna.

Carol Andrews said...

So many wonderful crafts LeeAnna. I loved seeing the photos of them all. Broccoli salad is one of my favourites and I often make it two or three times every two weeks in the summer using whatever I have on hand (cranberries, grapes, almonds, pecan, Etc.). Sweet Milo checking to see what’s moved and another face! Poor doggo and poor pawrents having broken nights.

Angie said...

LeeAnna - I thought I knew a lot about crafts, but you have tried many that I have never heard of!!! My main crafts are cross-stitch and drawing. I would like to do more felt projects, embroidery and painted ceramics. That broccoli salad looks delicious! Enjoy your weekend!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi LeeAnna! Thank you for bearing with me while I took a blogging break. It's good to be back, looking for all the positive things each week. I love the fabric you dyed for your Craft sign. And Milo - keep an eye on that mug. Those eyebrows make that mug look a little shifty. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Michele McLaughlin said...

Okay you are officially the craft QUEEN! Wow, you have done a lot! No matter what I play with, I also return to sewing my all-time favorite! Have a great day and waving to Milo dear!!!

Michelle said...

I love a frittata and make them quite often. I saute cherry tomatoes and fresh garlic with evoo to put in them. Makes a great flavor. Thanks for linking up!

mamapez5 said...

You have certainly tried your hand at a lot of different crafts. I have had a play at a fair few but now my arthritic hands only let me crochet and make cards and scrapbook layouts. Sewing was never my 'thing' perhaps because my sister was always so good at it. I belong to a group which used to be called "Stitch and bitch". I never liked the name. Now we are simply Turre Sewing group but we all do whatever takes our fancy, ranging from Knitting and crochet, to quilting, beadwork, and bobbin lace. I shall be very sad if the time comes when I can't do any of it any more.
I have copied down your brocolli salad. It sounds great though I will struggle to find sour cream here. I may have to make some. Kate x

Lisca said...

Gosh you have tried many crafts. I think it's fun to try many different things. I'm going through a not-crafting phase. Probably because my husband is ill and I don't want to get stuck in something
That broccoli salad looks amazing. I'd love to try that. I looked at the recipe and the only thing that I can't get here is the bacon crumbs. They sell them at Ikea, but that is 300 km from here. I will just fry some bacon lardons or something similar. Sour cream doesn't exist here either but I think cream with lemon juice will do the trick.
I always take note of your book choices. I have written down the titles just in case I come across them.
What a cute photo of Milo in front of the 'ugly face' mug.
Have a great weekend and keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca

Rosemary Dickinson said...

You have tried so many crafts! It's great to try new things. I used to do rug hooking too! I forgot all about it. It was such a long time ago. In college, I also tried bargello and needlepoint. It didn't last very long since I was busy with classes. Your broccoli salad looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

Kathleen said...

So many crafts, Leeanna! I haven’t forgotten you, just a crazy week. We are finishing the move to Maine paperwork - which is mostly my tasks left. I’ll be in touch when I have a few days we can pick from. Tell Milo to stop waking you up at night…no need…treats are plentiful during the day!

Sandy said...

The broccoli salad looks and sounds good. LOVE your create from long ago. Love all the bright colors. You've been busy on so many fronts. I have lots of WIP currently and haven't touch them in a while. Just had too much going on to sit quietly and enjoy craft time. Glad you enjoyed the books. I sometimes run out of time on my audio books too, but am happy to report, that when you get them again it picks up right where you left off. I wasn't sure how that would work the first time I did it, so had detailed notes about the timing so I could find the spot again.
Traveling Suitcase

PaintedThread said...

That mug is a hoot! The fritata looks good. So many different crafts you do!