Thursday, November 10, 2022

I Like Thursday # 323 apple cider, quilts, shows and books


Welcome to this week's list of likes! It's good to remember the little things one liked during the week

How about that time change? Adjusted yet? Sure is dark early, the good news? someone in our neighborhood already put up and turned on their Christmas lights....oy, not even Thanksgiving yet

I like hanging quilts up during holidays... this one was made a few years ago...

and hangs at the foot of the stairwell so we see it a lot

this one is now in the family room instead of the Halloween owls

I'm working on a mantle quilt this week and having fun.... I had to hang what I have on the mantle with painter's tape to see how it would look, I'll show the whole thing when it's finished!

A friend sent some travel pics that I'm working on to do a painting... maybe by Saturday's art post? 

I talked to two friends on Tuesday, and it really lifted my spirits... thank you to Cindy and Diane!

 Watching on TV

we were forced into needing new phones, and since my old one was about 10 years old and I keep them long as I can, we both got i-phones, slightly older versions on the "deal" with xfinity. We are now paying less than before but I am not enjoying the learning curve. They gave us 3 free months of Apple tv with the deal so we just signed up. 

Any suggestions for shows we might like? 

regular tv is stale at the moment. We are watching episodes of the Great British Baking show, French Chateau DIY where people fix up ancient buildings, Survivor and the Amazing Race, Miss Scarlett and the duke, finished The Chair (only one season so far) and started the current season of My Life is Murder set in NZ with Lucy Lawless as the mystery solver. So good! 

Good Ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icCUaCfrkMA

for doggie nail clipping. How we'd lift the 65 lb poodle I'm less sure of

I'm enjoying the recap and strategy discussion of Survivor and Amazing Race by Rob  Cesternino. He reviews several shows... since I am writing this on Wed night, this is from last week's episode of survivor. He always has different guests and even interviews those voted off. I love to hear back stories of Amazing Race on his shows.

his guests are smart and funny.

reading

just finished hearing a wonderful book... magical, lyrical, great characters, mystery too

 

I liked the author so I'm now reading another one of her books on Ebook. Finally finished Donut Disturb by Ellie Alexander (loved it!)

 Donut Disturb - Alexander, Ellie

 and now reading on Ebook:

currently listening to the next in Bay series (love the black standard poodle playing a big role) mystery about a would be author (I relate) and her friends living in coastal town of NC solving mysteries

the prompt this week is Apple Cider.... 

I have such grand memories of driving through New England in Fall and stopping at roadside stands for apple cider donuts! I like drinking hot apple cider with some rum in it at the Red Lion Inn in Mass. I have tried countless recipes using simmered down apple cider so it's more intense and never had an apple flavor in any of the recipes I made so... sad to say I'm just gonna have to drink mine!

love the silicon rolling sheet, modern rolling pin and dough scraper
 

 That said, I tried a new recipe, for pumpkin biscuits. 

lovely crispy on outside, tender inside, made a good breakfast with turkey sausage and a bit of maple syrup

 I wouldn't have thought of it if not for my friend Diane in Texas (who lives with a white standard poodle Danny) who said she was going to make some. 

I looked up a recipe, and tried this one with the help of my husband to do the "crumb" mixing of cold butter and flour. We thinly sliced the butter and first used the whisk to crumb it, then fingers. Add in the buttermilk mixed with pumpkin, manhandled it into dough form, then rolled out into a rectangle.  

After that I looked at the yield, 6 biscuits! Only six?? that's kind of a lot of dough.... oh roll into 1 inch thick. Note to self: one might read the recipe twice to catch all the info... I didn't want to fool with round cutters, so I used my bowl scraper to divide into 6 square biscuits and into the oven on a silicon sheet

6 BIG biscuits baking

Recipe here:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pumpkin-patch-biscuits/print/

Also put in the time to make eggplant parm this week. We peel and slice the eggplant, salt and let them drain in a colander for half hour. Then rinse, dry, coat in egg white, and a mix of bread crumbs, bake alone for 25 min. Then make the casserole with layers of sauce, eggplant, cottage cheese with parsley, various cheese, sauteed onion/pepper/mushrooms, over and over and bake. I was able to freeze half the pre baked rounds for another parm later, saving time.

very tasty...

 Milo's Moment

Milo here.... taking a teeny little nap because I feel drugged

Mama: you are. We gave you a benedryl to help with the ear which came from allergies

Milo: well after the nap I'm gonna move furniture around again!

Mama: yesssss Milo, what's that about? Lately you come in from out back, grab your bed and move it around the room, abandon it then grab a toy to play with.

Milo:that's MR. Milo to you since I'm now an interior decorator! 

Mama: then you come back to where your bed was, next to Mama's chair, to lie down and have to lie on the carpet alone since you don't like the new bed location. 

Milo: well, what artist knows exactly what to do the first time? hmmm?


please sit a spell and visit these folk to see their list of good things 

new to our merrie band this week is: 

     https://wordweaverart.blogspot.com/  please welcome her to our group



 

 


23 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

we still have food chaos after the time change... we hope if there is a contant time, it will be the dog-stomach-time...

Helen said...

Apple tv+ recommendation... Ted Lasso... Super salty language, but wonderful characters and story.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving quilts are so fun! Love the one you're working on with the acorn and flying geese. We really liked My Life is Murder - wish they would make another season. Pumpkin biscuits sound yummy - have not thought to try that before! Happy Thursday!

