Thursday, December 22, 2022

I Like Thursday # 329 ... traditions!

ornament love.... fancy dog

 welcome to this week's list of likes

starting with cold weather.... crazy cold of - 10 F. Good thing I like cold, but it rebounds in a few days back to mid 50's

Reading

I have enjoyed several audio books this week... well two of them bored me from the start and I returned them. The third one seemed slow and I nearly returned it until I remembered it was recommended by the author who's book I last loved....

 

I'm so glad I gave it a chance, I'm smitten with the characters.... wonderful women who all live in the same house.... become close friends, go on a road trip like I do road trips... stopping at every quirky ball of twine and giant sunflower painting along the slow road! Touching, humorous, life affirming

 Crocheting

yep, my santa hat is done! I had a skein of red yarn, the right size hook, and used to crochet ALL the time before I learned quilt making. It was so much fun... more on Saturday's post

Our prompt this week is traditions.... what are your Christmas, or Hanuka traditions around this time of year? 

My childhood traditions were to wake to a magical scene of gifts and sparkling tree, and being the youngest who's sisters were married by the time I was 6 or so, I was free to open what I wanted and play with things as long as the mother was there when I came into the living room. 

Before Christmas we always went downtown to tour the wonder bread factory, where they gave us each a tiny perfect loaf of soft freshly baked bread. Seems odd now but that's what we did. 

One year the city brought in snow to our part of Florida and I remember how weird it felt to my little hands and bare legs. 

Christmas Trees - State trees that encircle the National C… | Flickr

When DH and I moved to the Annapolis area of Maryland, we started a lot of traditions. His company required employees take the week off between Christmas and New years, so we went into DC several times to the Smithsonian museums, art galleries, and at night we went to tour the nation's Christmas trees sent from each state. It always felt so special with the lights, and our dog Cole loved going down and walking so much, seeing all the people and romping on the Mall. 

I've been to candlelight services before, even at the National cathedral. We always made time to have dinner in Baltimore's little Italy at Amici's and left with special cookies from Vaccaro's, walked around the harbor watching people and seeing the lights.There was a famous street in Hampden where we went to gawp at the displays in Baltimore too

HAMPDEN CHRISTMAS STREET HOLIDAY SHOW - 179 Photos & 55 Reviews - 700 W  34th St, Baltimore, MD - Yelp

I miss it.... we must still be away from people because of risk, here in CO. We never made a tradition here, and do not feel like we fit in at all. I guess if we do anything it's watch movies and binge watch shows, eat too many cookies, drink more wine and beer, and maybe this year home made Baileys. 

 

loved this quote on my Cup of Jo newsletter, which is awesome by the way. Here's a list of the funniest scenes from shows: https://cupofjo.com/2022/01/11/what-comedy-scenes-do-you-love/

when I started feeling the drag of winter, I began to treat myself like a favored child: with kindness and love. I assumed my needs were reasonable and that my feelings were signals of something important.” — Katherine May

Watching on youtube

Please watch this wonderful video.... wish our family was as well behaved...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhg7Xm4FXAY
 

feel lonely during the holidays? I loved this video and if you click on "show more" before the comment section she has movies books and a youtube playlist for entertaining yourself when you feel left out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odsoJbA3gCY

Milo's Moments

Milo here.... yes I'm the poor poodle who has to wear a crooked coat Mama made without a pattern. This is her hidey hole... where she spends a lot of time. I come in to nudge her to come outside and enjoy throwing a ball and chasing me around. Sometimes she actually listens to me. On this day I came in and whoa!!! things had been moved. I notice those things! 

Mama: yes I'm working on an enormous quilt, and Daddy moved my machine so I could use the cabinet 

Milo: well, I can't believe you let him touch it, you don't let me touch anything in here!

Mama: well, he seldom eats anything in here, or licks it, or shakes snot on it.

Milo: yes, I have to teach him how to enjoy life more! 

now please visit these fine folks to read about their traditions and happy lists. Please let me know if you wrote a post I can add in the link...





19 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good morning, LeeAnna and Milo! Merry merry Christmas to you both. I hope it warms up a bit. The bitter cold is headed our way after a snowstorm hits first. I also hope that DH is a slow learner as to how to get snot on everything in your sewing space. HAHA! {{Hugs}} a bunch! ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Brrr! It's a cold one this morning! I will be happy when the 50s come back. At least it is good sewing and cookie baking weather. Hope your quilt-as-you-go is going well on your bigger quilt! Milo, no snot on Mama's quilts!

