Saturday, September 16, 2017

orange scraps turn into stars

Thought I would share my car work with you.
As you might know, I am doing the Rainbow Scrap Challenge again this year. I learn so much by exploring one color each month.
This month is orange.
We were in Colorado when the color was announced. I asked what it would be so I could take those scraps but never found out, so luckily my friend Mary opened her orange scrap bin to me so I could do leaves and stars.
There is a large mix of tone and pattern. I may do a few more now that I'm home again.

It's coming on to Fall and Orange is the natural color of Fall.










I also worked a lot, while listening to another digital book, which was engaging, while traveling thru the heartland of the USA.
The Riesling Retribution: A Wine Country Mystery by [Crosby, Ellen]
 Each star takes a long time. Each segment is basted to paper patterns, then whip stitched together long tiny points protected. I had plenty of time to sew the ones already in progress, as well as make two orange ones from Mary's scraps.
More on stars next week.

linking to among others
http://www.sewcanshe
oh Scrap Sundays 
 slow stitching Sundays
design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays
Main Crush Monday
the mop link party mondays
 

17 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice progress on your Spiky Stars. LOVE the ORANGE ones from Mary's stash!! What a good friend to share her treasured bits of fabric scraps with you.

Edith said...

I like the look of your leaves on the different coloured fabrics, so inviting. I agree, what a nice friend you have to share her stash with you.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those spiky stars! They are beautiful in all the different colors you've been making. The book sounds interesting - I will have to see if my library has it!

PaintedThread said...

Those stars are looking cool!

Michele McLaughlin said...

LOVE!!!!

scraphappy said...

The stars look great. So sorry to not let you know what the color was going to be. I must have missed that comment entirely. Glad you found some orange though.

Kaja said...

What fun to work with scraps from someone else's stash. I love your pointy stars and am impressed that you are so patient in doing all the work they demand. Worth it though.

Julierose said...

Lovely colors in your petals...very pretty stars also...nice work hugs, Julierose

The Cozy Quilter said...

Orange is my favourite colour! I love the variety you have!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great progress on your orange additions. It is such a happy color. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Angie said...

Stars are looking great - do you have a plan for them?

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

The leaves are so bright and cheery! mary

CathieJ said...

Those orange projects are both really pretty.

MissPat said...

Okay, I've caught up. Commented on one or two of the previous posts. Just have to say that deer in the back yard would be a non-starter for me. I had 14 of them in the back yard last Wednesday.
There are a lot of quilt shops in the Denver area. Don't know how close to Denver you landed, but you should check out the shop hop they hold. Not sure how often it's held, but I got to do a partial hop in 2014.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the move goes smoothly and that the smoke has cleared by the time you arrive and that the snow has started by then :)
Pat

Miaismine said...

I absolutely love your flowers/stars...all of it! I learn something about playing with color every time I read your blog! Thank you for sharing!

Glenda said...

How wonderful to dive in to some one else's scrap bin of colour what wonderful fun that must have been seeing scraps new to you and been able to use them. love the orange leaves, I love making leaves and circles for no reason even LOL Glad its you making those starts!!!!!!! those points must be so fiddly to get right. Hugs your way keep smiling. Glenda

AlidaP said...

Such a wonderful way to use small scraps. Thanks for sharing!!