Saturday, November 12, 2022

My creative week two blocks and lots of acorns

do you recognize what this is???

You know how some weeks are really productive in a showy way and some weeks are back stage work?

I'd say this was a creative week of back stage work for me.... I worked a lot on a project I can't share til next week but have a couple things to show you... I shared 3 quilts on Thursday's post, you might like to go see them... HERE
 Let's start this show.....

I was thinking to try an embroidery technique of writing with stitches and put this together from the solid scrap fabric bag...

but it was kind of small. As a tiny art piece I like it like it is... sort of doorways. I'd love an artist critique on it actually... what do you see or notice. I love the little pink bit at the bottom and the one darker gray line above it. Colors remind me of the pretty pins my friend Cindy sent me

the card they are on is special too!
I've been making one star block a month in the RSC colors here...

the free pattern is available at AQS from Gylene Fitzgerald. The colors this month are ambiguous.... neutrals or your choice. I made two, one for this month and one for next while I was at it.

I've been making them from my reproduction feedsack fabric stash, so old but love the tiny prints, and they are often pastel. I am limited by my stash choices too. I chose black and purple as my neutrals

and a red/gold combo thinking to insert some color temp variation

These blocks are challenging to sew with odd set-in angles. I have to cut them with templates, mark with pen the pivot points, and hit them exactly

you can see the dots
you sew  the center section, be careful of those bias edges, then insert the corners

and hope they fit back together perfectly

and the block lays flat. Here are all 12 I just need to decide whether to sew them directly next to each other or try to sash them. And then what kind of border would suit it???  If I accent the circular feel, I'll sew them directly to each other, which I think I'll do.

trouble is that gold red one is too intense. Back to the stash for another choice. I still think it needs more warm color tones

Most of my week was spent making 8 tiny acorn blocks that finish at 6"...

testing on the mantle that it's made for

and 7 itsy bitsy improvisational flying geese units

made from brown (another neutral) scraps and tan/cream colored scraps. Then set with curves following the geese lines...and inserted between the acorn blocks.

Small work takes longer than big blocks but it's so satisfying on the mantel. I hope to reveal the finished project next week for Table Scraps Mini prompt. 

I'll leave you with another old quilt, made in the late 90's. It is about 30" square I think... and I made felt pieces for a face to stick on there for Halloween, then pull them off to enjoy it til Thanksgiving

I put three dimensional leaves with wire in them, and a tendril with wire, that add interest along with the pretty orange metallic thread work to quilt it

no paintings this week, but a workshop starts on Monday to create little art cards.  

happy Arting y'all

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 








11 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, those Acorns and Geese... LOVE them SEW much, LeeAnna!!! Off to check out your Thursday post, too...

Helen said...

You asked about the little doorways piece. This is what I notice. My eyes dance around searching for a pattern, not finding a pattern, dancing across and top to bottom again. I love that there's no repeated pattern of colors or sizes, so much more interest to keep looking at. Also... purple and turquoise... ahhh... always perfect combination!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those stars make a pretty design! I'm really drawn to your acorn project, too. Lovely, warm browns are so appealing this time of year!

Erin the Cat Princess said...

Such a plain title that belies the sheer skill and patience involved in your labours of love. The pleasure in seeing and using a finished quilt over the following years must be immense.
A most fruitful and pleasing week to share, thank you.
ERin

sonja said...

love those stars of retro prints a lot! i have some repro fabrics for making baby quilts and also a stash of really old fabrics. you inspire me to dig them out and give it a whirl! liking the modern look of your square and yes it does appear to be a portal...
And i am thankful for your creative posts. shine on !!

Susie H said...

Great idea of removable face for Jack so the pumpkin can be enjoyed for Thanksgiving. Your star blocks are really pretty. I would never try piecing them, way too difficult for my ability. They would be all catty-wompus! Haha!

Kaja said...

Your little doorway - I especially like the two red bits: one horizontal at the top of what my eye sees as the grey door and one, with the purple tip, dropping down from it on the right hand side. It's a portal - could lead anywhere!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

love the warm browns in the acorn project! another great use of 16 patches!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely stars, and matching points, well done! Pretty corns and flying geese ;)
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like your pretty little doorways piece - everywhere you look you see a new color! What a fun week you had

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Wow those star blocks are so curvy and you've simply mastered them! So beautiful. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.