Sara said...

Brrr! Here too! The wind chill is -47 currently. The air inside our insulated garage hurt my face this morning when I stepped out with some recycling. But I have no where to go - outside today.

Can't wait to see how that quilt turns out. Looking great so far!!

grammajudyb said...

Love seeing you process on the Christmas quilt. There will be a time, sooner rather than later that I will have to stop wrestling with big quilts. Thank you for giving yourself the grace to be less than perfect and for sharing that with us. It’s a lesson we all need to learn. We are our own worst critic at times! I just read your last Saturday post about binding the finished quilt . Have you ever checked out Linda’s post at Flourishing Palms? She has a technique making the mitered corners individually! https://flourishingpalms.blogspot.com/. It’s on her sidebar under tutorials. She calls it No Tails Binding. Just FYI!

Angela said...

Oh, yes to candlelight services! It has been a while since we have done that as the grandkids need to get to bed. So we both came into this world a while after or nearest sibling! Mine is only five years older than me though.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Darling ornament, LeeAnna! Thanks for sharing your holiday traditions with us and enjoy that homemade Bailey's! Best of luck teaching an old dog new tricks, Milo. The Daddy probably won't be up to learning how to make the Mama mad... just sayin'! :P

Cloudia said...

I dig that stylish dog!



Cloudia said...

Yes, it is difficult to move away from our roots. The 3 and 1/2 years I spent in Northern California were beautiful but felt empty and I'm so glad I'm back home and honolulu! I hope you are current home grows more beautiful than you expect and that you have wonderful holidays filled with magic and happiness!

Susie H said...

Your Baltimore traditions sound fun. See if you can find an Italian section in your area and start a new tradition. Merry Christmas!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those are some fun Christmas traditions. There was a bread factory where I grew up too and oh the smell of fresh baked bread was wonderful. I always enjoyed going to Baltimore when the McCormick factory was still there, the smell of cinnamon in the mornings sure filed the harbor and made everyone instantly hungry for breakfast. Milo, keep those paws warm! Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

It looks like you had a great week! Thank you for linking up with us today for Thankful Thursday! I used to love Elizabeth Berg books...this one that you just read sounds so good. I'm going to check to see if I can get that through my Libby app. Thanks for sharing! I hope you and yours have a wonderful and merry Christmas!

PaintedThread said...

That ornament is a hoot!! You've had some nice traditions. That freshpet video is hilarious.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Looking forward to seeing your crocheted hat! Love the pig ornament and Milo's comments. Scout gets bored in the sewing room and only comes up for a snack or to bug me to go outside. I'm so sorry the weather is dreadful there. It's on the way here now. I miss driving around to see the holiday decorations--it's difficult for us to drive at night. Wishing you the happiest of holidays dear friend. Merry Christmas!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful and creative post and photos ~ Milo ~ you 'steal the show' ~ sweet photos of you ~ Xo

Wishing you Happy Holidays, good health and laughter,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Annie said...

I love reading your posts and Milos latest news. My most favourite tradition is to hang all our memories on the Christmas tree....it includes hanging several knitted Santa’s on the tree that my mum knitted...they were all knitted using the same pattern but all are quite different. Happy happy memories.
Hope you make lots of special memories this Christmas.
Hugs,
Annie x

Su-sieee! Mac said...

A red crocheted cap, I like the sound of that cheerfulness. Since Mama died 6 years ago, I haven’t been much into Christmas traditions. I’m sure the wanting to do the pixie dust and love of Christmas around Christmas will come back one year with a vengeance. It has before. 🙃 Merry Cheer, LeeAnna!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your traditions in Maryland. They sound so fun. I hope you can find some new tradition in your new area. Have a very Merry Christmas! Much love to you!

Shepherdess55 said...

Merry Christmas!
Wishing you all the best in 2023.

Angie said...

LeeAnna - belated Merry Christmas! I did post for I Like Thursday, but in the final rush before our son arrived, I forgot to tell you!

You have wonderful memories and traditions from Maryland - I hope you are able (soon) to create new ones in Colorado!

Hoping the New Year brings you much joy!