Sara said...

The quilt with HOME on it is especially cute, and the new one you are working on for the mantle looks good so far.

Square biscuits taste just as wonderful as the round ones. LOL I hosted 3 friends for card playing yesterday and we had hot apple cider - with orange slices, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, and a splash of orange juice and cranberry juice. Yum!! My husband drank the last of it with supper.

Cloudia said...

You have a very busy, wonderful life!
https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2022/11/new-moment.html?m=0

Sandee said...

You do beautiful work and I love your fall colors.

Those biscuits look amazing. Made my mouth water.

It's always good to see Milo. So he loves to move his furniture around. Cute.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. Scritches and pawkisses to Milo. ♥

piecefulwendy said...

A new season of The Crown is out, so I'm going to watch that. The time change, oy. The other day I thought it was 4:30 and it was only 2:30 - it's been so dark and gloomy here, so that's really messin' with my body adjusting to everything. Naps are nice, though!

Michelle said...

Mostly adjusted to the time change, but could do without it! lol We have been watching Murders in the Building and Reservation Dogs. I need to get back into reading, but I get too tired after work! Thanks for linking up.

Miaismine said...

Except for being surprised at how early it gets dark, the time change doesn’t really affect me, thank God! I SO agree with you! Let’s not let Thanksgiving and gratitude get overrun by Christmas please.
Ooooo, your quilt looks so southwest/Native American! Beautiful with a sweet message! What a pretty mantle WIP.
As far as TV, I just finished The Last Tango in Halifax (Netflix). It was a lite family drama perfect while sewing.
OH! Donut Disturb looks…delicious! How fun is that cover on Men, Money and Chocolate? 😊
I’ve never heard of apple cider donuts, but they sound delicious!
Awww, hope Milo is feeling better!

Angela said...

I second Helen's recommendation of Ted Lasso. I really enjoyed it!

grammajudyb said...

Pumpkin biscuits, great idea! Apple cider donuts here, probably not as good as apple cider donuts in the northeast! But you take what you can get!
Apple TV…yes on Ted Lasso and we liked For All Mankind. Also, Tehran. It’s an older one, but espionage thriller!

DD and I are watching Only the Murders in the Building….not Mr Busy though. He’s not a Martin Short fan! :) we have it on Hulu.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi LeeAnna! I apologize for ignoring the lovely prompts you've been sharing. I'll get back into the swing shortly. You've shared lovely holiday quilts. I especially love the HOME one. I love home! Thanks for sharing the link to Rob's recap. I didn't realize it was out there!! I can't wait to read Dress Shop! My library has it available. Poor Milo, needing Benadryl. I can relate though! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Brian's Home Blog said...

We're not liking the time change, the coyotes are out earlier which means our ferals risk being dinner. You've sure got lots of pretty things here today and those biscuits sure look good. Hey Milo, I sure hope you ear is better soon, I really do. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I love you, Milo.

LA, your adventures with baking has me thinking that I really ought to get the oven fixed. I’m missing home baked biscuits. No list today from me. My post turned into a ramble of sorting sorts. Until later.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi what a great post of likes as always. I'm ready for lunch now so your biscuits made me really hungry. I bet they were tasty. Those hangings look beautiful and I didn't know that Milo wanted to be an interior designer. That's news! We really enjoyed Bad Sisters on Apple and I've been watching a season of Alone but I'm not sure where that is to be found.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Post 323 ! that's more that 6 years of I like Thursdays !
What a great way to encourage us all !
Hugs, take care,
Joanne

PaintedThread said...

I will have to check out My Life is Murder. We're enjoying Magpie Murders. I feel for you with the phone learning curve. Good luck with that (even my mother is liking some of the perks of a smartphone). That nail clipping harness is a hoot (we basically do the same with guinea pigs). Pumpkin biscuits sounds good!

Ann said...

I'm watching Magpie Murders although I'm behind. The harness made me laugh. I'll send the photo to my sister.
Thanks for the book suggestions, too.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Such a great post although it made me hungry! I don't mind the time change except for the early nights. I hope Milo is better soon.

Annie said...

I'm late calling by this week but I've made it at last. Your autumn quilts are gorgeous...I really love all the autumn colours of the trees around us at the mo [but not so much when they drop to the floor and need sweeping up].
Hugs,
Annie x

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing those Autumn quilts, LeeAnna! Those are two of my favorites. The pumpkin biscuits sound interesting. MUST give them a try... Pumpkin EVERYTHING!!! :o))

Angie said...

LeeAnna - I broke down and ordered a new computer this week - not looking forward to the set-up, etc., but I didn't feel that I had a choice when every other day I was ready to throw the thing out the window. For example, the "e" key is not working - I have to copy and paste "e" every time. Do you know how many words have an "e"? This must be the week for pumpkin recipes - love it! Apple cider - hot with brandy!!!

Kathleen said...

I see someone recommended Ted Lasso - its a riot. I started watching Criminal which is on Netflix - in 4 countries. I liked the English version, less thrilled with the other countries. The investigators are in the same 2 rooms and hall. Sorry that Milo has an ear infection but it seems he is enjoying redecorating. Love your auditioning on the mantle!