Saturday, June 3, 2023

my creative week a little inking, a lot of sewing


 On Sunday last, while chatting with my friend Cindy on FT, we had a 2 person stitching session. 

you may remember this is the table scraps challenge piece I finished but for the hand embroidery.. it's now done! On the bedside table and I LOVE how it came out looking like a sketch done with thread!

no marking tools seemed to work to transfer this coloring book page so I ended up cutting it out, and tracing around it onto my finished quilt, with silver colored pencil. 

That gave me the basic outline and propoprtions





I used #8 precensia perle cotton to stitch with, and dove right in without much of a plan. Some outline stitch, some chain stitch, some tiny straight stitches next to each other to look like feathers

bits of sketching lines stitched in for some depth and shadowing
The face was a little challenging, to do without traced lines

remember I appliqued a frayed homespun strip over the others for texture? It made stitching the face just a bit tricky but I love how it came out. I finished the stitching in about 1 1/2 hours too

now I want to do chain stitch everywhere! And the thread was so easy to use. Smooth and strong, just like my husband! (did you read this hon?)

one morning while having my coffee, I colored in my extra coloring book page with new markers given me for my birthday... tombow brush ink called Tropical

use all the colors!

I also worked on the star quilt, to finish the quilting of borders. I thought I'd whip right through it but...

things always take longer than you think they will... I started from here... two borders quilted, attached, seam covered on the back by hand whipping down the extra fabric... voila!

time for the long borders, starting with a new fabric on those

and adding in a bit of the top and bottom border fabric so it looks right on the stripe inner border

piece strips of backing fabric so they are long enough at 70", cut strips of the bamboo batting long enough for each border, doing everything times two to make both long borders. gently sandwiching all these layers leaving extra along the striped inner border to use to cover the final seam after. 

this tool helps me pin baste with safety pins

whew! then quilt both border strips... make sure to go in and out of the stripe now and then for stability


both are about ready to piece to the center sections, just the top fabric/batting on the border folding that extra fabric out of the way to use as a cover for the seam.
and it will look like it was all done the usual way, clean but manageable in my small machine
I love the actual stars, twinkle pattern from SoScrappy blog

when making blocks in the RSC color of the month I forgot I would have to turn them into a big quilt... It's hard to quilt them as I have a back condition and small domestic machine but aren't they lovely. The bamboo batting is heavier than I thought it would be, but very drapey and soft. Hope it isn't too hot. 

next step, attach these to the center, do hand stitch to cover the seam on back, and bind it. I'm actually considering a bold turquoise binding! what do you think? 

I always wonder if using my pretty fabrics is worth it on any quilt I'm making, but like an older woman told me in my quilt-youth... if you use those fabrics on a quilt you're keeping, you actually still have them! 

happy art-ing y'all

the index card a day art prompts have started and are open to everyone. 

ICAD 2023 Index of Prompts & Themes

I'm behind but I loved making an index card sized artwork each day last year. The first prompt was on June 1st... sapling. Gotta go figure out how I want to do a sapling!

find your creative happy place y'all

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

finished or not

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/

17 comments:

Sara said...

I think your Twinkle Star quilt AND the flamingo piece are just awesome! Great job!!

Helen said...

What a lovely and creative thing do to on your little pink/orange table scrap quilt! I love it!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how you stitched the flamingo on your orange mini! The star quilt is turning out wonderfully, too. It's been a lot of work to get it quilted, but hopefully, worth it!

Mari said...

Oh my gosh I love the flamingo! The piece just screams Leeanna! Love the Twinkle Stars, too. Have a good weekend!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

That Twinkle pattern is awesome and your stars so beautiful. I also just love your flamingo piece. As always, showcasing your creative talents.

Linda said...

Your flamingo is gorgeously done! The stars are really neat, looks like you are having fun. :) Enjoy your week!

PaintedThread said...

LOVE those stars. That flamingo is pretty cool, too.

MissPat said...

I admire your perseverance for finding a workaround to get a big quilt quilted. It's beautiful and well worth the struggle. Love the flamingo, too.
Pat

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Hoooooo, lovely flamingo! I love the stitches, very creative, and the face is perfect! Beautiful border for the stars, this weavvy fabric looks like heat radiation from the stars ;)
Thank you for sharing your art, and linking up.

Susie H said...

Oh my! I love that flamingo! You did a fantabulous job!!! The stitching is just gorgeous and perfect -- not too much, just right! Great job!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your flamingo is so pretty and it does look exactly like you sketched it! So clever. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/06/07/wednesday-wait-loss-331

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi LeeAnna, I love how your flamingo turned out. It really is gorgeous!

DVArtist said...

OMGosh! you are just brilliant. I love everything on today's post, however, that colorful stars and stripes is just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing with FFO.

Gillena Cox said...

Beautiful flamingo on cloth and as well on paper. Happy Friday. Thanks for linking to AFFF.
On Sundays there is another linky at my blog Sunday Smiles

Much💚love

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I love how you mixed up your stitching on the flamingo. It adds dimension to the piece.

Norma Schlager said...

I love your hand embroidery on the flamingo piece. Was it hard to go thru all the piecing?

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You have the patience of a Saint and your quilt turned out beautiful. So much work and you obviously know what you are doing. I will probably never make a quilt again. I made a small one with my granddaughter years ago ... heaven only knows where it is now :) Anyway, love the bird stitched into your quilt, makes it an original for sure. Your star quilt is awesome as well and I love the borders. Would like to see a picture of both quilts sometime, if possible :) Stay well and enjoy the warm summer months ...

Andrea @ From the Sol