Friday, January 27, 2023

My creative week part one.... table scraps!

 

the challenge was to make something with your scraps. I made a bedside table quilt with the rainbow scrap challenge color of the month, dark and bright blues. This is a bit darker than it might look here. 

 I was inspired to make a snowy blue table topper...

I started with my littlest scraps, building improv log cabins which became the center, then started surrounding those with different sized squares,. The largest were cut about 2.5". 


See??

til it was big enough... then trim it into a rectangle ready to quilt and bind
I put a snowy scrap around all sides, then quilted different lines according to my whim. Bound it on machine with a cute personally hand dyed turquoise and black fabric remnant....

til it looked like this and I put it on the end table

and although it was okay, to me it lacked any focus or sparkle. (despite the metallic quilting threads)

This was what I saw outside this month....I'm influenced by the seasons.

I looked in the fusible scrap box, found a square of glittery white fabric, cut a quick snowflake, fused it to the finished quilt, quilted it with free motion straight stitch and voila!


 

much better!!!! here it is in action... and it makes me smile. Can't ask more than that!!

thank you for the inspiration Joy and her party link is: 

https://thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com/2023/01/january-2023-abc-table-scraps-challenge.html

I'm working on my stay at home round robin block for this week, trying to fit a spool block into my spring quilt...I'll have to do a separate post on that Saturday. 

the center, which will soon have spools somewhere on it!

see the finished spool block in this post

 

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/ 





24 comments:

PaintedThread said...

What a wonderful scrappy project! Love the added snowflake.

grammajudyb said...

Boy did I need that inspiration piece. You checked all the boxes, with R= Retangular
C= Cobalt, or cyan colors
J= January-ness!!!:). (the snowflake)

I must make a table mat for my side of the bed!!!! Come on February!

Ivani said...

The snowflake added so much fun to your table topper. Great Job!

Helen said...

I am so drawn to this "improv" style. I'm going to have to give it a try one of these days.

Joanne said...

Added snowflake is just what this project needed !
I'm enjoying seeing how your round robin is taking shape this year !
hugs, take care,
Joanne

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fabulous entry for this month's ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge, LeeAnna!! That sparkly snowflake will help you remember this snowy January and it made a great focal point.

Sara said...

The snowflake was the perfect finish to your table topper. Can't wait to see what you add to your SAHRR block.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

You can never go wrong with blue, at least not IMHO. Beautiful quilt. And I love that the yard cupid is practically buried and there are no paw prints around it. The squirrels seem to love to make prints across fresh snow.

Kathleen said...

I love your bedside blue table quilt and the snowflake is a perfect addition to it. Nice use of scraps!

sonja said...

oh, i have a bit of that cobalt fabric with the orange cat dipping into the fishbowl... in my ancient stash! love it in your table topper, topped with a sparkle plenty snowflake.... that is so cool!
my fav approach to making wonky log cabin pieces using whatever scrap that is handy or near by. random can be so liberating to me.
thank you for showing how you make spoolish blocks too!
that works as a flower pot!!

Deb A said...

Love the addition of the snowflake to make it sparkle.

Helenchaffin said...

beautiful choices for your blues

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I love all the various small shapes and the colors are wonderful. x K

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Wow your work is wonderful. Blue is my favorite color along with my favorite symbol of a snowflake. Great job with the challenge. And you even got some cats in there too!
~Brenda

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Leeanna, the addition of the snowflake really makes it pop. I saw your SAHRR progress. It's wonderful. Have fun!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oooooh, such a lovely bedside table quilt, I love the pink accents, and the snowflake is the perfect last little touch ;)
Thanks so much for sharing your art, and linking up!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's so pretty with the all the blues and pops of other colors! Looks just perfect for your bedside table,too.

Annie said...

What a fun table mat this turned out to be. Colorful yet still mostly blue. I like the mix and your snowy theme for Winter. You’ll be able to make some for all the seasons to change them out.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

That snowflake is such a perfect accent! Looks lovely on your bedside table. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

Gillena Cox said...

Some really lovely quilts. The snowflake is gorgeous. Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday.

Much❤love

Karen's Korner said...

Great way to use up all those never ending scraps and end up with something pretty and practical.

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful quilts ~ love the shades of blues ~ all wonderful!

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Great idea to add the snowflake to your table topper. It gives the piece focus and a story.

Susie H said...

I love how you added the snowflake! Perfect addition!