Saturday, November 19, 2022

My creative week.... workshops, learning, and sewing

 

welcome to this week's creativity round-up!  I signed up for three workshops of varying demands for this week, how did that happen... the reason I sign up for these free online workshops is you never know what you'll learn in them. For instance, the fabric hanging bucket above came from day one on Rebecca Page's Christmas crafts workshop. 

the back of the folded hanging container

I didn't end up making any others of the 41 projects on offer, but I did print out the patterns for several

that look like things I'd like. Back to the container....I made two actually. The one out of mary englebreit fabric is the smallest size, and this is the largest 

since I thought it was to be for Christmas, I got out my bag of Christmas print strips to use

instructor Katy McKinley

sewing them together to fit the pattern piece, had just the right size fusible batting for it, then quilted it while it was open, with of course sparkly mylar threads....

you sew a side seam, and a bottom seam, fold it to stitch across the last two bottom seams

finishing off the outside... sew the lining into a bag too, tuck one into the other...

sew across the top leaving a place to turn it right sides out, inserting a hang tab. I think it would be good for my winter knitting projects by my chair

you could fold the top down like a sock

the pattern was only available in the workshop I think... and came with four sizes, I like that it has a square bottom and sits up usefully. Like I said, I watched the other videos but haven't made the projects. 

the collage workshop was a bust but I watched the available videos. Not everyone is good at these. 

the third workshop through Strathmore,(LINK) drops a video once a week and was excellent! Free too.

I did try to start quilting the big kaleidoscope quilt top from last fall:

All the seams, plus warm and natural batting made it so heavy and cumbersome it set off my shoulder blade injury so I had to stop after doing a couple rounds of straight line quilting to lock it in.

Moving on to the color of the month, neutral... I finished up putting setting strips in tan/beige around the acorns. I kept them in two sections to make quilting easier, and will join them after that is done, and reveal the finished project for Table Scraps next week if all goes well. the finished tops are 10" X 33" and 10" X 37"

but the acorns are made of 1" squares, and the improv geese even smaller... see?

Table scraps challenge is to use scraps to make something "mini" and use the RSC color of the month, which is brown/neutrals

a few months ago, I started doing little hexies in the scrap color of the month to have a hand project to work on in front of the tv

I'm doing them in diamond shapes, in that month's color, three are now done, orange, purple/green, and 

Brown!

and I'm starting with my 2" squares of neutral with prints....

I like the illustrator, Joanna Basford and get her newsletters. She sent a link to her free coloring advent calendar this month...

and the images are Saaaaa-weet! One could blow them up for their kids, or do them yourself with colored pencils.... sign up for her newsletter and she sends out notices and free things every other month or three.  Lots of ornaments to make on youtube tutorials... go finding.... but for now... we're officially starting the holidays and happy Thanksgiving ....

happy Arting y'all

patchwork Sunday    

 slow stitching Sundays                

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 





14 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Cool projects all around!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm not a Mary Englebreit fan, but that wee hanging bucket is SEW cute!!! Sorry the Autumn quilt hurt your old injury, LeeAnna. SEW looking forward to seeing your completed Acorn runner!

My name is Erika. said...

Isn't it funny how we like some projects and not others? I don't mean funny ha-ha, but more how we can have a lots to chose from and what I may chose and what you may chose wouldn't be the same.I think that is such an interesting thing about art, and one of the most interesting. It would be pretty boring otherwise. I like your hexies. The autumn colored ones look so beautiful together. Hope all is well. hugs-Erika

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh I love this Christmas basket! And the acorns are pretty all sewn up together. Sorry about your shoulder, and for sure hexies are a lighter project to work on. They look pretty!
Thank you for sharing your busy week, and linking up.

Kathleen said...

Your Christmas baskets are great. I thought I signed up for the embroidery getaway but I didn't. Not doing to well keeping up with my classes but I do want to do the embroidery getaway. I think I can still sign up - and it is open to February - and Jan/Feb are good for classes, I think. Love to see all the projects you are up to!

Kim said...

There is always a lot of fabulous stitching activity in your home. The Christmas baskets are such a clever idea and they look fabulous too. Goodness those improv geese are tiny! Cute acorns.

Helen said...

It always amazes and impresses me when you quilter-girls are able to be so precise with putting such tiny pieces together. I look forward to seeing the acorn one completed.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, I love the Mary Engelbreit fabric bucket - I love anything 1930's - it is my favorite era. The larger bucket is perfect for knitting - they both came out so cute! The acorn quilt is perfect for fall and all the hexie quilts are sweet. You really have been busy! I'm always impressed with your amazing creativity! xx K

Joanne said...

Fun stuff LeeAnna !
All those small pieces ! So glad you have a hand or finger in the photo !
hugs, take care,
Joanne

Fairy Qu33n said...

Hello! I'm Queen from Italy. I'm trying to learn Quilt and Patchwork and I'm just a the beginner. Your works are beautiful Art 😍😍😍

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the little acorn project with the tiny flying geese!
And the hexies.... total swoon!

CathieJ said...

I love all of you quilty items. Thanks for turning me on to Joanna Basford. Her illustrations are wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sara said...

Those little containers are so cute! I took some hexies with me for hand stitching on our trip, but never even opened the bag. Yours have reminded me that bag is in the bottom of my carry-on yet.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your Christmas bags are cute...wished I could have watched the video and gotten the patterns. oh well, maybe next time!