Saturday, November 5, 2022

my creative week.... a finish, a painting, fabric acorns and two collaborations

 

a finish! table runner close up  12" X 35"
Welcome to this week's creativity round-up... a painting collaboration, a quilting collaboration, and following a pattern (difficult for me!) 

Let's start with the painting....

my friend at https://canadianneedlenana.blogspot.com/ takes spectacular photos of nature, this week she shared a pic of a junco which inspired me to try to draw then paint it...

I was struck by the blue mixed with black and white, and the little sparkling eyes. 

What inspires you to make art from nature? There's always something... how to capture the light on a feather, or texture, a color like metallic blue. You can's see this but I put iridescent paint on the head. For me drawing is challenging, which makes me really look at details. 

Then again, I simplified the background even blurring the rocks I drew in originally. I quite like how the leaves and grasses look here, and the wee legs, his head tilt. Thank you Jocelyn! 

 Back to sewing... and back to my studio happy space. I finished another piece from the scraps sent to me from Jan at The Colorful Fabriholic. She made a kaleidoscope quilt, which leaves many scraps cut into weird angles. She sent me those, and I've made 4 items from them and still have strips left!

She chose the fabrics, meaning color and textures, and I put the bits back together in fresh ways. 

to me it's similar to a project runway show challenge... what can you make with "this"?

or a puzzle which I have always enjoyed 

I had enough to make almost enough 60 degree diamonds to do a whole pattern. But since I didn't have enough, I made it work. 

I wonder if maybe I like it better for having to piece together something into almost a pattern. 

Like is a deviation from order actually more interesting?


 

 

 it's all quilted with metallic copper, green and purple mylar threads. Use size 90 metallica needle. It shimmers when the light catches it!

on wall hangings or table runners I like to use up less liked backing fabrics. Usually I find after using them they really are pretty too, like this sage green with botanical print...
 


 I had to fuss with the black binding to get those angles to miter, but it ties it all together, and it looks good on the table. 

I like it but wonder would I feel funny giving it as a gift when the blocks are pieced together this way?

would people mistakenly think I made mistakes, when I just made something different?

 this is on the design wall and you can see the upcoming RSC project of little acorns and free form geese from cut off triangles. I went from quilting and finishing to fussing with tiny pieces. These blocks finish at 6"!!!! You can see how small the geese pieces are if they are the cut away triangles from 1.5" half square triangle piecing!

see my finger?

the color of the month at RSC is brown/black. Okayyyyyy

I liked the free acorn block made with scrappy 1.5" squares and thought, that would be cute hanging from the mantle

the link is here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nAhTUdb_AHvi5UMrHhuKL-_kuPm8iADO/view

 so into the brown bin I went. It was overflowing.... but then it was a massive tangle of scraps. Once I got in there and sorted them by strip/size/angle they all fit back into the bin easily and I had a lot of pretty pieces to choose from. 


 

I went into my stash for background fabric and decided to use tan/cream colored with different patterns, which I seldom use. I even had some strips in the scrap bin in tan so I sorted til I found ones to cut to size. 

I started this on Thursday, when it turned colder  and felt Fall like. So far an afternoon of choices and making turned out 4 acorns and two geese units... 

I also did two new blocks I'll share next week, in brown, then black which completes those for this year's Rainbow scrap challenge colors.

I have two upcoming free workshops that are both new to me... one is: Deck of Dreams 5-day event

I'll let you know how they are.


linking with

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 



18 comments:

Sara said...

The bird painting is very cute. We actually had a blue jay at the feeder a couple of weeks ago, which is unusual here. That acorn block will be adorable. And you can't beat orange paired with purples or blues. Great combination!

PaintedThread said...

They all look like fun projects.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like how you put Jan's scraps together to make something unique! And the acorn is fun, too. We can do amazing things with browns and black!

Helen said...

What inspires me to paint from nature? Hmmm... I'll say... color combinations like a red cardinal in snow or a purple iris in green leaves or a yellow sunflower against a blue sky.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,

If something from you is given as a gift and that person knows you then they would certainly see it as art ! creative fabric art !
Looks great !
Have you ever stopped drinking coffee ? I have for a few days. The heartburn has gone but I'm feeling the side effects from caffien withdrawl !
hugs, take care,
Joanne

Susie H said...

I also loved the junco photo and you're interpretation is fabulous! I love how you captured the look. Thank you for the Acorn Block link. Looking forward to seeing what you ended up with!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Cute little bird - he looks kind of sassy!
That table runner - wow! I never would have thought to do that but it's fabulous. Definitely gift worthy. Enjoy your workshop this week.

JanineMarie said...

I love what you did to repurpose the kaleidoscope bits. I am assuming that if you give the table runner as a gift, it will be to someone who knows you, so they will know that it is a gift from your artist heart. Even if they don't know, they will love it. No mistake about it. (Also, thank you for your sweet comment on my blog post this week.)

Sandy said...

Absolutely love the runner, those colors just make me smile big time, they are so pretty together. Beautiful work as always. You are very talented in many areas.
Sandy's Space

MissPat said...

The painting of the junco from Jocelyn's photo is wonderful. And the runner is amazing. It's improv, where anything goes. Who wouldn't love it?
Pat

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Thank you LeeAnna, what a lovely treat to find the junco in my email. You did a splendid job of painting him! Meanwhile, your creativity is overflowing it seems...very neat runner and acorn to be project too. Take care!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

That table runner is gorgeous! Love the hexy-ish shape.
Despite signing up for updates, I'm still not receiving your posts. 😢

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your painted bird, and the kaleidoscope runner is wonderful. Well done with the binding! your brown RSC blocks are fun, cute tiny flying geese, and acorns. It's a great opportunity to use neutrals and tan scraps.
Thank you for sharing all your lovely projects, and linking up!

sonja said...

your acorns in brown tones look like fun and are so autumnal! back in the past people were trained? to tell you what season you were and which colors would look best on you. i knew i was an autumn before i took the quiz. now that my hair is white, i do wear more pastels
but still love ...when autumn leaves start to fall!!!
the junco you painted from Jocelyn's photo is so blue and cheerful!! don't you love to watch paint mingle and dry? thank you for sharing your adventures in the creative world. you inspire us to try new stuff and processes. mahalo!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

You are truly great at puzzles! Love your new table runner. You amaze me for how many projects you are making from the scraps. What a pretty little bird. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss, my weekly show and tell linkup.

Rebecca Grace said...

Wow, LeeAnna -- you captured so much sweet personality in the eyes of your little bird! Like the best children's book illustrations that spark imagination and draw you into a story. You have such a gift!

Susan said...

You are very talented. I always enjoy seeing what you create.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love your Collabs!!!
I think that runner has a modern feel to it, and would not think it was mis pieced.... LOVE how you put it together!!!