Monday, July 1, 2019

the week ahead

little wooden adironack chairs from Michaels on the mantel
Another week... another Monday... and this week's happy homemaker monday post
even the trees are stressed from the heat
The weather in Aurora CO
HOT. It went from cold to hot, hot hot. Nearing 100, blistering in the sun, daily rainstorms in late afternoons, much more humid than usual and lots of bugs. Everyone likes to say any negative weather isn't "normal" but we've noticed it's daily.
Some of my flowers wilted despite being watered daily.

Wearing
I admit, even with my flappy upper arms, I've been wearing cute sleeveless shirts. If it's too much for you, don't come over but it's hard to even cool the house when it's so hot outside. Oh and shorts too, lol, I haven't sunk to wearing a swimsuit in public yet.

eating
 easy to cut up foods and soups, with my temporary crowns in place. Nothing special although DH found some flan pudding cups, and it reminds me of childhood (growing up around cuban food)

explanation
I had a panic attack one night and fainted,  damaging three front teeth. Hence the dentist visit last week. Don't ask, it was awful, painful at each step,  and the temporary crowns are misshapen. Since then I've heard so many people who had a fall for whatever reason, one friend tripped over her dog, and also needed root canal and crowns on front teeth. Sports accidents, car accidents, falls of some kind. Who knew?

To Do
the usual suspects in chores.
We MUST put up some black-out curtains in the master BR as I wake at 6 each morning... y'all I'm a night person... I'm bumbling thru life so tired now.
We bought a hedge trimmer and started trimming the bushes... then realized we don't know which ones bloomed already and if those little berry things mean those will be blooming, we need help!
paint little gold stars on the patriotic table runner
call the vet because Milo has another ear issue
call the dentist to discuss the ill fitting temporary, but I may not be able to overcome the fear.
make plans for the weekend of the 4th, and I know there are two big craft shows to attend.
Purchase ear plugs for Milo so he won't freak out with fireworks (that are illegal here but people do them anyway, grrrrrrrrr) except you can't do ear plugs for dogs so figure out how to sooth him.
wash the fabric I got at the quilt expo spree last week.
Use my fabric stash freely instead of acting like it's made of spun gold
chat with some friends by phone to catch up. Can't neglect the relationships I value just because of distance.
Find out if our coffee group has finally found an alternate place to meet. The restaurant has been increasingly nasty to us for no reason and even the sweet tempered among us are now over it. I was over it long ago but like seeing the people.

art
I enjoyed this video on how to make beautiful letters with serifs, some filled in. She details how to change your letters to suit the project or your own desires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWc6LC5XTY

I finished this table runner, and kind of love it! I want to put tiny random gold stars on with ink today.
Look at the binding... America the Beautiful
Still painting daily, and drawing. This may not be a phase, I've painted before, sketched before, but this time I am really into it. I will continue to knit, bead, sew and embroider though. Always making something with my hands.

fact: when I found out I was adopted, one thing I was told is my birth mother did a lot of needlework. I wish someone had gotten a piece from her to give me... and I've always from a little girl done crafts.

watching
Amazing Race finished last week, so what am I watching... that I can admit to? I watch TV... I enjoy PBS, Bravo, Master Chef (real people competing for a chance to publish a cook book) but there's not much to choose from on regular channels in the summer. We refer to Prime, ACORN, and netflix.

On the computer, I've been watching...

(https://www.youtube.com/)
the world of stonehenge... all about mesolithic time period, before and after... just listening to this man's accent is soothing to me but I'm fascinated with archeology and how people lived before me.
reading
I'm reading the third book of the librarian series of Victoria Gilbert, and it's as well written as her other two. Keep writing Victoria!
Past due for murder

Writing
As I go through the days, I find I think about how I'd paint an object, or sew an art quilt to represent a color or feeling, and sometimes I write a story in my mind as I walk along. I used a prompt of 12 words to write a story I really liked yesterday and would appreciate any readers and comments on it.
the link is:a bonding experience

