Friday, January 6, 2023

my creative week Project quilting "one lone tree"

 

"one lone tree" 9.5" X 12"
I did a lot of sewing this week, but the one thing I want to share today is my Project Quilting challenge piece, finished in two days. The goal with this challenge is to make a quilt following the prompts, in one week. The prompt was the number 1.... this is a vista I often see since moving to Colorado, one lonely survivor tree and a big blue sky. 

I started by pulling little scraps of blues and laying them on peltex stabilizer overlapping them. For my RSC friends, I included a few bright blues. 

In the back of my mind I knew I wanted a very abstract landscape scene, considered painting it on fabric but like the texture of lots of tiny fraying strips and bits.

I picked brownish greens for the ground, and a leetle stip of some winter organic nature that made me think of water....


Starting with strips and color, and a concept of 1






I didn't glue or fuse anything, just started stitching it all to the peltex with sparkly lavender thread in the sky, and an organic variegated thicker thread on the ground....
needs a bit of white thread to integrate the bright blue

this is how the back looked after that

that's the stiff stabilizer and bobbin threads. Next add a backing fabric and quilt a bit more, 

detail shot

 

a vintage Debbie Mumm fabric


including appliqueing a tree, then stitch painting some branches.... you can see the frayed threads add texture, including the green ones under the branches, I just love how it came out! this is the source of my tree fabric

a halloween sky black fabric strategically cut to be tree bark
a detail shot you can click on to enlarge

this is where it lives now, in our entry hall

I wouldn't have made it if I hadn't taken on the challenge to interpret the number 1 at Project Quilting... and I just love it. 

linking to

Project Quilting

patchwork Sunday       

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/ 

 

 




29 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Excellent! It came out great. I'm still trying to finish mine in time!

Jeanna said...

That is a stunning piece of art. I love the way you have it displayed as well.

Sara said...

Wow! Very beautiful, and I was even more impressed when seeing how you have it displayed. A work of art!!!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Beautiful and it looks so good on display in your entry hall. It captures that lone tree on the horizon beautifully.

Michele McLaughlin said...

wow! that is gorgeous LeeAnna! I love it!

Joanne said...

That's so cool LeeAnna !
Thanks for showing the process :)
hugs, take care,
Joanne

MissPat said...

I have been so impressed with the creativity on display for the first week of Project Quilting. So many varied interpretations of the theme.
Pat

Nikki said...

Nice! Love the bits of cloud and birds you got in your sky. Clever fussy cutting!

Helen said...

Ok... now this... this is fabulous!
It's a painting, only done with fabrics and threads!
This has been bookmarked and will be revisited. I must try this! Hold me to it!
love, Love, LOVE!

Kathleen said...

You definitely achieved a painterly sky with your fabrics! Love your "one" tree for the one prompt. It is also displayed so well - a proper place of prominence for a lovely creation.

Ivani said...

Love it.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a great finish! I love the lone tree!

Bernie Kringel said...

Yikes! This is stunning!!!

PersimonDreams said...

This is beautiful and looks lovely in it's new home! Thanks for joining in the PQ fun!

Angela said...

I love this piece!

grammajudyb said...

Oh my it’s gorgeous, LeeAnna! I love the bits of cloud fabric and the birds in the upper corner. Fantastic interpretation of “One”!
I am going to try to participate in Project Quilting if I ever get home to my stuff! I sure love following along, even if I don’t participate’,

sue s said...

I've been following you for awhile but I think this is my first comment here. It's because I LOVE this piece!! I've made one improv landscape but would like to do more. This inspires me.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your lone tree is wonderful, I love it! Beautiful texture and use of unexpected fabrics!
Thank you so much for sharing and linking up!

Linda said...

Very beautiful, and it's perfect in your entry way. You must live in the prairie part of CO? Love the backing - going from the lone tree to the mountains!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Simply perfect! And it looks so lovely on that gorgeous stand in your entryway. Divine! I love seeing what everyone makes from the Project Quilting prompts. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss!

Kathe W. said...

WOW! Magical quilts!

Christine said...

Beautiful.

Gillena Cox said...

Nice Work. BRAVO!!!
Happy you linked to Art For Fun Friday

Much❤love

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fabulous PQ 14.1 entry, LeeAnn! I'm glad you decided to play along again this year. LOVE this tree quilt with the touches of a bright blue sky for your RSC friends!!

peppylady (Dora) said...

No sewing for this gal, but did some embroidering.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Claire said...

I hadn't registered size till the shot of the quilt in the entryway! It sounds like a fun challenge, and One Tree sure fits the theme.

Leanne Parsons said...

What a great interpretation of the prompt! I love your use of fabrics and the quilting gives it all so much texture.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is fabulous!!! What a great way to incorporate all the colors of a sky and the tree - it is just amazing!!!

Susie H said...

Nicely done!