Thursday, October 20, 2022

I Like Thursday #320 decorations, sweets, and sweet poodle

 


 welcome to this week's list of likes!

  Starting with my nasturtiums that finally bloomed!

and some wonderful colors are showing up!

I'm not going to eat them but I want to retrieve seeds and can't find the seed, help?

I like cool weather but I woke yesterday to a different 4 day prediction than the day before, near if not above 80F next four days. Plus wildfire smoke which means no open windows.

 boo.... not normal for Colorado this late. Climate has been affected from years of abuse, we live in a big terrarium y'all,  just sayin'

Reading

finished the audio book, Miss Bensons Beetle and loved it. Now listening to: 

 

I am now in love with anything ellery adams... see that black poodle on the front? 

and reading Ellie Alexander's bake shop mystery series on ebook at night

Watching on TV

lots of fun stuff at the moment. Do you watch Survivor and Amazing Race? let's chat...

and the new love boat, oy.... kind of a mess. The Great British Bake show is baaaack... love it and on PBS the series Miss Scarlet and the Duke is back with season 2! Yea! Bravo will soon bring back Family Karma which I just love. New Amsterdam might be in it's final season, sadly as it's one of the few dramas on network tv I like. 

watching on youtube:

 love this little guy, only 10 seconds but it told me we just all speak different languages... no one of them more important than another

need a moment of peace, need to lower blood pressure or just relax? live jelly cam monterey...

our prompt this week  is what is your favorite Halloween candy? As a child and nowadays... 

I used to walk down to the corner store, across from the elementary school, for candy. Back then in the 1960's a quarter could buy as many as 25 penny candies! My favorites were candy lipstick which had the best unique flavor. Another silly fun thing was red wax lips!

 

I also loved sugar daddy pops, that lasted a long time and pulled out all your fillings. I loved so many candy types, and felt quite rich leaving with that tiny brown bag with a dime's worth in it... I would sit on my swing out back, and look through the bag, choosing carefully... 

lookie here! from Amazon

Amazon.com : RETRO CANDY YUM ~ 1960 62nd Birthday Gift Box Nostalgic Candy  Mix from Childhood for 62 Year Old Man or Woman Born 1960 Jr : Grocery &  Gourmet Food

On Halloween I loved getting baby ruth's, 100,000$ bar, sugar babies, butterfingers,rollo caramels, and even the peanut butter chews. I never knew how many licks to finish a tootsie roll pop since I bit them! Back then we had reliable neighbors who never put razor blades in fruit they gave out, or popcorn balls. I loved Halloween so much! 

I still have a sweet tooth, but my teeth are not as strong so caramels are out. I am allergic to soy now and there is soy lecithen in American chocolate so they have to be limited even.  I love the peppermint chocolates from Whole foods, and although we can't go to Trader Joes now I remember their peanut butter cups made with real sugar not corn syrup (another allergy). Despite allergens, we still order once or twice a year See's Candies, soft centers for delivery. I made peanut butter cups last spring from this:

https://preppykitchen.com/peanut-butter-eggs/

I also love English toffee with chocolate and almonds on top. Not too hard, not brittle. 

170 Spook-tacular Halloween Jokes and Puns for Kids
now I am only going to call it scream cheese from now on


New Merch

I had to finally break down and get a new phone.... I had a great little one, in turquoise but technology no longer paid any attention to it as it had the wrong number of "G's" so we got a deal, both have new ones, and I like my cover at least:

 I really just want a tool to make calls... and instead I have a really small computer that might make calls if I can crest the tidal wave of a learning curve.  DH just said, maybe you'll eventually get used to it and stop hating it.  I like the cover.... 

an older Halloween quilt
 Arting this week

Painting and sewing. Finished two sewn projects and painted my own designs while having my morning coffee.... pictures on Saturday's creativity round up post!

 Milo's Moment


I don't get candy, my pawrents are mean and won't give me chocolate or candy. 

Mama: it's for your own good honey as chocolate can be toxic to dogs, and  we shouldn't even be eating sugar... when I bake with oat flour I give you some of the cake...

Milo: whatever. This week we walked more often which I like. I have time to read pee-mails, leave some of my own ....

Mama: ain't that the truth! I've never seen a dog pee so much on a walk! Sometimes nothing comes out too but you lift your leg

Milo: heh heh, you weren't supposed to see that.... that's for all the dogs watching me behind fence. I also like all the leaves that crunch under my enormous poodle feet! 

I like when Mama rakes leaves and plays with me at the same time!!


Don't forget to buy your Halloween candy early so you have time to buy more  after you eat it all. | Halloween Ecard

 please visit these fine folks to read their lists and let me know if you wrote one too!
rosie and the boys nature pics  



20 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

we will look for the books... fall and winter are super for reading... and we will look for sweet stuff for the kiddo's... halloween came faster then I eggs-pected ;O)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love your likes this week. I remember penny candy, and the little paper bags. Bobbin only walks in her yard, but man there smells there, can keep her little nose busy for hours, as long as it isn't too cold. As to the weather....I am supposed to have flurries today, then we are in the 70s for the next 5 days.

