Saturday, July 30, 2022

Living the creative life lots of pictures... paint, fabric art, painting on fabric!

Welcome to this week's round up of creative works!

This was one of my index card a day paintings... prompt was "forest" and I painted quick aspens

Mainly this week I either did index card paintings or art quilting. 

(As usual click on a picture to make it larger for detail)

 Recently I found out about two painting link parties on Friday that I am happy to join, so starting next week I will break up the creativity post into two, paints on paper Fridays, Fabric art on Saturdays.

 I finished a project, started months ago as a workshop on hand embroidering fabric. We were to paint on fabric, and make marks with different things, like stamps, pens, brushes, etc. It was done months ago... and I decided to use stabilizer instead of batting, for a flat look. 

It was difficult to stitch through, and had so many marks (read: busy)

that I chose to do a variety of machine stitching, couching of thick threads, embroidery stitches, silk appliques, beading etc letting my spirit lead me. 

so marks on marks, lines over lines, shapes over shapes. 

It's a bit hard to see here in pictures so I'll show some close ups to give you a way to see it easier. 

It's meant to lie on a table, but now I have it hanging on one of our posts...












As I sewed and made additions, I thought what a waste of time! Can't really see this unless you're close up... It's just too busy,. then I thought, so what. I'm using supplies, I am enjoying seeing lines appear in color, I am trying out textures...


silk tie leaves appliqued with bugle beads, stem of buttons, leaf stencil

thick gold threads in triangles, silk applique diamond with bugle beads

silk diamonds, bugle beads, back stitch in purple threads

silk hexies, spiral buttonhole, buttons, beads, back stitch, couched metallic threads, leaf stitch

appliqued turned circle, straight stitch, circular buttonhole, buttons, bugle beads

Well you get the idea. At night I am using my purple scraps to do little hexies... for what you ask? I don't know... the zen of making it plus it will go into something!

I carry it around on a home made board of cardboard plus felt

 On to paint on paper!  I saved a frozen meal dish to use for paint water, one side to stay clean, one for cleaning the brush

I painted some things on watercolor paper, one is on Thursday's I Like post header, but I'll focus now on the index card project. The challenge is finishing up today, and I learned a lot, by painting something daily,  interpreting a prompt,  and that you never know what will turn out to be a favorite. The lesson is go ahead and use good supplies as you never know what might work great. This was a challenge to use a small index card, do something quick, and daily. I'll share some of them from this week

These were not prompts, but I had the cards right there so I painted on them...

this lesson was in using the stalilo crayon to draw, then pulling the ink out with a wet brush to shade it... loved that! 

I worked backwards here, the tutorial was paint a rainbow, then ink over. 

I inked in the drawing at left, then dropped in colors. 

I realized I like the pen and ink by itself, and like it with color on it too. 

much to like!

I plan to do a larger version on good watercolor paper as I love the effect... see finished pieces at top of this section.







prompts: briolette, ultramarine, luminous, happiness

poem on lapis lazuli, where ultramarine comes from

prompt is briolette, a faceted stone
So in working black and white with only a tiny bit of blue inserted, I noticed that Milo is displaying the same color scheme!!!
happy creating!

linking with

https://thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com/2022/07/july-2022-table-scraps-challenge-link.html

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

art for fun Friday

 

 

22 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You definitely have the perfect spot there for displaying a tall narrow quilt! It was fun to see what you did with it in the close-ups. I especially like the appliqued bits - like the hexie flower!

Sara said...

That long narrow piece is fabulous!! And it looks so good hanging there. You used so many techniques, so the variety of texture just makes whole thing so interesting. I'm guessing it's even prettier in person.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Busy? Maybe. I absolutely LOVE that you poured SEW many details into this project, LeeAnna!! It actually makes me wish that I had done more than watch the video. What a great batch of ICAD entries, too!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Love your "busy" wall hanging! So many details, so much to seek out, see and appreciate. I think it's great that you hung it where you did, it fits the space well. I bet a different detail catches your eye every time you walk by. Glad to see you're continuing your painting with Friday link ups, too.

Kathleen said...

I love the piece on the column and think it would be fun to by and notice different sections each time I did. Milo is adorable as always.

My name is Erika. said...

Some art is meant to be looked at up close. I love this stitched piece with all the marks. From afar it has some eye catching details, and I really do want to move in closer and look at it. I like where you hung it in your home. Happy (almost) start to August LeeAnna. Hugs-Erika

Angie in SoCal said...

You are so creative Lee Anna! Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your fabric art might be "busy" but to me all those details just draw you closer to the piece. Lots to explore. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

grammajudyb said...

I like the tall make over marks piece. Every time I see your creations, I am encouraged to give the technique a try! Thanks so much for sharing!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Leeanna, that's a great piece - and so fun to look up close and discover all of it's little gems (and hexies). :-)

Quilter Kathy said...

So inspiring - love the close up shots to study the intricate detail!
So true that you never know what will turn out to be your favourite! Some of the most detested quilts during the making have become favourites, and ones I thought I adored during the making, became less interesting upon finishing :)

Ann said...

It's hard to get the overall values properly arranged. I wish I'd had some studio classes. The ability to see a distance view while painting or sewing would be useful.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

What an exciting and creative week!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

How nice of Milo to dress to match your artwork! Love your art quilt! Yes it's busy but that just invites you to look closer. Love your embellishments but then I always do. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Norma Schlager said...

Loving your watercolors, especially the line drawings of flowers, with or without color.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, you made a piece of art, and it belong right where it is. Just at the perfect spot to be admired. I love all the details, and it's fun to look at the lines, beads and other treasures added.
Thank you for sharing ❤️

Iris Flavia said...

Love them all but the last two ones are my favs.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv your runner, thanks for the close ups.
Amazing faces too
Happy you linked to Art For Fun Friday

Much💖love

DVArtist said...

Wow! That quilt is just gorgeous and the perfect place to display it. I also save food containers for art. It saves a lot of money. Your face is just adorable. She has great hair too. Milo is a beauty. Thank you for joining Friday Face Off.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

My tagline when I was teaching and lecturing was: "there are no mistakes in quilting, just learning experiences and creative opportunities. Bring those challenges on. I struggle to commit to a drawing a week, but manage. Really admire your ability to whip out an index card painting a day.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your long narrow wall hanging is amazing!! as is the clean house haha!! Don't think I didn't get a little jealous about that shot!

The Aspens are perfect - you captured them well!
Thanks for Linking to Finished ( or not) Friday!

Michelle said...

I am truly enjoying your art quilt. There is so much interest in it. A lot of art is meant to be viewed up close and I love to study yours.