Saturday, October 22, 2022

my creative week....

Welcome to this week's creativity round up... a bit of paint, a bit of fabric, lots of color!!!

when I had to switch phones, I tested it by calling my friend Cindy. As we talked about art and life, I doodled the index card above. It didn't turn out like I hoped because I didn't segment the points first. But it was fun, and I got to play with bright watercolors!

I'm going to go back and forth from paintings to sewings.... it's all arting!

I sewed a lot this week, making this for RSC's color of the month, light green... my ongoing block

twinkler by superscrappy

 

close up of the center

all the colors so far

I made a mug rug for my friend that sent the bag of scraps I've been using

couching a pretty trim around the outside

finished this from the same bag of scraps

I love this guy who sings to rescue animals...

so I wanted to try sketching he and Hazel one morning, in pencil

then coloring in with a watercolor wash, very very pretty in person and made me happy

this is an example of his music but he has a lot of videos

 enjoy this moment of peace...


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVx5KgAGaG4

I finished binding this quilt this week...a sample for the kid's class I used to teach. It was all done except for binding (can you tell I was raised in the tropics?) It was made in 2009! (never too late to finish)



kids learned to piece, applique and finish a quilt

some beading on a flower

one of my still blooming nadsturtiums which looks very similar, no?

while watching videos one morning, I tried painting circles, in a zen like meditation, with brush pens on an index card

including my kuretake gold brush

I thought I might just do one color but why do one when you can do many? 

on the back I tried three of my metallic gold pens...click on any image to enlarge it

the top is kuretake..... not metallic to me at all but a true paint brush. On the left is the Faber castelle which has a sort of wide felt tip, and the most metallic but fine nib is uniball on the right

I'm currently finishing the fall colored banner to hang up after Halloween, and last year's kaleidoscope quilt needs quilting. 

I'll leave you with an OLD Halloween quilt... the face is felt pieces that just stick on, it's made of 2" squares and was made about 1998! Hanging on my china cabinet from my grandmother who taught me to quilt.

happy arting this week y'all Zen Stitch starts next week at Kate Ward, and a two week workshop at Ida Lang runs the same time, oy

linking to these fine folk

linking with

patchwork Sunday                    

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 




19 comments:

Sara said...

Wow!! That tropical quilt is so cute, and you always add the perfect little embellishments. The center of this month's Twinkle Star is adorable. Aren't these block fun to make? I've been making some red/white/blue ones this month, but need to get the RSC colorful ones all set together soon.

grammajudyb said...

As always LeeAnna, a riot of color on your post. Love the beading on that tropical flower. It is wonderful. That will be a fun quilt to hang during the upcoming "blah" months if you need a "lift". You can dream of the tropics where you used to live. *smile*

I think your drawing of the donkey and the singer is awesome! I'm going to go listen as soon as I finish commenting. Have a great "arty" week.

Kathleen said...

So much fun in your studio this week. Love the guy who sings to rescue animals and the watercolor version! The tropical quilt is lovely, and yes, you can tell you were raised in the tropics!

PaintedThread said...

So many creative things. I really like those star blocks. I wish I had more time to play!

sonja said...

Hazel and her musical human are a breath of fresh air and pure contented beings. i just watched/listen to ..Sunshine makes me happy... cover again. tears welled up it was soo beautiful and healing! reminds of singing to my Lily late afternoons in the palm groves and beach. depending what song it was ,and i put her name in thereto, she would change gates depending on tempo!!rip mz lily. thanks for reviewing art product for us. love the limey star block. that is gona be a part of a sweet quilty someday.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Definitely a colorful post, LeeAnna!! Congrats on finishing up 3 quilt projects and 2 paintings! Enjoy those upcoming classes.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving your post, full of colour! Those RSC blocks are looking exciting.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I thought I had some old UFOs but you had me beat with 2009. Great job getting it done. It is lovely! Thanks for sharing your art with Oh Scrap!

Ann said...

Your sparkler block is delightful. I always enjoy seeing the diverse projects you work on. Amazing.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Gosh you finished so much this week! Love the fall colors throughout. Matches my fall mood and the outdoors where I live! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

AnnieO said...

Plenty of color and design and unique twists, as usual, in your crafty journey. Thanks for sharing.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Such a joyful post! I love everything you made, especially this cute little tropical quilt.
Thank you for sharing such pretty art, and linking up.

DVArtist said...

You are so talented in so many venues. I love your quilting. The first photo with that green is amazing! Your drawing is awesome. I love how you did the fingers. Thank you for joining FFO.

Susan said...

You're creativity amazes me! Love all the work you do.

Gillena Cox said...

Wow!!! From your doodling to every scrap. I enjoyed it all. Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much❤love

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Yes, your nasturtium looks like the tropical flower on your quilt. A couple of orange nasturtium blossoms are waving in our backyard to my surprise. I thought they were done, What an amazing week of color you had. I love your art!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your art and your sewing are really wonderful and your use of color is what makes it all. "Not Afraid of Color" is the Perfect name for your blog. Love your musical friend as well. With the world so full of greedy self serving jerks, isn't it wonderful to find someone with such a big heart ... and who couldn't love that little raccoon. So enjoyed coming over here today ... Hope you have a fun and safe Halloween ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh - the talent that you possess!!! I love that drawing of the donkey!!! and your mug rug.. and the wall hanging!! What a great week you had - I am so glad you link up to Finished(ornot) Friday so I can ohh and ahh over all your great things!

chrisknits said...

Thank you for sharing your finishes with TGIFF last week. Sorry I am so late in commenting!