Saturday, September 17, 2022

my creative week sewing, painting, and more

 

Some weeks you finish projects and some weeks are full of all the decisions and work of making them. This was a week of learning in 3 workshops, and background sewing for two big projects. The little stack there is made of 84 blue scrap squares cut out to make a border for this project in the works

I found the pattern on canadianneedlenana I Like post a few weeks ago and had to make it. The blocks are small and full of sewing tiny pieces and it was challenging but it's all together now and needed some visual space (borders) I thought little blue squares but when I laid them out, nope. So I chose some pretty fall bits to add in and the finished piece will debut for Table Scraps at end of month. At least this tiny row of geese came out of the cut offs

 
 
the blue squares will have to wait, and become a new pretty thing later....
 

 I slowly one at a time sewed X block to X block, pressing open seams, so many seams in a 3" block

it is almost in 6 sections now and I hope to start quilting it, Heaven knows how, this week


I like Kelly Blaser who does a free Sunday class that includes yoga, meditation, poetry and writing. 

the poem can be read HERE

She reads a poem and we write what great thoughts it led us to.... I added in a quick sketch with crayon

where do you find inspiration? I often write and color over it or paint and add words. Words and color go together

I can't say I was very inspired by any workshop this week and stopped two of them midway. Like books that don't capture your interest, we can decide to stop. The one that kept me going was Inchies... like my index cards, this small format really intrigued me...

the prompt "mussels" in index card and inchie

the prompts were from top to bottom...ocean, sprinkles, (2nd mussels just because)(face just because)sprinkle again, mussels, Nest eclipse, simple, Innovate, moth, interwoven. Some close ups...

Tombow markers are juicy!

"Innovate" threw me... so I used a painted 2" square as background, painted a flower on another square and cut it out. I glued just the center and in person this is striking to me! 

"moth" was challenging to do in a 2" square! They are brown... not my favorite color but when you look closer, the brown includes other colors like green, pink, and white

"eclipse" threw me, as I thought it wouldn't be colorful or fun but.... art is what you make it. I drew a circle in the center with pencil, filled in with iridescent white, painted the sky with kuretake watercolors mixed colors, painted the black with faber castel pen/ink and stars in white signo pen.

the last prompt was "interwoven" and with that the challenge is over... 

I pulled out this tool

and a 2" square of paper, and traced that squiggle shape over and over with pencil, overlapping, lines over each other, then used staedtler watercolor pencil to color in. Dabbed a water brush to blend, then used a signo silver gel pen to outline...

first the prompt, then think of how to interpret it, then make it. All while having morning coffee. I might have to look up prompt words and continue this. 

I used up creativity this week trying to come up with lunches and dinners... oy. A pop up storm broke one of the fragile pepper plants I've supported for the last 3 months hoping for a few peppers. It's been hot again unlike prior years in colorado. It goes against my spirits to stop a workshop in the middle but I chose to as they weren't what was promised, and didn't resonate with me.

 It all goes into a creative person's life doesn't it. What you choose to make vs what you choose not to do....


Linking to

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 



14 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Look at you with all that creativity flowing, LeeAnna!! I'm looking forward to seeing how you will finish your TABLE SCRAPS Challenge entry this month. LOVE those X blocks and please don't ask me to choose a favorite Inchie (because I like the entire collection!!)

Susie H said...

Your Tablemat Challenge piece is so cute. I downloaded the pattern from NeedleNana too but haven't started it. I love the border fabric you found. It's perfect!

sonja said...

i find inspiration every where, especially out side. nature offers up wonder, surprise, memories and yes inspiration. i found though, one has to be available to access these treasures.. somedays more so than others so be kind to yourself.
i agree about dumping a book going nowhere!
i love your rainbow lattice quilt top mucho!
the sphinx moth definitely needs a larges canvas to be her majestic self.!!
Thanks for all your sharing and stay well.

Sandy Panagos said...

Your "prompts" project is so cool. I just love what you did for the word "innovate"! Well done!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love those miniature pieces of art. How fun to make in a short period of time. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

grammajudyb said...

I’m anxious to see your TSC finish! It’s a cutie! Rainbow X’s is going to be fabulous! And all those “Inchies “! I’m intrigued by those. My creativity is lacking but I love looking at yours! They are fun and the prompt interpretation is so interesting!

Sara said...

So many creative projects this week! I love those cross stitch blocks so much. And the cute little fall project with the pumpkins - so cute!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Love your "Inchies" for art inspiration! Reminds me of a friend from STL who passed away some years ago. She challenged herself to make a 12" art quilt each week for a year. She called them her "Footies." Her husband donated them to the National Quilt Museum where they've been exhibited on several occasions. You should mount a grouping of your Inchies together in a frame and display them!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I'm hear you! Some weeks you just sew and sew and sew! Other weeks...BAM! finish after finish! Great job sticking with your projects!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Fabulous X-block quilt!!! And those prompts/sketches are so much fun!!! Love the moth!!!

Sandy said...

So much art. You really must breathe and eat art. You create all the time in so many different ways. I always love seeing what you're working on. I'm in the dulldums when it comes to crafting at the moment. Bummed due to Covid, a cancelled trip to France, and just being tired. Maybe if I stare at all your creations it will spark my mojo again.
Sandy's Space

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful blocks, I love the tiny flying geese too, it's always fun to see what they will become. Lovely miniature paintings, this pink flower is adorable!
Thank you for sharing your creativity, and linking up to inspire us!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Yes, creation is choice and you make great ones. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

My name is Erika. said...

This is such a fun post. I always find it fascinating how changing the shape or size of your background means you have to rethink the process. It is great to do to keep the brain going, isn't it? And to see what actually happens when you do that. Thanks for passing along this link. It was worth stopping by. Hugs-Erika