Saturday, July 2, 2022

creativity round up

 

for this week's creativity round up, I have quilting, painting and drawing! 

Bloom was done for the index card a day with the goal of working in series

 (me: painted paper collaged ) plus daily prompts, this one was "neon" and the next one was "magical"

 I like watercolors, so I painted paper, some napkins from ikea, tissue paper etc to use in collage

 one from before was umbrella... so I did umbrella plants in pen and ink


prompts are Print, Portmanteau, poem, plaid, magical, neon and umbrella


 on the quilting front,  "crocus" is being heavily machine quilted at the moment

I like it so much I used a hoffman tulip fabric on the back. I'll show more close ups when it's quilted and finished, soon I hope as it's exciting to work on

I spent time hand embroidering/quilting my painted "mark making" runner, initially done in a workshop from TextileArt on mark making. It was so "busy" I thought I could stabilize with shirt tailor, and back it and do a very flat table runner, hand quilted with silk binding. 

I spent a good amount of time this week handworking it to little effect. I EPP prepared tie silk blocks to applique on...

the hexies are 1/2"

and will need to reevaluate whether to hand sew more or machine finish

I started a "taster" course in painting with Willowing but it's too much... I want to learn all the techniques but there are three a day and I was 3 days late starting. I need to be more zen about it and just do what I can, but that's not my personality... some examples of what I've done so far


this one gets lots of inking in each color in different patterns... which I will do later but it's going to be really exciting, and I LOVE elephants. I just don't want to rush through the process

this technique is really exciting to me. Draw a lot of faces, cut out one to collage along with some printed papers, then paint. I do enough in my sketchbook to remind me how to make something later. Really I cannot do 3 one hour workshops a day, much less catch up doing 5!! 

this one is also unfinished... it's the style of Klimt... Love... and I subbed in the poodle for a baby. He's my baby. I think it needs a lot of patterning around it. One course was in designing pattern, painting flowers and appliqueing them onto it... so I'll combine that idea with my painting

anyway... sots of exciting learning, got to get back to it

THANK YOU for looking and please leave a comment if you are able

to finish....

 

while having my morning coffee, I watched the following video on how to draw simple shapes and how to use them in every drawing

linking to a few parties: 

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

finished or not

art for fun Friday


 


14 comments:

Deb said...

I love your Klimt style work, it is so interesting! Have a great week!

Mari said...

Such great paintings! The poodle is much better for the Klimt style than a baby would be. Happy Fourth!

Sara said...

I'm speechless again - you work is so lovely!!! I've said it many times before but I think you do botanicals especially well. Wow!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

WOW, you've really gotten a lot out of the workshops you're taking. That bison is amazing, she has so much personality. You say these are learning exercises for you, but each one is a mini work of art in its own right. Congrats on such a productive week!

MissPat said...

Love the animals, especially the pink cat and the elephant, which would also look good made with fabric. Good stuff all the way around.
Pat

Sherrie said...

Hi,
I love the pink cat...it's so cute. I really
like your Hexie piece...it has an interesting
pattern to it. Have a great day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The pink cat is really fun! And lots of fun stitches in your embroidered piece,too. I really like the little hexie flower you're adding to it!

Sally Langston Warren said...

The pink cat and elephant would be awesome made into cards! Also would be nice made with fabric as someone else suggested. Looks like you are having lots of creative fun!

Rebecca Grace said...

You were trying to do THREE hour-long workshops per day?!! Girl, I can totally relate to that. Your recent work is so exciting, though. I love the Willowing pieces, the faces, the crocus quilting piece that I can't wait to see more of, ditto that for the marking piece... I've been considering signing up for Bethanne Nemesh's on-demand online class on using Procreate (iPad app) for quilting design, because I always have my iPad nearby and I already use it a lot for sketching out designs, but using note-taking apps that aren't geared at all towards drawing. The reason I've held back from signing up is that I still haven't worked my way through the embroidery digitizing lessons to learn software I purchased, and I have a million projects in my head (too many of them that I've already purchased fabric and supplies for) that aren't started yet. Guilt has an adverse impact on creativity and productivity, so no new classes for me for now!

Sandy Panagos said...

I loved reading this post. You are so talented, and there's so much variety in your work. Very cool

Gillena Cox said...

Luv your like Klimt painting. You gave us quite a treat of art today. Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much💚love

My name is Erika. said...

Your post is full of such color. I love that about your posts in general. I like your table runner. Mark making is a good thing to do. I have a big canvas piece I made several years ago as a small quiltlet and I don't know where to go with it either. And I am really bad at keeping up with online classes, but I always think if I get one thing...You look like you got a lot from the ones you did, even if there were too many. Have a great weekend. hugs-Erika

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What an incredibly creative week you had!
Bloom is gorgeous - as well as Plaid... LOVE that one!
and your Buffalo...I really really like him!!!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

What beautiful pieces but I agree, three a day is a bit too much switching for me. To be successful, I need to dive in and spend time with a new thing for hours, maybe the whole day. So give yourself permission to do that. As you say, with your notes, you'll be able to explore the activities for longer on a another day. Love your work! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.