Sunday, November 22, 2020

sunday questions

 


 
  
 
 
Some Halloween questions from Huffington Post.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
1. What did you do for Thanksgiving when you were a kid?
A: I remember many construction paper turkeys colored in elementary school...
 I remember sitting at the kids table until the magical year I was invited to the adult table, with the pretty dishes, and lots of interesting adult talk. I knew the quieter I was the more I could hear. I used to adore the spiced peaches we had on the table only at Thanksgiving. 

2 .What’s your favorite family tradition?
A: years ago it was a card game that we'd play each time we got together. 

3. What’s your favorite way to give back and help others?
A: I try to do small unexpected favors, hold open a door, let other cars into my lane, little things that might make the world spin smoother. One night we were dawdling after dinner in Little Italy Baltimore, walking back to the car and saw a woman struggling with groceries into her house. We stopped and asked if we might help, she gladly accepted this small kindness from strangers. We all felt connected. 
It is my belief that we can all give back, or pay if forward and that helps all of us.
I have the most trouble with injustice and intolerance. We donate money to agencies that work against that. 

4. Name one person who can make you laugh, even months later. Why?
A:
5. What is the funniest thing you remember about a Thanksgiving past?
A:

6. Do you have any unusual traditions, rituals or habits around Thanksgiving?
A: no

7. What time do you eat your Thanksgiving meal?
A: no certain time but  when it's just we three, late afternoon

8. Name one ancestor that you think about on Thanksgiving and tell us why.
A: my birth parents.. I wish I could find them

9. Is there a family heirloom at the Thanksgiving table? What its story?
A: growing up we always used the Desert Rose dishware that I loved. We had a lot of it with special pieces that came out twice a year. I was supposed to inherit that but didn't get it. I'd love to one day finally have a set of it.

10. What is your favorite part about Thanksgiving Day?
A: I really like the Macy's parade on tv.... I used to love having lots of people over for dinner. In Annapolis we would walk around old town after dark, when it was quiet and sparkly. I like that it starts the Christmas season, the tree goes up, pretty decorations go out, and movies started being shown on tv.
 I love that no matter what your religious beliefs you can celebrate thanksgiving by remembering what you're grateful for.

11. What is something that was done for you this year that makes you grateful this Thanksgiving?
A: dh worked hard to find a job in the company he could do remotely to lower our risks. I was given the gift of friendship by a lovely woman who meets with me every week on zoom, it made me feel connected. I am thankful for each friend who sees me with grace, loving me even if I'm fearful, and laughing with me at life.

12. What foods do you usually have for Thanksgiving?
I always make a zucchini casserole with parm cheese, we have ambrosia made with navel orange sections, red grapefruit sections, fresh pineapple, coconut, bananas and cherries. I make cranberry sauce with orange peel, raspberry vinegar and cinnamon sticks every year (old recipe from Martha Stewart) sweet potatoes roasted to caramelize them mixed with maple syrup and pecan pie (no corn syrup I use maple syrup in it) of course turkey, dressing (stuffing made outside the bird) and mashed potatoes. No turkey this year as whole foods is out of frozen breasts and they deliver food thawed all the time so we don't trust them with fresh poultry. 

13. How has the celebration of Thanksgiving today changed from when you were little?
A: it seems like it has become about shopping. It was the visiting holiday when I was little... the time when all the family gathered, with friends too, to sit around a table of plenty and talk into the evening, telling stories we knew but enjoyed anyway. Then we could watch the Wizard of Oz on once a year

14. If you could share Thanksgiving dinner today with one person in history who would it be? Why? (Note: it can be a relative)
A: John Adams.. I'd love to know what he wanted for our country, and what he thinks of the current situation of power imbalance, and where one man has sown the seeds of distrust dividing the nation.

15. What is one wish you have for the next generation as they begin to establish their own Thanksgiving traditions
A: you create the meaning of holidays.... you make it special and you set the traditions 
start now including others not just family, in your celebrations. There are so many people like us with no family or place to belong, and we would love to be invited (not during the quarantine year sadly) to share a time of belonging with others.

 come see the others answering these questions at SundayStealing and I'd love to hear one of your stories or traditions too!!!

9 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Love your answsers to 3 and 10. I'll be curious to see what they do for the parade this year...apparently there will be one, but perhaps only for people on TV.

John Adams is a wonderful choice for dinnere.

Divers and Sundry said...

We quit having the larger family gatherings for Thanksgiving before I graduated to the grown-up table.

I'll miss the parade this year as it's such an integral part of that morning, and I'm hoping they'll put on a tv show at that same time of highlights from previous years or something similar.

I remember ambrosia! Mother's always had shredded coconut in it. I loved it :) I have the dish she served it in. Sweet :)

dq said...

This is a lovely post to remind us to be thankful and remember the good times.

I would wish for my posterity to always put family first.

Sara said...

Thanksgiving was the one holiday when extended family and friends gathered at my parents' house. My dad grilled turkey over apple wood every year. It was fabulous! Most years they also invited friends - usually singles who didn't have much family. But I haven't been to a holiday meal with anyone on my side of the family since my folks died 30 years ago. Luckily we have spent some wonderful Thanksgivings with my husband's side of the family.

CountryDew said...

I had to look up the dishware set. IS this it: https://www.replacements.com/china-franciscan-desert-rose-usa-backstamp/c/24785?rplSrc=IJ&rplSubEvent=6323619&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BNG-SRCH-NB-PRO-CHINA-Top_Patterns_iQ&utm_term=bmm%3ADesert_Rose_Dinnerware&utm_content=80951611799616&dvc=c&msclkid=03e23446379018a291a26bfc8eed843f

It's beautiful if it is. I've never seen it before. Have a good holiday.

LA Paylor said...

yes! I should have the complete set but my sister got it instead. I could not afford to replace it now

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Spiced peaches! Wonderful memories flooded in.
We had three peach trees and mother canned what we didn't eat. Yum.
When we moved to San Diego, we used to go see the Christmas lights on the way home from Thanksgiving dinner with DH's parents. It was fun for the kids.
Beautiful that you are a daily kindness person. It's a wonderful way to change the world.

sonja said...

i used to have Desert Rose dishes fround in thrift shops and yard sales in the early 70's. i loved them and only parted from them 6 years ago on our last move.the salad plates made great plant holders on top of a doily!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Zucchini casserole?! What time's dinner??? :o))