Saturday, September 10, 2022

my creative week... drawing, painting, sewing

 

prompt was "sprinkle"

For this week's creativity round up I am starting with vase of flowers. This is from a two week list of prompts to make something 2" square each day. Sometimes I make two...

I am using index cards again, and sometimes painting then cutting down. DH came out of the office, saw a painting I just finished and asked how the neocolor crayons worked. I did a quick leaf study...

then cut it down to 2" engaging the edges. This works as we naturally want to paint the whole scene but it often is more dramatic to engage the borders because the viewer's imagination can finish the painting and they are now part of the art

this one started as a tiny 2" paper, with the prompt ocean. Layers of neocolor watercolor and inks and I just love it. What is it about miniatures that is so endearing??

I'll take a break from paintings for a moment to show some sewing. The color of the month is light blue at rainbow scrap challenge so I got out lots of sky blues to start this pattern (from canadianneedlenana)

which get cut to size before taking to the machine

gonna be small


3 blocks done so far



finished making around 200 X blocks this week, and indulged myself arranging them on the wall. I decided to make a quick throw sized quilt with them instead of thinking it to death. I can always make more if I want to do something more artsy... for now it's all about the color blending

when sewn it should be about 45" X 39" without a border

meanwhile I tried to do several free workshops this week along with the inchies... I'll show you some...

start with a line drawing on index card

use brushstick foam to blend the graphite and create shadows

I just love how the little foam implements blend pencil lines and create shadow. A bit of gold on her necklace gives a second focal point. I love how her face came out and how the underlying graphite shadows create depth

lesson in express yourself
after doing a painting... watercolor plus ink, ask yourself why you chose those colors, those marks and shapes, how it makes you feel when you see it. It's just in my sketchbook but I really like it. I see it as an abstract garden

this was a scrap paper to try color on and use up leftover from the one above. I tear up computer printed paper and reuse it to write notes on. I took one with notes and painted over it. I see it as a city view between buildings, or rock formations with petroglyphs!

acrylic paint and a palette knife, plus gel pens

 

a line drawing in pencil starting a "green woman" or mother earth...rubbing with the foam brushes to shadow her face


then adding color with neocolor crayons and water

again, just in sketchbook on thin drawing paper, but I love how she came out. All day when I walked by her I stopped and admired her. DH also loves how this came out, which is high praise

I continued to add watercolor with my KOI set, and inks in black and white to define the leaves. I love how expressive her eyes are, and love love love her lips.

 Mother earth is tired of trying to fix the mess humans have made of earth. We need to stop acting like we are the most important entities here and realize we are part of the whole. Also, where will we go when there is no water, no clean air, and it's burning hot? 

yes, I have opinions and use art to express feelings, what about you?

Linking to

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

 






15 comments:

Kathy S. said...

I LOVE your bird block!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

love all your art and the pumpkins and crow are perfect for fall!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
2 inch squares ! That does sound fun and at the same time challenging :)
The quilt bird and pumpkin pattern - I tried downloading it but with out succes. I'll go back and try again. Thanks for the inspiration !
hugs, take care,
Joanne

Joanne said...

Found it !
Went back and read it from the beginning !
hugs, Joanne

Sara said...

I'm always intrigued by your play with color and love seeing what you are working on each week! The "cross stitch" quilt is going to be so beautiful. Maybe it's the fact that the block is so simple that the colors are the stars. Love the little pumpkins and bird too!

Susie H said...

I love the eyes too! Very nicely done. I think eyes would be hard to get right. Your X blocks look great as do the Fall blocks.

Norma Schlager said...

I live your leaf lady. She was pretty to begin with, but your coloring really made her special.

The Joyful Quilter said...

So much going on in your studio, LeeAnna!! I spy an entry for the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge AND an RSC quilt? What fun you are having with your paints, too!! Mother Earth is beautiful and deserves to be framed and displayed.

sonja said...

yes, art speaks louder than words for folks like myself and others who explore the world of fabric, color, texture, imagination and "what if".....often and out loud! back in the past, there was a commercial that had a lady,
(in a flower head wreath) that said "it's not nice to fool Mother Nature"!
she came to mind with that pensive face you painted. Lovely!

Ann said...

You are so busy with art these days. Always fun to see what you've been up to.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Wow such a lot of great art this week! Love the variety, but especially those adorable mini art squares. Glad that you've decided on what to do with those X blocks. That quilt is awesome! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

DVArtist said...

Leeanna you are so talented in many different venues. I know so many, including me, enjoy seeing all of your beautiful creations. That faces are fabulous. I love the expression on the second one in particular. Thank you for joining Friday Face OFF.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv your art and stitch patches. Your faces are intriguing.

Much💛love

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

What a lovely array of artwork ... so many different approaches all ending with something that speaks to me. Yes, I have opinions and I wholly agree with you that we need to wake up and respond to what Mother Earth is trying to warn us of ... sadly too many don't want to listen, they are too busy trying to satisfy their own selfish needs. Time will tell if man can save himself.

Andrea @ From the Sol

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

THose pumpkins!!! LOVE them!!!