Saturday, December 24, 2022

My creative week, hat's off to you! Bound for a finish next week ( hopefully)

 

Ho Ho Ho.... mama made us Christmas caps! I don't like my ears touched but love her!

well, y'all it's something, right? I followed a pattern,(originally found at (https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/ )found yarn in the stash, the right size hooks and finished something!

https://traversebaycrochet.com/2020/12/19/crochet-family-santa-hat/


 DH's hat was made with green yarn, with some stripes to make the green go farther. I used some "wool ease" because it was worsted weight and wool should be warm except crochet leaves big holes compared to knitting. 


 I have crocheted since I taught myself from a book in college. 

I love the ease and speed of it, so this was fun, and I learned a new stitch. I admit I didn't love the instructions on this pattern but am grateful it was free. I ended up watching a youtube tutorial on the crochet bead stitch and that made it easy. 

it's a neat edge treatment






I used a smaller hook to make this one and it fits better
a cup of green tea, a quilted border with binding ready, and a hat

I continuously worked on the bed sized Christmas quilt this week but sadly didn't reach the goal of finishing it.... I developed ways to make it, and am on my way to a finish though.

the quilted block sections sewn together before borders went on, just to give you an idea of the fun back!

Since I quilted the whole thing in sections I could use stash fabrics for backing, it's fun I think. 

top stitch binding to back, so that stitching falls next to the binding onto border fabric on front

 

the steps to making the borders is to piece fabric for top and backing, sandwich these with the three layers meeting exactly along the edge to be bound, quilting it all, putting on the binding and sewing that down to the back leaving tails to be joined in the final hooray

hand sewing the flap to cover seam on back after adding two quilted sections

 

sew the finished border to one side of the quilt with a quarter inch seam, keeping that flap out of the way for covering the seam by hand

clip sections together, move flap out of way, to sew the quarter inch seam

 

doing all that times four

then the last part will be joining the binding strips. 

I have two borders finished, on the quilt, hand work done to cover the joining seam

I love that I don't have to wrestle the whole thing at the end to add binding. The hand sewing takes about 4 times longer to do than I thought it would, the borders finish at 6" wide and they are bulky to hold while sewing that final flap in place.

I am now going into the white triangles around the edge, and quilting a double line of stitching on them, so that's a lot of stop and start and wrestling but then I think it's going to be ready to share finally. 


ready to add the next border, then handwork to cover seam, then join binding

I know few people want to see a Christmas quilt after Christmas, but this has been a journey and I need to share it with y'all. The original blocks, were started as octagons last year, with special fabrics, then scraps sewn to them pineapple style til I got a big 12 in block. This year I thought I left enough time to finish it but it's worn me out! 

Still, I love it! 

I've used my fabrics, I'm going to enjoy seeing them used. It is large enough to display on the King sized bed, but take it off before Milo gets his paws on it!

saw this colorful board game on amazon.... good game for quilt groups

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B084D2XQ9F?ref=em_1p_4_im&ref_=pe_27541400_690344200&th=1

linking with:

patchwork Sunday       

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

 slow stitching Sundays        
https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/ 


19 comments:

Sara said...

I love how your Christmas quilt is coming together. The quilt-as-you-go technique is a perfect way to make the quilting easier. Christmas lasts until after New Years for us this year so it’s just fine to keep seeing Christmas quilts.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

The caps are cute, cute, cute. The reds are verily fetching on you and Milo, LA and DH’s, with the different colors looks complicated. You almost almost have me wanting to give crochet a try. Mama was a bigtime crocheter, doilies, tablecloths, bedspreads in complicated patterns. It must’ve been calming for her to do. Never thought if it like that before. Merry, merry!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Love the hats, so pretty! Happy Christmas Eve and Merry Christmas from all of us!

Gillena Cox said...

Merry Christmas Lee Ann
Link to my 12 Days of Christmas HERE

MUCH🎄LOVE

Molly the Airedale said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family and to Milo too, LeeAnn. You are such a gifted artist!

Susie H said...

Merry Christmas to you, DH, and Milo. Love the Christmas Pineapple quilt and am so looking forward to seeing it displayed on the bed!!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Those Christmas caps are fun and festive. Perfect adornment for the holiday. Hand sewing seems to take longer and longer these days. Still it is worth the effort. The candy cane stripes of your binding are the perfect surround for the quilt.

Kathy said...

That's a beautiful Christmas quilt! Glad you were able to persevere. It will be such a victory when you can see it on that bed! Merry Christmas!

PaintedThread said...

I love the hats. Merry Christmas!

Helen said...

I love these hats. Just in time!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Merry Christmas! Love your hats - we need a family portrait with everyone in their hats! I think your quilt is lovely, and would never mind seeing a Christmas quilt finish after Christmas. Have a wonderful day!

MissPat said...

Cute hats. I'm surprised Milo was willing to wear it. It's never too late to see a beautiful, hand-made Christmas quilt. Good for you for trying the QAYG method to accomplish it, although it looks complicated. Merry Christmas to you, Drew and Milo.
Pat

grammajudyb said...

I, for one, am looking forward to “the rest of the quilt story”! It’s fabulous! Cute hats for you three! Hope your holiday was merry and your New Year is bright! Looking forward to staying in touch in 2023!

Norma Schlager said...

Your Christmas quilt is so festive and would like to see the finished product anytime. Santa hats are so cute. Merry Christmas!

Kathleen said...

I love your Christmas hats - so fun! The Christmas quilt is a knockout and I say you enjoy it when it is done, no matter the season. I know you can't put if on the bed due to a certain 4-paw fellow, but it is so gorgeous. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas and are able to celebrate the new year coming. Am recuperating from family time; I hope to feel more normal tomorrow!

Sandy said...

Christmas hats are cute! Yeah for getting so far with your Christmas Quilt. It turned out very nice indeed. Hope you had a lovely Christmas and stayed warm and healthy.
Sandy's Space

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Love seing you in a photo ! Looks like Christmas was fun !
The 12 days of Christmas follow Christmas so you have loads of time to share as much Christmas as you want :) and whenever you wish to do so :)


hugs, take care,
Joanne

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Such a lovely quilt! I'm so excited that you are nearing the finish line. Please share the finish even if it's after Christmas! For me, Christmas is year round. Thanks for sharing your work on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your hats are very cute! and wonderful Christmas quilts!