Saturday, July 16, 2022

the creative week

 

paint over a written list... turns into art

art is a collection of so many decisions.... mixed with a desire to see a thought/feeling expressed  ---LAPaylor

Welcome to this week's sewing/creativity round-up! 
As I'm writing this I'm enjoying this Brazilian music play list...
On to the show!!! (yes I'm an old theater person)
Shall we start with some fabric art? why not...
I spent a lot of time finishing up a design that jumped in my mind so much that I needed to stop the presses and make it... Unfortunately it will be my table scraps offering this month, using purple scraps and circles, so I need to wait closer to end of month to reveal. It only needs a binding at this stage, and I had a lot of fun this week doing hand embroidery and beading, see above a sample.

 This is the block I did for RSC purple scraps this week... done in repro feedsacks fabrics

 
pattern: Wish upon a star G. Fitzgerald
the blocks done in the monthly prompt colors so far... I want to do 12 blocks for the year

Every morning as I wake up with my morning coffee, I do the index card a day prompt... and can't remember what I've shared of recent ones... This pic shows how pretty the gold paint was on the day our prompt was quatrefoil... I made this with painted napkins, torn and glued onto the 4" X 6" card, 

then inked and gold paint added

each day I write something about the prompt on the back, and date it. 

from top left going down: postmark, sky, quatrefoil, rooster, yellow

center down: magical gelato turquoise, geometric, ink

right side down: verdant, ombre, scrabble, mystical (but real one was  whimsical, oops)travel

for travel, I thought of time travel, which I would love to do, and of all the places I want to see... and can't safely go to now

for ink I learned ways to use hash marks and dots to shadow, by watching two good videos on youtube

for turquoise, the side challenge was stitch, so I hand sewed lots of tiny scraps together, remember the card is only 4 X 6" then attached to the card. Morning on the lake

Ombre started with tones of analogous colors painted in a swoop. Then I learned how changing colors of ink in parallel lines impacted the color. It changes it, subtle but real changes. Sometimes I went over

the color with ink color of adjoining swoop. Sometimes ink color across the color wheel... interesting object lesson ...one day I painted that tree card thinking the word was mystical, then realized it was whimsical so on the back of the trees I drew...

I call it the Litter-ate poodle. We all know how smart poodles are... heh heh

and to end this week I did a free video tutorial on mandala... she went so fast I got off on mine but nothing ventured, nothing gained...

I think I learned to take my time, work around and around the paper turning it, make marks, keep going, then at the end add white gold and silver paint! sparkles help most things...in my world! 

Keep making my friends... and share what you try. Our role as painters is to cover things in paint. 

linking to a few parties: 

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

finished or not

art for fun Friday








17 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The peek at your tables scraps project is intriguing! Color, shape, and those beads - so pretty!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Can't WAIT to see those circles for your TABLE SCRAPS Challenge entry, LeeAnna!! You've been SEW creative lately. Paper, paint, AND fabric!!

Mari said...

A little sparkle helps everything! :) (Raining again, in case you're wondering.)

Carolyn said...

All are beautiful, but I especially like the painting over written words.

Quilter Kathy said...

SO many inspiring ideas! I can't wait to see the tablescraps piece with all the knots :)

Linda said...

Your table scraps work is wonderful, love the added embroidery stitches. I'm visiting from Slow Stitch Sunday where I'm joining for the first time.

https://www.craftygardener.ca/stitch-doodling/

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What awesome table scraps! The embellishments are fun too! I applaud you for continuing with your prompt project. Your output is amazing!

Sara said...

I was thinking the same as one of the other commenters - a little sparkle makes everything better, right? Those star blocks are so sweet. They sparkle without any extra bling.

piecefulwendy said...

Those soft purples sure are pretty! You've been creative this week! I always enjoy seeing what you are working on!

MissPat said...

Got a surprise this morning when an email notification for your blog showed up with links to 25 posts! Then later the link to this post which I'd already read by popping over the one of the posts you link up to. Or the wonders of technology. We're hot this week, but finally got .7" of rain yesterday after almost 2 months with less than 2". Hope Milo is recovered.
Pat

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Bravo for a week of creativity! It's good to see you making beautiful things and sharing them on the blog again. Hugs and tail wags.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

what great projects you got going! Brava!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your table scraps entry looks so pretty! Can't wait for the big reveal. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Gillena Cox said...

BRAVO!!!for another wonderful post.
Happy you linked to Art For Fun Friday

much 💚 love

sonja said...

your piece "morning on the lake." .. lovely! that is a form i often use as a warm up to do something - that i don't know what that is yet. i have the scraps and time and love how colors glow and grow with juxtaposition. hope you have a good weekend and if you can, run through a sprinkler!

sonja said...

just went back to reread this colorful post and fell in like with first overpaint/list prompt and your quote below. awesome.

Sharon Kwilter said...

That is a neat block for RSC. Those seams look like a fun challenge.