Saturday, June 10, 2023

My creative week, watching paint dry, drawing, index card challenge, and a finished bed quilt!

 

Welcome to this week's creativity round up!  

I am highly inspired by the Index Card a Day (ICAD) challenge prompts. The first week we had 7 prompts and were asked to focus on using mark making tools. The second week has 7 more prompts and we're encouraged to use collage. All my cards are 4" X 6" and unruled. (like me) 

the card above, was interpreting "treble clef" and I used a stabilo crayon and water brush, red pigma pen.That's the card my engineer/musician husband likes best and wants framed in his office... nice compliment right?

meanwhile back to quilt making, and actually finishing the bed quilt of stars... 

It doesn't photo well, but it's done, and the binding is in a lovely vintage purple moda marble fabric. I hand sew the binding to the back when I want to make sure it's all perfectly flat and even, so that was the last big job on this 62" X 70 -ish" person sized quilt.


 I made the colored squares last year for the RSC colors of the month, and the black and white ones this year. It was machine quilted in sections then joined invisibly on the back. Each square has fun, or lovely fabrics specially chosen for them. The batting is bamboo/cotton blend, soft and warm.

I finally tired of dithering and just added a purple vintage Jinny Beyer purple print as borders for my portal piece so it's ready to quilt now.

the working title of this is the quilt with many seams

back to paper art....

Here are the first 9 cards, plus the leafy iris one done for fun, and the bottom right one done as a background for a future one. I got some distress oxide ink pads and began playing with them

I saw someone dabbing a sponge on the pad, then smearing it on the paper, but I just tapped the square on my card... interesting...

I sort of got cofused with the prompt wildflowers, and did a spring flower, but am quite pleased with how the drawing came out. I did it in purple pigma pen, and the rationale is, a squirrel transplanted the bulb in a stick covered field, wilderness + flower

this is the back of the card

Day 1 (sapling) Day 2 (polka dots) Day three (map)

I find it fun to interpret the prompts... that's mother earth planting saplings, and "Soph, with matching hair and purse" and a globe which inexplainably is another thing I'm hearing anti woke people complain about online, and an arrow pointing to one tiny place on the map, the one that means the most to me.

the next 4 days, Day4 (espresso) Day 5 (stripes or zebra) Day6 (wildflower) Day7 (treble clef)

while it's coffee not espresso, my morning coffee is strong. I tried to really see the mug, with it's shadows and light, shape, color. Drawing is training me to see better. 

For this one, I wrote the word first, with my new Fudenosuke pens by tombow. Then decided to try to draw/sketch a zebra as part of the word... The word is the animal sort of. I love his face!

I will save the next two for next week and finish with this off the cuff painting:

I was thinking, black and white with one splash of color! Blue iris. 

 I wrote a poem on the back of this one

all of these are generally done first thing in the morning, while having my coffee and easing into the day... Lastly I'll leave you with color... I noted how pretty these were next to each other... ain't color 

GRAND?


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

finished or not

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/





14 comments:

Susie H said...

One beautiful finished quilt. Great job, Leanna. That stripe in the 1st border is great!

Sara said...

The star quilt is gorgeous! I really like how you put the black stars around the outside.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

The Index Card project is fun, and beautifully made. I love the treble clef too! The Zebra is a fun idea ;)
Lovely finishes, your star quilt is gorgeous, and Portal looks pretty with its new border;
thank you for sharing your art, and linking up!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your star quilt is so pretty! Congratulations on the finish!

Gillena Cox said...

Happy Sunday. Share the smiles on your blog.
Remember to link to
Sunday Smiles

Much💚love

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your finished star quilt! The outer black star blocks are very effective!

MissPat said...

The star quilt is wonderful. So many hours making the blocks and doing the quilting in section. You get extra credit for your dedication and perseverance. And the purple border works perfectly on the Portal quilt. My favorite index crad is the fuschia one. You captured the flower exactly.
Pat

Kaja said...

Your star quilt is fabulous. I especially like how the black and white stars help to pull everything together but also let those colours really shine out.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Quilting your Twinkle Stars quilt was hard I know but what a lovely finish! Your Portal top simply shimmers. Love it. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/06/147/wednesday-wait-loss-332

grammajudyb said...

WoW, just WoW! Your star quilt is gorgeous.I love how you share your process for the ICAD prompts. So interesting! I hope you do frame the Treble Clef for your hubby. It should be fairly easy to find/acquire a 4x6 or slightly larger frame. Good luck!

DVArtist said...

LeeAnna it is always so nice to see what you are creating. Your quilts are beautiful as are your drawing. I love what you wrote, watching paint dry. LOL Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a nice weekend.

Gillena Cox said...

Some really nice cards. And your always awesome quilting.
Thamks for linking to Art For Fun Friday at Lunch Break blog

Much💚love

Norma Schlager said...

Your star quilt is fabulous. It really sparkles. What you accomplish every week always astounds me. Go check my blog and see my excuse this week for not getting much done.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a super creative amazing week!
your bed of stars is gorgeous!!!