Friday, July 5, 2019

paint party Friday

I've been painting or drawing each morning and experience is a good teacher. So are all the youtube videos I've seen, thank you to everyone who's posted one to teach me a technique!
Sometimes I get an idea to try...

This week, in sorting the studio, I ran across some more stamps my friend Ellen sent and tried them on paper and fabric. On paper I used tombow brush markers to ink the stamps and on fabric I used fabrico brush pens to ink them.

I tried this technique of stamp then paint, on watercolor paper (cold press 140 lb) first then sketch paper and compared the two.

Color is suspended for longer on the watercolor  paper, blends more, sometimes too much, including tombow markers. They do tend to make a sharp line not always blendable so I brushed them across the stamp then pressed on paper, hoping to soften them with water.
Three stamps for this composition. Then used watercolor paint to go over each one. It became pretty messy, so I went over it with the staedtler gray to define some lines, make cute window panes, outline the stars, define the sun.
At the end I added in the printed words for my husband
So for my non painting friends, using stamps, markers, and a waterbrush can make doing a piece of art easy.
Then I tried the whole experiment on sketchbook paper to see how the tombow markers behaved.
The two images have a different effect.
sharper lines to begin with... need very little water to soften the lines, so it's a delicate process, they bleed thru the thinner flatter paper
kind of interesting to see the barely there image from the back
This is the stage where I dragged the tomobow inks a bit with the brush. The ground was gray tombow directly applied and it would not soften in the least even though I immediately wet the area. I also just pulled color in from lines to give me a softer color blend on the bowl.

Finished sketchbook page
with staedtler outlining to create stone under her feet softening that harsh gray. I liked the quote (can't remember now who's it was on pinterest) did not like the hard triangle the sun stamp made on paper, but liked the quality of softening the house's lines.

The method of brushing ink onto the stamp back and pressing on paper, then painting is fun. I tried it on cloth  with permanent textile markers and the effect was quite different. Harder edges, less blending. I plan to try that again with tsunieko inks and a blending stick. I'll show you that later.

For now, get out there and experiment and show me what you make!

Meanwhile,
I enjoyed this video comparing watercolor paint brands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0k4LVZkRzk&t=1145s

This site caught my eye, with ways to use art to de-stress
https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/20-art-therapy-activities-you-can-try-home-destress.html
I thought this was a clever list, found on pinterest
Famous Artists Idea Sheet with Country of Origin,        Category, Element of Art and Working Ideas... by Hasenfeffer
Linking to :

https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/
 

11 comments:

sirkkis said...

You painted beautifully stamps and love the flower painting 🎨
Happy PPF 😍

Linda Kunsman said...

lovely art combining painting and stamps. happy PPF!

Julierose said...

When I do watercolor with stamps--I encourage them to bleed--sometimes with a spritz of extra water--and then I try and make flowers or leaves out of the parts that flowed...
I haven't done my watercolors in a long time...but they are such fun--I like that you can make them precise or not...
Love your painting with the quote...hugs, Julierose

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Sweet! Sometimes I have to 'stamp off' so as not to get lines too dark. Experience is always the best instructor.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I enjoyed looking at your process.

Powell River Books said...

Way back when I was in junior high, my art teacher took a Christmas drawing of an angel and had it made into a print block. I used it to make Christmas cards that year. It was quite an honor. - Margy

Kaja said...

I can't draw and improving never reaches the top of my list of priorities but I love the idea of using stamps as a starting point. That I might be able to manage.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Great studies, I always find if I have an image that I like it's good to experiment on different surfaces to see how they evolve with different mediums. Looks like you have had great fun watching techniques and putting them to paper.
Thanks so much for sharing Happy PPF Tracey.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great post, LeeAnna. The way you have incorporated stamped images and quotes with your watercolours is wonderful...

Ann said...

You are having such fun, LeeAnna. Thanks for sharing so much information for those of us with much less experience in the medium. Continue enjoying yourself.

Courtney said...

I enjoyed reading your post and looking at your lovely artwork. Thanks for sharing the Pinterest page of Famous Artists and Ideas. Happy PPF!!