Inspiration
this fledgling was sent from the nest. It couldn't fly really, and didn't know what to do. I feel like that a lot. We noticed him as we sat on the front porch having our breakfast. My heart felt sad to see it crying out and alone, with a poodle so close. (we held him back) It hopped and tried to stay hidden in grass or shade but other big birds were flying too close.
it's a big world out there. See the mama in the street watching her baby out in the big world?
Just as I wondered how to care for it, the mama came up with a fat worm, and popped it in the baby's mouth. Oh good, not forsaken or thrown to the "poodles" it was being cared for.
I think too many people think they are the only creatures capable of love and concern, they are the only ones with worries and threats, they can do what they want to the environment with no care to the thousands of other living organisms being affected by our choices. I was inspired Sunday morning to see some of God's small creatures, often overlooked by people, care-taking and sharing our need to protect others.
I hope this baby makes it. I hope some people wake up to realize we are merely part of the world, not the only part. With strength comes responsibility.
Know what I mean?
Sometimes I feel as alone as this little bird, but am grateful for my wee family of three, all of which cares for each other.

Linking to
Esther's blog Wednesdays 

Midweek makers wednesdays

14 comments:

Felicia said...

For Milo, they make a doggie Dramamine that will help calm her down without dosing her to the point of knocking her out. We use it for our dogs when traveling and on the 4th.

I love watching mom and dad birds kick their little ones out because of the way they hover around, flying to and fro tweeting their encouragement for the little one to take flight.

Hope your teeth issues are soon better, the dentist is never fun.

Have a great Fourth of July and a great week.

Sara said...

Hope your dental issues are solved. I have a terror of dentists too. We had a really loud thunderstorm last night and even the cat was nervous. How my husband slept through window rattling thunder I will never know.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

CBD has done wonders for travel anxiety and fireworks noise. I am tempted to find the offenders by combing the neighborhood and turning them in to the police but that's just the way I roll. 😈 Have a safe and happy fourth of July week.

Carol said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your panic attack and fainting :-( Flan is delicious, though -- sometimes I buy those little grocery store flans for a treat. YUM! Beautiful table runner! Hope the fireworks aren't too crazy and you enjoy the rest of this week!

MissPat said...

The chandelier block table runner turned out great. Sorry the dentist didn't go well. It's bad enough without being terrified of them. We have a bird house hanging on the end of our front porch. It was meant as a decoration but we've had a gazillion generations of little brown birds (either wrens or sparrows, I'm not sure which). It was interesting to watch both the mama and papa bring back food for the little screechers. When I got home from quilt retreat, the babies were gone, but the parents keep hovering around the bird house, so I think there may be more on the way. Hope things cool down a little for you soon.
Pat

MissPat said...

PS: I think you should send a photo of the table runner to Debbie at Stitchin' Therapy. I think she'd be pleased to see it.
Pat

threesidesofcrazy said...

I enjoyed reading your post this week. I'm sorry to hear about your fall and subsequent teeth issues - so hope it's resolved soon to your liking. Have a GREAT week and happy 4th of July.

Jodi said...

oh my gosh..... the dentist story! Hugs! Love the table runner. I need to see if Michaels still has those Adirondack chairs! Ok... The Bacherlorette.... ugh she annoys me at times.. and I so loathe Luke P! Next week its looking like he FINALLY gets the boot! Have a great week... and no more panic attacks, k?!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

How sweet about the mama and baby. I agree, some people just live for themselves. That was one scary fall! I would go right back to the dentist to make sure they don't screw up the permanent ones. UGH! Love your table runner. Cool idea on the gold stars. Have you tried that "thunder" wrap I see on tv for comforting dogs in loud noises? Happy 4th!

Luludou said...

OUch! that must've hurt (teeth). Hope you are feeling better, ... too hot here too. I like Fall temperatures not summer temperatures.
Have a good week

Angie said...

LA - I can see why you like your table runner - and I look forward to seeing it with the stars … We all have times when we feel alone, but as I hope you realize from all the bloggers who faithfully participate in your Thursday Blog Hop, or comment on your blog - you have many friends! Hope the Fourth brings some joy despite potential anxiety for Milo!

Ann said...

“Use my fabric stash freely instead of acting like it’s made of spun gold.”
I’m going to post this near my stash as a reminder.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Great table rummer!
the fabric stash quote should be made into a sign!
you are really getting to know the area and services there!
hugs,
Joanne

Rebecca Knox said...

Greetings, LeeAnna! As you can see, I'm running waaaay behind this week. I'm sorry to hear about your teeth and am praying healing over all. What a beautiful table runner! Hope you and your family had a nice 4th of July. I will see you again tomorrow! Blessings! <3