Sandee said...

Love the decorations and the flowers. I always love seeing Milo. He's handsome.

I remember all that candy. Yummy.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. Scritches to Milo. ♥

Sara said...

I really enjoy most anything written by both of those authors as well. Our weather has been a roller coaster here too - highs about 40 on Monday and Tuesday, may be near 80 by the weekend. And it's so DRY!! My favorite Halloween candy - seems like it's always been something chocolate. This year I bought only things that I don't like for the Trick or Treaters, so that I'm not even tempted to get into it early.

Cloudia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cloudia said...

Thank you for this fun post! Appreciate you including me. Aloha, Milo!

PaintedThread said...

Nasturtium - after the flower dies back, they'll create these 1/4" to 1/2" pods where the flower was. They look kind of like a gnarly pea. I think there's 3 or 4 seeds inside each pod. Mine are still drying - I haven't tried opening any of them up yet. I love how colorful yours are!

I have SUCH a sweet tooth! I'm kind of glad we're so remote we can't hand out candy anymore. lol. You may be surprised how the smart phone will win you over. Good luck with the learning curve (it sucks).

Sandy said...

The cute little lighted ghost looks like Casper the friendly Ghost from my childhood days. You may not be old enough to know whom I mean. Your flowers are pretty. Nothing blooming here. We've had multiple frost nights, and last night got below freezing. Now is count down to spring mode to see flowers.

Not sure I have or had a favorite Halloween candy. I've always like peanut butter cups, but that wasn't really tied to Halloween. I won't be buying candy again this year. We've not had a dozen kids in the last 10 years in a row.
Sandy's Space

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Ooh, Sugar Babies were a favorite! I had forgotten about them. Great new phone case and hope you come to like the phone, too. They are really quite handy!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow a new up to date phone. Mine is a very old android which is more of a nuisance but I keep it for safety when away from the house. This year we've begun carrying our phones on our walks, you never know. Lots of lovely likes here...always love to see what you are up to. Love seeing your face when you zoom with Joyful!

grammajudyb said...

I don’t remember candy lipstick! Maybe I wasn’t looking! I did like sugar babies, but not many of those others in that Amazon assortment! I don’t watch any reality shows, but I wish we still had cable so I could see the last season of New Amsterdam! I loved that one. Milo, I hope your mama makes you a Halloween treat you can have! Trick or Treat!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like your cute ghost. It's adorable. I don't remember penny candy, but I love anything sweet.

I also like Miss Scarlet and the Duke. I have Passport (I am a supporter of PBS), so I have seen all but the last one. I haven't had time to watch it. I may like Annika even better. I am in LOVE with that show. I've seen all six and want more. They were all great. And the scenery was incredible. Their use of drones to film the sea shots was jaw dropping at times.

Milo looks good in the leaves, too. Such a sweet boy.

Now you know another reason I don't own a cell phone. My landline doesn't go out of style or Gs.

Michelle said...

We have been freezing here in central KY for the past week or so. Very unusual for this time of year to be so cold. Now this weekend it will be close to 80 degrees. The weather is so strange anymore. I enjoy Ellery Adams, but don't think I have read this book. Will have to check it out. Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend.

Annie said...

I chuckle about Halloween candies because we always buy it but the only ones that call in are our grandchildren and they never eat all we buy...it gets eaten by my hubby!! I so love Milo...he’s such a character.
Hugs,
Annie x

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Love your ghost pictures. I used to go to a variety store near my grandmother's and they had penny candy. I used to get a little bag full of candy every time I went! So fun! It's been cool here but is supposed to warm up here this weekend.

jeklystone123 said...

Even if you don’t have an account you can see step by step guide for creating an Planned Parenthood Patient Portal Account and Resetting the Planned Parenthood Patient Portal password as well.


Planned Parenthood Patient Portal

Amila said...

I enjoyed reading your post and it took me back to my childhood. I remember I too had a sweet tooth for candy. These flowers are beautiful and colourful. Beautiful phone cover. Mine is with the wrong 'G's too and it is time to upgrade for a new connection. :)
Amila - https://diaryofanewmom.com/

My name is Erika. said...

Your candy box took me right back to childhood. And 1960 was a good year. That little owl is adorable, and of course, so is Milo. I bet my dogs would say the same thing about what they don't get to eat. hugs-Erika

Kathleen said...

Love those nasturtiums! They are really pretty and the colors are so much fun. No help with the seeds. Glad it is a bit cooler and that Milo got a bigger walk or two. I love his sense of humor about peeing - too funny.

MissPat said...

I was in Canton, OH, for a political collectibles show last weekend, so I'm behind again, as usual. Did you know that the Baby Ruth candy bar is named for Grover Cleveland's daughter Ruth, not Babe Ruth of baseball fame , as many people assume? I think my favorite candy is Butterfingers.
And what happened to your adventurous spirit?
Don't let the new phone intimidate you. It's like having a mini-computer in your pocket. I resisted getting a cell phone for years, but now that I have it, it comes in very handy at times.
Pat