Friday, January 20, 2023

my creative week... a start and a finish with some paint and beading!

 

14" X 14"
This is my offering for the challenge Project Quilting. We are given a prompt, this time "PINK" and given one week to make a quilt. (apologies for my poor photography skills this is very even and flat)

the idea started with a painting. It's textile paints on white muslin, some floral stencils over the petals, dashes of glittery shimmery paint come together to resemble a pink flower. A hibiscus in my mind. But how to turn this into a quilt.... 

after auditioning ways to set it, I decided that it's a piece of art, so I'll "mat" it with very sparkly white fabric, back it with lovely pink vintage fabric, and use peltex stabilizer then quilt lots of lines of lots of threads. 

Here I am showing you one way I organize a project for quilting. I use a drawer divider to keep stuff near but contained. Mylar and metallic thread, cotton hand dyed threads, different machine feet like walking foot, free motion foot, and quarter inch. Beads in both bugle bead shape, seed beads, rocaille beads. 

tried as I might, I couldn't photo the extreme shimmer and sparkle of this. Even the tiny binding fabric to represent a little metal frame, sparkles! You can see the blending of paints here. 

These close ups give you an idea of sparkle, blending, stenciling, free motion, threads...



I tried to bead some stamens and pollen heads in the center but the peltex was extremely difficult to bead through, not flexible at all. 


 

here it is displayed on a little easel on my dusty desk... don't judge! lol

and on our entry table. I don't have a name for it yet... but I wonder if Georgia O'Keeffe would like it?

and on to the start of something.... my SAHRR center

I'm doing the Stay-at-home-round-robin again this year. This little spring piece will be my center... 

I don't have a lot of spring or Easter quilts and with this snow on the ground it's fun to think about some flowers! 

recently I told you I learned a machine piecing technique for making hexies without pivoting or y-seam stress. I made these three with dark blue scraps because rainbow scrap challenge is to use that color this month.


I used a pattern to make the bunny in applique with several textured browns... how I love her! It pays to have a stash of cool fabrics from which to fussy cut sections.

the pattern source

Made the butterfly, fused it on a goddess sheet so it was one unit to audition onto backgrounds. When I saw it stuck on my design wall on the hexies I said, how fun! After much auditioning of backgrounds I allowed myself to cut that glorious daisy fabric at the bottom, and picked a subtle cloudy sky fabric. 

We will be adding rows according to weekly prompts so I just folded the edges under for the photo. 

I sewed the hexie unit onto the pieced background with a button hole stitch around the set of three. I will sew bunnie  and her friend down  later so they don't get messed up with all the rows to come. 

so there you go... a satisfying week in studio!

Linking to: 

Project quilting: https://kimlapacek.com/2023/01/14-2-pink-tint-challenge-2-of-project-quilting-season-14.html

SAHRR https://quiltinggail.com/

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/ 











30 comments:

PersimonDreams said...

absolutely stunning! Love it!

PaintedThread said...

Wow, I LOVE that flower! The bunny piece is pretty cute, too.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Wowza, LeeAnna! Both your creations. The pink flower, Georgia O’Keefe would’ve definitely love and want it.

Libby in TN said...

Great start on your SAHRR!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The flower has so much depth and sparkle; beautifully done!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi LeeAnna! Oh, I'm so glad you shared a closeup of your bunny. Wow - those fabrics are so cool. I'm glad you decided to play along with the SAHRR again this year. No stress is allowed! I look forward to seeing how this project blossoms. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Carla said...

Amazing! Your project quilting piece is so beautiful!

grammajudyb said...

Beautiful hibiscus flower! Peltex seems it would be impossible to bead through. You did good! Loving your starting center for SAHRR. I’m think of joining! We’ll see!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your PQ flower quilt is really pretty! I love that you painted it on fabric and then added sparkle with beads and thread. It really does look like a framed painting! Fun beginning for your SAHRR, too!

MissPat said...

Your Hibiscus piece is truly a work of art. I look forward to seeing where the bunny/hexie project takes you.
Pat

The Joyful Quilter said...

Spectacular work of art, LeeAnna! I know you will enjoy seeing your completed PQ14.2 every day. And... If you get tired to looking at it, just mail it to me!! :o))

Helen said...

I love this pink flower on so many levels!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh wow, your hibiscus is gorgeous! I love all the beads, threads you added. Pretty hexies too.
Thank you for sharing these beauties, and linking up!

Vicki in MN said...

Your flower piece is stunning, what a great entry for PQ14.2.

Sandra Walker said...

Wow your pink ‘is it a hibiscus’ piece is just gorgeous! I totally get what you mean by trying (and mostly failing) to capture the sparkle and shimmer of the metallic threads like Sulky. Really cool starting block for the SAHRR!

Kim said...

A very satisfying week in your creative studio! The hibiscus is a lovely piece with the vibrant paint colours, shimmer, beads and stitching. Such a sweet little bunny hopping near the hexies.

Laura K said...

Love your hibiscus and your SAHRR center! Will you tell us where to learn about sewing hexies without Y seams?

Sara said...

OK - I am judging! That piece is amazingly beautiful. Wow!! The bunny piece is awfully cute too. But the flower is stunning!

LA Paylor said...

the hexie method is taught by Gyleen Fitzgerald on The Quilt Show (I just did a post on that last week)
she is not going to be happy if I teach it again here.... sorry

sonja said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sonja said...

love the pinkly hibiscus abstract quilt painted. so pretty so pinkly!!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Very satisfying week indeed! Your project quilting quilt is so pretty. Love the beaded touches. That bunny in the center of your SAHRR is adorable! Thanks for sharing both on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

Susan said...

Your flower is absolutely lovely - you are a very talented artist!

Beth B said...

I am in awe of what went into creating your gorgeous flower; the outcome certainly justifies all the effort. And then the bunny, butterfly, and tree center are so different but still awesome. It should be interesting to see what happens next to it.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Beautiful flower quilt with all the shimmery beading and fabric! And the bunny -hexie quilt with the butterfly is perfect for Easter. Something sweet and cheerful while waiting for spring! xx K

Angela said...

Love that flower quilt! Gorgeous!

Cheryll said...

LoVe love lOVE the "flower" & the rabbit. So well done...
Thanks for joining in TGIFF... xox

Christine said...

Beautiful

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Stunning flower small quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your Project Quilting is Ah!Mazing!!!